The Mill

• RMweb Gold

A lovely layout Jason. You excel at everything you do.

On another matter, was there ever such a thing as a 'typical grimy industrial'? Perhaps it all started in the 1960's with model railway articles about filling an odd corner of the layout with 'a private siding and a freelance grubby industrial tank'. My only contact with industrials was at an iron works and beside the Manchester Ship Canal, and those locos were clean compared with the BR examples passing on nearby tracks. The really grubby locos appear to have worked in iron or steel works pushing wagons into hot and spark-throwing places. 

Where I was bought up Industrials were often carefully tended, possibly because of the limited number of men involved in their upkeep unlike mainline locos which were 'Common User'. 

Warwickshire Railways has some good examples such as this 1926 Manning Wardle at Rugby Cement in 1961.  http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_indust096.htm

Cadburys locos always seemed clean and even at dirty industrial sites when the gloss had gone off the paint the colour still showed up.

Plenty more around Warwickshire here  http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/index.htm

• Like 1

Afternoon all...

Jason & I have been able to have a few hours working on the layout this morning, adding some of the finishing touches to the scenics & a few more people to the scene. Sadly I don't think either of us thought to take any snaps so nothing to show I'm afraid.

Regards loco weathering for our little layout I guess you can argue either way for how an industrial loco may have been looked after, or not depending on the circumstances, but given that the layout is not based on an actual location or reflecting a specific company we're happy to lean more towards the grotty look because (for us at least) thats one of the attractions of industrial lines & stock. Having seen the RSH in the flesh this morning I don't feel you would need to change anything about it.

A quick search lead me to this 1880-peckett.jpg

A different loco & lighter colour livery but I would say a similar state of condition. The caption says working at a paper mill which is the same type of industry we're currently citing The Mill as being.

Anther one here, similar thing.

2080-peckett.jpg

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A lovely layout Jason. You excel at everything you do.

On another matter, was there ever such a thing as a 'typical grimy industrial'? Perhaps it all started in the 1960's with model railway articles about filling an odd corner of the layout with 'a private siding and a freelance grubby industrial tank'. My only contact with industrials was at an iron works and beside the Manchester Ship Canal, and those locos were clean compared with the BR examples passing on nearby tracks. The really grubby locos appear to have worked in iron or steel works pushing wagons into hot and spark-throwing places. 

Maybe not typical but Grimy yes.  The flickr shots below show colour shots from the 1960's with some very sorry locomotives still working.

On many of the shots you can see the crew clean what they can reach.  There is an interesting shot in Cumbria where a locomotive appears to be bosting brand new wasp strips... However no attempt has been made to even clean the tank, let alone re paint it.

Jason, All proof that you can weather your locomotive as clean or dirty as you like

Andy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/14028836698/in/photostream/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's a little something I have been working on recently, a Judith Edge Ruston 88DS. I need to re-space the frame weights (there should be no gap between them by the looks of it), add pickups and the chip before it can be painted & glazed. Unlikely to be finished by the Leeds show next weekend but if it's running, it'll be coming along anyway. Edit: it's not bolted together in the photo, which is why the bonnet is not in line with the frames :)

msg-9707-0-57406800-1476994564.jpg

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks, it's a shame I never got the pickups done on it's big brother, the 88 (although it would have been unpainted and unglazed if I had.

Still, all being well it will be finished for the layout's next outing in February at the EM/P4 Skills Day near Rochdale, along with (possibly) the RT Models Sentinel that Chris is building.

Was nice to have three locos to choose from today; when we have five (and who know how many more - there is or will be potentially five BR liveried locos too), it may just be a bit hectic although we'll stick to one loco in steam.

• Like 3