N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Rapido say the Pendolinos will be leaving the factory on January 17th, meaning that they should be here by the end of February at the latest.

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

Hello all,

Rapido say the Pendolinos will be leaving the factory on January 17th, meaning that they should be here by the end of February at the latest.

For the latest Rapido newsletter - with more information about the Pendo and other projects and a cool photo of two Pendos passing on Kinlet Wharf - see here:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-UK-Vol--15---Happy-New-Year-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=hCwiII2wwA8

Cheers

Ben A.

Can’t wait till they arrive Ben! Must get the layout wired up in time to run them (once I have all the wheelsets turned down to 2mmFS standards of course - which is going to be a fair few across three pendolinos sets!)

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy (and all...),

This is what the manual says, written in Rapido's own inimitable style:

"Every model train needs a running-in period. Although we are extremely impressed with the smooth operation of the twin five-pole motors that are fitted to the N ‘Pendolino,’ we only schedule a couple of minutes per model for testing at our factory. That is not enough time to get the gears to mesh nicely or to even out any jerky operation in a new motor.

We suggest that, after reading this manual, you put your ‘Pendolino’ on a test loop and just let it run in each direction for an hour or so. Fast and slow. There already should be enough grease in the gearbox so you don’t need to add any more. Just let the thing run. While your ‘Pendo’ is running you can finish reading the manual, then surf over to revolutiontrains.com and purchase another couple of models."

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

"While your ‘Pendo’ is running you can finish reading the manual, then surf over to revolutiontrains.com and purchase another couple of models."

Which given your procurement model its a bit hard to order another 390, or another TEA. I can order more, but I cannot purchase anything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Bomag,

An interesting point, and one that I suppose comes down to definitions. Here is one possible interpretation:

An order is a demand for a good or service, with the understanding that payment will be taken on or after delivery. (Ordering a model from a retailer, ordering a meal in a restaurant.)

A purchase is a transaction in which payment is made and the good or service provided. The gap between money changing hands and the item being supplied depends on what it is and how it's sourced. (Buying a model in a shop, buying a holiday online.).

So it could be argued that our procurement model is more like a purchase since part or all of the payment is taken at the start, with both parties understanding that the item will be supplied as soon as it is ready.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hello Bomag,

An interesting point, and one that I suppose comes down to definitions. Here is one possible interpretation:

An order is a demand for a good or service, with the understanding that payment will be taken on or after delivery. (Ordering a model from a retailer, ordering a meal in a restaurant.)

A purchase is a transaction in which payment is made and the good or service provided. The gap between money changing hands and the item being supplied depends on what it is and how it's sourced. (Buying a model in a shop, buying a holiday online.).

So it could be argued that our procurement model is more like a purchase since part or all of the payment is taken at the start, with both parties understanding that the item will be supplied as soon as it is ready.

Cheers

Ben A.

The superb Revolution models are also an investment since there will only be a single production run of each model.

Best regards,

Jeremy

P.S Pacing up and down now in anticipation of the pendolinos arriving!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Which given your procurement model its a bit hard to order another 390, or another TEA. I can order more, but I cannot purchase anything.

I suspect what Bomag means is he can't "surf on over to Revolutiontrains....." and order another couple of 390s nor TEAs, since the order/purchase book is closed.

I suspect what the press release meant was "surf on over to Revolutiontrains.co.uk and purchase another couple of models, from those still available to do so."

If, however, I've picked up the wrong end of the stick, I apologise......and as you were.

Edited by scottystitch

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scotty,

Yes, good point. I took the word "models" to mean any of the items we are working on. But if he is specifically referring to Pendolinos and TEAs, then yes these models are unavailable.

As it is, there will be some additional Pendolino models (we are waiting for confirmation of exactly what) so who knows, it may even turn out to be correct however we interpret it!!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I prefer paying for the model and then it arriving later to normal pre-orders. This morning I thought to myself 'ooh yay my Pacer's coming this year' (don't laugh, it is...) then I immediately though 'gah, gotta pay for it...' - the pendo's paid for already

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

The great thing with revolution trains pre-orders is that the price you preorder at is the price you ultimately pay.......unlike other manufacturers who take so long to release a model it increases by another 20% or so by the time it hits the shops. Not mentioning any names of course but you know who you are! He he!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hallo,

These Swiss masts from N-Train are 'near enough' to MK1s in my eyes (remember this is subjective.....)

es grüßt

pc

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/N-Train-217.13.html

The Dapol NCAT1 masts are almost identical to those but have more scale size insulators. They are plastci though so might not be so good if you want to string up wires. Dapol sell them through their website and I'm sure shops will still have stock.

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/Dapol-NCAT1.html

I only post the DM link because they have bothered to take them out of the box for the photo!

Hi Gang,

I have read the Railway Modeller review of this and discovered a couple of things I must have missed previously. For the 1st time, I have now seen the very clear markings on the underside stating the direction and order of the coaches. Very clear and easy to understand...so no one should have too many problems marshalling their set.

Also, it seems the drive bogies are fitted with traction tyres and there are spare non tyre fitted wheel sets to swap out if the owner prefers. Railway Modeller reports that the drive is smooth and powerful, shifting the entire train with little effort. I assume this is with the traction tyres fitted. This review seems to back up the previous comments made by layout operators at Warley.

Looking forward to receiving these soon.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

The Revolution Class 320/321 needs your orders to succeed. Please confirm your order by 31st March 2018 with Revolution Trains.

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 1

Hi Ben,

Something slightly off topic but relevant for this forum I think is OHLE which I suspect you have experience in with Horseley Fields.

Did you use N Brass portals at all? With the height of the Pendo being around 4cm with the panto completely up (about the same as the Farish 350) it would only just clear the top of the portal without an A frame attached.

Probably more applicable to the 350 with them having sprung pantos and the Pendos pantograph being posable, but would you share how got round it please? The Pendos pants would need to be at half mast to clear them by my reckoning which would perhaps be a little low prototypically.

Cheers

John

John if you have a look at my pictures on kinlet wharf the pantograph is somewhere between half and 3/4 height and it looks good sitting just below the wires.

If you disconnect the spring on the Farish pantograph it drops them down to a much better height.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

All the masts on Horseley Fields are Dapol, the station portals are StatesmaN, and there are a couple of N-brass portals too.

The "wire" is imagined to be at the height dictated by the Dapol masts, as these are plastic mouldings and fixed. The other portals were constructed to match.

The panto on the Pendolino was set to a height just low enough not to strike the masts - it didn't look unreasonably low to me - but TBH I didn't get that much time to watch the Pendo on HF at Warley...!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

I think prototypical pantograph heights are far lower than many people set them to anyway - perhaps because sprung items like those on the 350 recalibrate our expectation to expect a near obtuse angle between the arms.

If you look at photos of most Brecknell-Willis pantographs, including on Pendolinos, the angle is really quite acute, probably 30 degrees or so. Using the Dapol masts as a guide seems reasonable, certainly they looked the part on HF at Warley.

I based the wire heights and portal spacings for the Catenary on my layout on this thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71391-british-railways-ole-part-one-plain-track/

Average wire height above the rail is given as 4.7M (last post) which is just under 31mm in N, if I've done the math correctly.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack

• RMweb Premium

Which, to refer back to Ben's photograph on the previous page means the head of the pantograph needs to be basically at the height of the 'hinge' between the upper and lower arms, which is really pretty low!

• Like 1