Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

1966, having measles just before Christmas and Santa came early to help me get better with a nice train set with D5572.

That was my first diseasel too, bought as it matched my nice green "Southern" coaches with their white rooves.

Andi

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I crashed mine the night before I started senior school. Took all the skin off the left side of my face. Not a pretty sight...

Hi Enodoc,

Never mind your face, what state was your Go Cart after all that, did it need a repair ?

Repairs cost time and money !

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Enodoc,

Never mind your face, what state was your Go Cart after all that, did it need a repair ?

Repairs cost time and money !

Gibbo.

It was, as they say euphemistically in the aviation world, "withdrawn from use" - by order of my father...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:
13 hours ago, jazzer said:

Of course it was. If you remember the ‘60s you weren’t really there ;)

I remember some of the sixties, steam engines, dirty carriages, even the electric trains on the line with green signs were filthy.

Nice clean diesel trains and very clean electric trains on the Euston line. 

Started trainspotting in the 60s.

I remember some bits. I went to grammar school in 1959, so became more independent in my trainspotting. Summer 1960 start of the Austin fortnight spending 3 shillings and 4 pence (=17p) on a Child's Cheap Day Return from  New Street to Rugby out on the Clacton train and back on a steam hauled evening stopper. Sadly my notes are long since gone but I remember seeing 200 locos in one day. By the following year I had graduated to going with the bigger lads on Sunday trips organised under the guise of the school Railway and Canal Society to Manchester, Liverpool and London. Sadly the trainspotting started to slip a bit later when I discovered the delights that the neighbouring girls grammar held. I must say though that a couple of them were not averse to providing the on-journey entertainment when we started to organise coach trips around the country.

I was not a star performer at school, too many distractions in the real world, so by 1966 I was training on the BR S&T scheme. My last Headmaster wrote on my report "I hope he has done enough work to be successful in his chosen career". Well, I lasted full time to comfortably retire at 56 and was in demand for paid help and advice for another 10 years until I got fed up of the hassles with the Revenue and called it a day.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I remember some of the sixties, steam engines, dirty carriages, even the electric trains on the line with green signs were filthy.

Nice clean diesel trains and very clean electric trains on the Euston line. 

Started trainspotting in the 60s.

Mum trying to look fashionable and dad still looking like her granddad as she told him many a time.

Only a few people down our road had a car. Playing football on the piece of grass opposite our house. Going down the spinney and climbing trees. Coming home covered in mud after falling in the pond.

PC Promotion coming to see mum to have a chat with her after a group of us were caught stealing milk off door steps.

Cut knees from falling off me bike. Fat lip from fighting with the kids in Roundmead. Crashing the go cart we made.

Building camps (my kids when we lived in Essex called them dens?). The best gang camp we had was an Anderson shelter on the allotments, until the bigger kids kicked us out.

Tummy ache from too many unripe apples.

Snow so deep it came over the top of my wellies on the way to school, you were not allowed to wear long trousers until you were in the fourth year of junior school.

1966, having measles just before Christmas and Santa came early to help me get better with a nice train set with D5572.

Ah but that was the sixties. I’m talking about the other sixties.  The ones you describe were the sixties that were the hang over from the fifties, and even the forties , and thirties when we were forced to have short hair and long shorts and the only girls we ever seemed to get a crush on were our mates older sisters who were only interested in blokes even older. Those sixties for me started disbelief as steam suddenly disappeared from Liverpool St, and fizzled out practically in tears as I watched the last of Bulleids wonderful unrebuilt light Pacific’s ease their way out of Waterloo, in disgracefully neglected condition, looking like young men who had grown old before their time, bringing steams magnificent era to a premature end. I remember all that clearly.

Then there were the other sixties that gave rise to the saying that if you remember them you weren’t really there, that rescued me from my bereavement over the death of steam. Those were the sixties that unlike the other sixties really were different to anything that went before. The years of pirate radio, and fantastic new music, the like of which the world had never seen or heard, long hair and other things the old school hated. Those were the sixties when I sort of remember going out but can’t really remember what I did or how I got home although I have a vague recollection that it usually involved alcohol and jazz clubs. 

Then the seventies came along and spoilt it all. Men’s fashions made us look more ridiculous than at any time since the Norman Conquest, and as if getting rid of steam wasn’t bad enough the railways started to become “rationalised” and nights out were so boring I could still remember them the next day so basically there was nothing left to except to eventually get married and become a “normal “.:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Ah, the sixties... Ron Jarvis's pacifics, the finest 7P in the land.  

20200911_174139.jpg.da4d91d97130a9a84c06bb84d5d4df80.jpg

I squidged an 8 pin chip into 34077 and off it went.  And derailed repeatedly until finally I had removed all the interesting dangly bits off the front end and it finally stopped dive bombing the ballast.

Think I prefer diesels really, fewer odd sized wheels and twirly bits and they stay on my rotten track better.

Perhaps a Warship and some EDs will find a home here

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

Ah but that was the sixties. I’m talking about the other sixties.  The ones you describe were the sixties that were the hang over from the fifties, and even the forties , and thirties when we were forced to have short hair and long shorts and the only girls we ever seemed to get a crush on were our mates older sisters who were only interested in blokes even older. Those sixties for me started disbelief as steam suddenly disappeared from Liverpool St, and fizzled out practically in tears as I watched the last of Bulleids wonderful unrebuilt light Pacific’s ease their way out of Waterloo, in disgracefully neglected condition, looking like young men who had grown old before their time, bringing steams magnificent era to a premature end. I remember all that clearly.

Then there were the other sixties that gave rise to the saying that if you remember them you weren’t really there, that rescued me from my bereavement over the death of steam. Those were the sixties that unlike the other sixties really were different to anything that went before. The years of pirate radio, and fantastic new music, the like of which the world had never seen or heard, long hair and other things the old school hated. Those were the sixties when I sort of remember going out but can’t really remember what I did or how I got home although I have a vague recollection that it usually involved alcohol and jazz clubs. 

Then the seventies came along and spoilt it all. Men’s fashions made us look more ridiculous than at any time since the Norman Conquest, and as if getting rid of steam wasn’t bad enough the railways started to become “rationalised” and nights out were so boring I could still remember them the next day so basically there was nothing left to except to eventually get married and become a “normal “.:D

Some of us are old but not that old. :read:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

14 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Some of us are old but not that old. :read:

Ah but I’ve still  got all my own teeth, most of my own hair , and don’t have creaky knees, or sciatica, so I’ll settle for that. :P

On more important matters do you know if the Liverpool St - Hertford/ Bishop Stortford Gresley and Thompson suburbans were vacuum/ or air braked ? The reason I ask is that I’ve just bought my second Hornby L1, which is lovely but unlike the first one it doesn’t have a Westinghouse pump. I have a very distant childhood memory of seeing one at Roydon Mill and being enthralled by the sound of the pump.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Ah but I’ve still  got all my own teeth, most of my own hair , and don’t have creaky knees, or sciatica, so I’ll settle for that. :P

On more important matters do you know if the Liverpool St - Hertford/ Bishop Stortford Gresley and Thompson suburbans were vacuum/ or air braked ? The reason I ask is that I’ve just bought my second Hornby L1, which is lovely but unlike the first one it doesn’t have a Westinghouse pump. I have a very distant childhood memory of seeing one at Roydon Mill and being enthralled by the sound of the pump.

No dentures yet but I think on my next appointment they are going to part of the discussion after the last extraction a month ago.  My hair started to disappear when I was in my 30s, save a hell of a lot on hair cuts and shampoo. I do have a creaky elbow but that has been like it since 1991 when I last rode a motorbike. 

I believe they were vacuum braked. When researching the Hertford Quad the end third is a diagram 105. These were also paired with a diagram 102 BT to form a BT+ T combination, the 102 BT was also part of the Hertford quad. Another formation is  T+T where the second T is a diagram 106. The diagram 106 has a note about it having two vacuum brakes, one for the middle bogie and one for its end one. That is the only difference between a 105 and a 106. I presume the 102 has two vacuum brakes. I am sure on the diagrams it would be noted which stock were vacuum braked, air braked or dual braked.  Added to the above when viewing the train formation books of the 1950s relating to the Cambridge line I cannot recall any formations marked as airbraked https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wNtUp2bp_eTkJGTkJtVVlpRDA/view

Ask Andrew Headstock, I am sure he will give you chapter and verse.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/09/2020 at 23:19, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Dave,

If you are feeling particularly lazy how about 104 centre cars !!!

The only type that the 110 body side resembles closely are the 103 Park Royal sets although you would have to scratch build the cabs. This should not be too difficult as the removal of the corridor gangway and the cutting in of the cab windows is fairly straight forward. The forming of the cab roof dome would have to be done even if a two car 110 set with cabs was used as the route indicator box would have to be removed in any case. I'm sure a bit of plasticard. micro-strip and some filler is within your grasp.

635.jpg

645.jpg

Gibbo.

There was a ? Class 100 driving trailer in the Fison's weedkilling train in the 1980s as spray coach/DVT

Having recently acquired the Invicta 2 coach pack (which doesn't actually include a spray coach) I was wondering is any kind of decent approximation could be done from this?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Seven drunken birds in garden centre.

Sometimes you outweird yourself Clive!

Mike.

More talented than many of the endless acapella groups, all singing the same songs, that have sprung up since Glee and Pitch Perfect appeared on our screens.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

More talented than many of the endless acapella groups, all singing the same songs, that have sprung up since Glee and Pitch Perfect appeared on our screens.

Hi Northy

Wot is Glee and Pitch Perfect? Is it worth missing?

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Something to make everyone smile on a Monday morning.

By heck, S (oviet) Club 7 have changed a bit ! :laugh:

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7