Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

• RMweb Premium

For the big four yes, but for the pre-grouping locomotives and goods wagons there is a dearth of not only rtr brake vans but often kits.

SECR - Dancehall brake (Parkside/Peco  ​ Cambrian and London Road models) is just about suitable for the C Class in wartime grey but not the standard models in SECR green.

GCR - Mousa has a 6 wheel brake but the 4 wheel brake is only in plan.

LBSCR - nothing except the old Hornby brake which again is very late.

If you then expand to Bachmann produced commissions the gaps are bigger.

Edit to correct supplier

Edited by Andy Hayter

But what have you in mind?

Hornby and Bachmann produce a GWR Toad brake van and they have appeared in GWR liveries.

Bachmann produces the SR Queen Mary and Pill Box brake vans and they have appeared in SR liveries.

Bachmann and Hornby produce the LNER version of what became the BR Standard brake van. This has appeared in LNER liveries.

Bachmann and Hornby produce the Midland 20T brake van which have appeared in MR and LMS liveries.

Kernow MRC has commissioned a LSWR 10T brake van.

That's not a bad lot for the Big Four and should provide most people with a suitable brake van to run with the Bachmann Club models.

TBH I was more thinking that not all the brake vans that the big four had build have been produced in model forum and was thinking that at least 1 could be done for the club for more of a "oh look we have a complete train or trains" kined of topic in club or on forums but if your happy to use a catalogue brake van then that's just as good although i didn't know Kernow have commissioned a LSWR 10T brake van.

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Premium

The problem is Alan, that for a limited run of 504 models for the club, to have a completely separate tooling would be difficult to make economic.

It is much easier and cheaper to have livery versions of standard Bachmann models - with perhaps some minor tooling variation.

The problem is Alan, that for a limited run of 504 models for the club, to have a completely separate tooling would be difficult to make economic.

It is much easier and cheaper to have livery versions of standard Bachmann models - with perhaps some minor tooling variation.

I wasn't meaning produce a one that had no tooling for just one model I was more thinking along the lines of a number and livery change as i was thinking alone the lines that there was a lot of wagons and guards van built and not all of them produced in model forum

Thanks

Alan

My thoughts as well, but what would the livery be?

Post WW1 SECR???

Other than that I am a bit stuck.

Quite a few ended up as departmental stock. Mostly as mess or tool vans.

Or possibly Longmoor Military Railway. I don't think it's the correct type of Birdcage, but Bachmann seem to like the LMR and it would go with the BR Mark One that they released a while ago.

Jason

Did anyone attend the Bachmann Club members day yesterday and if so, can you reveal what the new collectors club model is that was scheduled to be revealed?

Hi

I have heard it's a Railfraight van in Exibition livery and is priced just under £24 but nothing official yet

Thanks

Alan

Hi

I have heard it's a Railfraight van in Exibition livery and is priced just under £24 but nothing official yet

Thanks

Alan

Yep, it's on the cover of the club mag that just droooed through my letterbox

However Railfreight van tells me very little other than suggesting VAA, VBA, VDA or VEA?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

http://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/featured-products/vga-sliding-wall-van-in-br-railfreight-exhibition-livery.html

VGA van, slightly odd choice!  Can't see anything for N gauge.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Something to go with last years exhibition coach.

Although I got one, I was never quite sure what I could do with it, now you can put it with a vga and leave them both in a siding for a year and await a third to add and maybe figure it out.

Edited by adb968008

Hi Guys

I am back to looking at what club wagons I have and out of all I only seem to have wooden coal wagon 1 steel coal wagon 6 tank wagon and a NCB brake van and 1 set of high sided open wagons and I believe if my memory is correct they did a nuclear flask and a similar van before most of the club stock (other than locomotive's) seem to be before 1948 and after 1968 so not a lot of wagons that can be run in early or late BR steam days dose anyone else feel that Bachmann seem to be missing a trick.

Thanks

Alan

Edited by Thebigshot

Hi Guys

I am back to looking at what club wagons I have and out of all I only seem to have wooden coal wagon 1 steel coal wagon 6 tank wagon and a NCB brake van and 1 set of high sided open wagons and I believe if my memory is correct they did a nuclear flask and a similar van before most of the club stock (other than locomotive's) seem to be before 1948 and after 1968 so not a lot of wagons that can be run in early or late BR steam days dose anyone else feel that Bachmann seem to be missing a trick.

Thanks

Alan

Is that area of the market perhaps better served in the regular catalogue models? will there have been so many one-off or unusual liveries they could have put on the same wagons for that era?

• RMweb Premium

I do have one of the old Railfreight promotional Think Tank wagons that Hornby made for them which I suppose would go with the VGA.

Wasn't there a similarly promotional OAA wagon as well?

Well, to me, this is a model that is:

a. Affordable

b. Something I can actually use on a layout. (My stuff doesn't sit in boxes)

In view of these points, I am seriously considering buying one.

steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the people on here.........................im NOT impressed with the collectors model. Sorry but its just much of the same. We need a Diesel or Steam loco that will stir the collectors IMHO.

Sorry Bachmann but im not impressed with this one this year. I do however support the brand and have and will continue to do so

• RMweb Premium

I would counter argue that not every collectors model must be a big ticket loco/unit etc and that there is a market for smaller items for those with pocket money budgets.  The VGA is a good example of this, an interesting slightly different model that is affordable.

The one area however where the Collectors Club needs to improve is more N scale models, they are lagging behind a bit.  That VGA in N would have been a purchase from me.

• Like 1

I would counter argue that not every collectors model must be a big ticket loco/unit etc and that there is a market for smaller items for those with pocket money budgets.  The VGA is a good example of this, an interesting slightly different model that is affordable.

The one area however where the Collectors Club needs to improve is more N scale models, they are lagging behind a bit.  That VGA in N would have been a purchase from me.

As much as I agree that they need to do at least the wagons in N gauge i just can't do both loco's in both scale and for me the N gauge one wouldn't be purchased by me although I can't speak for anyone else howeve as a noisey person I am I would be interested to know how many club members are N gauge modellers.

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the people on here.........................im NOT impressed with the collectors model. Sorry but its just much of the same. We need a Diesel or Steam loco that will stir the collectors IMHO.

Sorry Bachmann but im not impressed with this one this year. I do however support the brand and have and will continue to do so

Not quite sure why you feel it is "much of the same". We have been given several locos recently, why do we have to have a loco every time? As has been said, not everybody can afford locos all the time.

the last collectors club model that was of real interest to me was the Class 20, I haven't complained about everything since then.

​Roy

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I would agree with Roys sentiments above. The collectors club has a diverse membership just as our great hobby as a whole. We can't all like the same things, railways cover so many eras, locations etc just as we do in our modelling. I was delighted by the WCRC 37 and even more so the Pullmans which I never thought would be produced. There are plenty who don't like WCRC but there are also many of us who do. The same applies for any model that comes out and we should hopefully all find something we do want.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1