Rapido is hiring...

rapidotrains

Hi guys,

Rapido is looking for another person to help in the office.  Bill, Dan, Mike and I are swamped and stuff is taking longer to get done than we would like. Especially because every time we ask Bill to drive to the Markham post office it takes, like, NINE HOURS. Holy smokes, eh?

(Bill lives in Connecticut.)

At this point we need someone to start part time (about three days a week), with the possibility of increasing to full time in the future if necessary.   

Here are the qualifications required:

- You need to be well organized and comfortable with administrative tasks.

- You need to be very comfortable with Microsoft Excel and Word.

- You need some experience with photo editing or other design software.

- You need to have experience with accounting and/or database software.

- You need to be a model railroader and be able to work on models, preferably including wiring.

- You need to have an understanding of Rapido's philosophy and product line. (I suppose you don't need to know about our product line at the start, but if you don't know our product line at all, how did you find out about this and why are you applying?)

- You need to be calm and able to project that calmness onto angry customers screaming about the 0.4mm tear in their Park Car packaging.

- You need to be well spoken and able to write emails that will withstand my obsessive-compulsive grammatical scrutiny.

- You need to be able to fix N scale models (you need to be able to SEE N scale models) and you must be able to fit them in your mouth for the occasional advertisement.

- You need to be sociable and not make others want to run away. 

- You need to be able to start last Tuesday.

- You need to share our sense of humour. If you are aggravated by anything in this list, don't bother applying.

- You need to not smell bad.

- You need to not look like you slept in your car.

- You need to be legally able to work in Canada and be willing to commute to Markham, Ontario on your dime. The private jet is busy bringing Mike from Peterborough (Ontario) so it can't pick you up from the Isle of Skye every day. Sorry.

Please send a resume and cover letter through the contact page of our web site.

I should caution in advance that we believe in Affirmative Action and preference will be given to Sasquatches, Ogopogos and other mythical creatures.

Thanks and regards,

Jason

.....Here are the qualifications required:

-

- You need to be sociable and not make others want to run away. 

- You need to not smell bad.

- You need to not look like you slept in your car.

I think the above three requirements rule out a noticeable proportion of potential British-based candidates, if model railway shows are anything to go by!  :jester:

what's a "resume"?

A CV.

We have a sasquatch on here, expect him along shortly

Not if he's hanging out with Ogopogo today. (They do both live in the great northwest!)

Had this not been resolved, they might both be living in Canada today.

- You need to be legally able to work in Canada and be willing to commute to Markham, Ontario on your dime. The private jet is busy bringing Mike from Peterborough (Ontario) so it can't pick you up from the Isle of Skye every day. Sorry.

I should caution in advance that we believe in Affirmative Action and preference will be given to Sasquatches, Ogopogos and other mythical creatures.

Of course Champ lives a little closer. Might be a bit of a swim up the Richelieu, then the Saint Laurent past Montréal, etc.

Rapido is looking for another person to help in the office.  ...

Here are the qualifications required: ...

Terrific position description Jason. I wish my HR people would let me be so direct. It describes exactly what you need. Good luck with your job search. I hope you find a good match for your team.

And wonderfully Canadian. I've not seen "sorry" very often in position descriptions. (There should be more of them. It's the best way to reset unreasonable expectations.)

• RMweb Premium

Have you ever smelt the Sasquatch. Spose that rules me out!

Part time is ok, April, May, June, July, August, Sept. The rest of the year I'm gone south of the border.   

Edit: I am actually looking for employment in model trains.

I'd take the job but don't know what excel is but I excellent at being drunkI'm well spoken but the English canny understand me cos I'm fae Glasgow. Railway modeller but know nothing about wiring,.

Is Canada near Scotland? Will you pay for a taxi I haven't slept in my car because I've been in a nightclub all night long and can't remember where I left my car.I don't smell apart from the odd whiff of whiskey, cigarettes and dirty women.

When do I start?

Love the different approach to the Model Rail advertising placed on here earlier in the year. Hasn't PC made the world dull ;-p

Sorry but certain matters have to be taken seriously and recruitment is one that certainly does - especially in a large company. The ad wording placed on RMweb had to be the same as that placed elsewhere and it was all done by Bauer's HR department. I appreciate that I suffered a sense of humour failure over some of the sarky comments that were posted, but as I said, I considered the topic to be one which shouldn't be treated lightly. I don't suppose Jason has put that RMweb wording in his local paper or wherever he's ACTUALLY doing his recruiting. I doubt that he seriously expects to get anyone from this side of the pond - the last time I looked (a good few years ago) Canadian employment law didn't allow it unless there was NO Canadian suitable for the job.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Yes, severe sense of humour failure.

Having prepared many job advert descriptions myself that complied with all the multitude of anti-discrimination etc legislation I'm fully aware that advertising is a soulless activity where there's so little you can actually put in print.

It was therefore very surprising and refreshing to see the wording of Jason's 'advert'. Despite the fact that the content may be legally 'interesting' you did get a very good idea of the post and type of person he was after. This is a stark contrast to typical job adverts, Model Rail included, which are so corporate and lacking in job specific detail.

Getting the right people for jobs is a difficult, time consuming and costly task these days. Not something to be taken lightly but I'm not sure that having long lists of things you can't say or ask helps either employer or employee in the long run.

In reality Jason's old-school open and honest version of his 'advert' really reflect the fun and scope of the role. If he were permitted to use such wording formally it might even mean that he ended up with exactly the person he wanted/needed without any thought of descrimination.

The best gag in this thread relates to Jason's line

"I should caution in advance that we believe in Affirmative Action and preference will be given to Sasquatches, Ogopogos and other mythical creatures."  

when it turns out there is an RMWeb member  using the pseudonym Sasquatch! :mosking:

Sorry, just seen post 7!

Archived