That got finished quick.

Do keep up at the back..........

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

On 08/10/2021 at 22:25, NHY 581 said:

20211008_220848-01.jpeg

For a moment, upon first glance, I thought you had found an alternative to the old Triang "dock authority shunter"...

It took a second, closer look to spot the longer hood almost completely hidden by the wagon in the foreground!

Although I have no need of a Class 14 myself, I cannot help but admire the workmanlike outline and shape of it as a loco. Also, whenever I see one I immediately think of the Ventraxians* as described by the late, great Douglas Adams in "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Universe"**

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Steve S

* I may have this wrong - it's late at night/early in the morning, and I have no access to the book to check (my much valued first edition was "accidentally thrown away" by my (vindictive) ex wife). The species were responsible for the destruction of Earth, and their poetry is widely regarded as the second worst in the known universe)

** If you are a fan of the books, maybe you'll agree that the description of "a large, bulbous nose" is what links the two?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

For a moment, upon first glance, I thought you had found an alternative to the old Triang "dock authority shunter"...

It took a second, closer look to spot the longer hood almost completely hidden by the wagon in the foreground!

Although I have no need of a Class 14 myself, I cannot help but admire the workmanlike outline and shape of it as a loco. Also, whenever I see one I immediately think of the Ventraxians* as described by the late, great Douglas Adams in "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Universe"**

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Steve S

* I may have this wrong - it's late at night/early in the morning, and I have no access to the book to check (my much valued first edition was "accidentally thrown away" by my (vindictive) ex wife). The species were responsible for the destruction of Earth, and their poetry is widely regarded as the second worst in the known universe)

** If you are a fan of the books, maybe you'll agree that the description of "a large, bulbous nose" is what links the two?!

Hi Steve, 

Ventraxians are Cats (ish). To quote a source re Hitchhikers Guide; 

"According to the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Vogon poetry is the third worst in the Universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria, and the worst is by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex, who perished along with her poetry during the destruction of Earth, ironically caused by the Vogons themselves. Vogon poetry is seen as mild by comparison"

I find the look of the early diseasels really attractive and perhaps for the reasons you put forward. In any event, they are very old school to my eyes. 

As you allude to, the Class 15 above does indeed remind me of the Dock Authority shunter. The Triang DA was a favourite of mine from my early years playing with trains. 

The Class 14, along with the Class 16 also appeal for this very same reason and when re-released by Heljan  next year, a 14 will definitely appear at Bleat Wharf as an alternative to steam. 

Not too sure about a Class 16 as with my limited ( very) knowledge of the subject, they seemed not to venture far away from East London or on transfer freights, and certainly not to East Anglia.............but it does look nice and there is always Rule 1

And of course, these early diseasals are quite the colourful chaps to have pottering about a layout. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

I don’t know what books you may have, but Diesels in East Anglia - Dr I C Allen ISBN 86093 105 6 - & Diesels on the Eastern (in colour) - Michael Welch & Terry Phillips ISBN 978 0 7110 3264 4 - are two I would recommend if you can locate copies. The latter particularly for weathering and covering DMU’s as well as locos.  The GER society also has a downloadable PDF on modelling which has shed allocations for various years which is very helpful.

Class 16’s we’re only at Stratford and the local area it covered, never sub-shedded being too problematic. Class 15’s & 24’s Stratford & Ipswich and likewise, never really penetrating into Norwich or Cambridge areas, with Class 30/31 being at Cambridge & Norwich as well as the others. As for the Class 21’s well, what can you say……..except the first was re-engined at Paxman’s Brittania works, behind St Boltophs Station in Colchester. 

Bob

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob. 

Both of those volumes ( and others!)  have caught my eye. 

'Santa's book list' is certainly getting longer this year. 

Re the Class 16s allocation, yep, as I thought. Probably not trusted to go too far lest they combust. However, in our world......

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, not a particularly productive day but I have at least made a start on the ground cover. 

20211009_214029-01.jpeg.2fe3aeddf949890428c4dcf43a29572e.jpeg

DAS clay laid onto a thin bed of PVA to a depth of roughly sleeper height, give or take. 

Yard office pressed in to eliminate gap and now waiting for the clay to dry. 

20211009_214046-01.jpeg.ff42e8f966cec37a1eab96bf0d76b176.jpeg

You will I'm sure, get the gist. 

20211009_214119-01.jpeg.723e2c20f3a0b28bd7934eef09912f68.jpeg

Rob. 

Hi Rob nice to see some modelling, the DAS looks pretty wet is that as it came out the packet or have you added an agent to assist? and for flatness that looks spot on what was your tool of choice to achieve that.

Cheers

Ade

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Hi Rob nice to see some modelling, the DAS looks pretty wet is that as it came out the packet or have you added an agent to assist? and for flatness that looks spot on what was your tool of choice to achieve that.

Cheers

Ade

Thanks Ade. 

The DAS was smoothed using a bit of water, nothing else. In terms of flatness, a Mk1 rolling pin was deployed. 

20211010_131426-01.jpeg.031ca5967c081a312744549ccdfb46c6.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I thought that was the underlying rock strata...?

"A strange piece of rock soon old Morgan found,
It was lying there, shining on the dust covered ground,
He picked it up closely and he let out a call,
'Cause written right through it in Welsh was "Porthcawl"!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

20 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve, 

Ventraxians are Cats (ish). To quote a source re Hitchhikers Guide; 

"According to the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Vogon poetry is the third worst in the Universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria, and the worst is by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex, who perished along with her poetry during the destruction of Earth, ironically caused by the Vogons themselves. Vogon poetry is seen as mild by comparison"

See, I knew I had probably misremembered both the race and their standing in literary circles! Thank you for the correction - @NHY 581 is one hoopy frood who knows where his towel is at! 

Steve S

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

There was an 08 trialed on the C&HPR for one day in the 60’s - that’s a good enough excuse for me to buy one right?

Dunno about an 08, but you can have an 03, definitely, D2377 was a regular in the last years.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JustinDean said:

Liking this photo a lot Rob!

Is this a Bachmann 08?
There was an 08 trialed on the C&HPR for one day in the 60’s - that’s a good enough excuse for me to buy one right?

Jay

Hi Jay, 

Yep it is a Bachmann 08. 

Acquired from a certain auction site. Bit miffed as what was described as mint and hardly run was neither with a botched repair to the front step and wheels and pick ups testament to a lot more running that had been described. 

That said, an evening spent cleaning and adjusting has transformed it. The botched repair was tidyed up and hey presto! 

Not too bad at all.  

A spot of running in should be of benefit. 

So all good. 

However, I would like to find a Hornby example at some point as I think they have the edge over the Bachmann example......,....

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Dunno about an 08, but you can have an 03, definitely, D2377 was a regular in the last years.

Al.

Two 03’s were used - one at Cromford and another on the Middleton Bottom to Sheep Pasture section. I’ve got one of them….despite modeling Middleton Top!

Edit - Three 03’s! I’ve found another one. 
D2377 - Cromford 1960/61

D2383 - Sheep Pasture - Middleton Bottom

D2380 - took over at Cromford in 1965

Edited by JustinDean
More info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Jay, 

Yep it is a Bachmann 08. 

Acquired from a certain auction site. Bit miffed as what was described as mint and hardly run was neither with a botched repair to the front step and wheels and pick ups testament to a lot more running that had been described. 

That said, an evening spent cleaning and adjusting has transformed it. The botched repair was tidyed up and hey presto! 

Not too bad at all.  

A spot of running in should be of benefit. 

So all good. 

However, I would like to find a Hornby example at some point as I think they have the edge over the Bachmann example......,....

Rob. 

You’ve answered my next question! Who makes the better version? 
Looks right at home on your layout mate. 

Jay