Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Yep, under floor engined rubbish. I know the 1st generation DMU's had under floor engines but at least they sounded good and were comfortable.

Really miss those days as well. Mind you I keep meaning to have a trip up to the Cumbrian Coast for a bit of tractor action. Hard to believe that regular 37 haulage is back in 2015. I thought once the Rhymney services finished that really was the end. Just goes to show you never know what's round the corner.

True. I watched a video the other day that had a full rake of NSE at derby. I believe that the top and tail class 20s that ran the Derby to Matlock for a period comprised of NSE stock.

• RMweb Premium

No they are TPM's. I could do some however they would be no better than these and cost me more to have done. I just hope that Bernard has some in stock.

Cheers for those pics Paul, they look great. I'm pretty certain now that mine will be 019 (perhaps 011 on the other side). I am also going to add a replacement roof grille for the No 2 end to my 3D print shapeways shop as the later style one adopted by Dapol is a very odd decision and clearly wrong in more occations than it is right!

attachicon.gif2015-10-24 11.02.03.jpg

Its a shame Dapol compromised the tooling on their 56. it kind of puts me off the model, yet it is better than the Farish effort.

It is very much better yes although I am still not conviced that the cabs are 100% correct. Who would have thought a class 56 cab would be so hard to replicate? I do struggle to understand the decision on the no 2 end roof grilles.

Edited by RBE

The 47 has stock containing intercity Mk1s and provincial mk2As. The 31 is towing BR blue mk2As.

I'd be inclined to say their not 2a's. Looking at the photo of the 31, the MK2 behind the loco is certainly a MK2 B or C, as it has the long door bump-strips and the guttering wrap around into the gangway, where as 2a's were internal down the inside of the door pillar. D & above were the same but air-con and sealed glaze units, where the vehicles in the photo have the centre sliding window.

Nice photo, those MK2's look quite new in the photo. What year was it taken?

Edited by srihaggis

Sorry yes you are correct. I said mk2A simply as meaning not the air con versions with sealed glazing units. A little sloppy of me there. The class 31 photo was taken in 1991 and the class 47 one in 1993.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is very much better yes although I am still not conviced that the cabs are 100% correct. Who would have thought a class 56 cab would be so hard to replicate? I do struggle to understand the decision on the no 2 end roof grilles.

The cabs get me too. There is something not quite right. Either the cab window is doesn't have enough vertical height. So it might be the profile of the roof is too flat?

Another annoyance is using a romanian cab window on BREL versions.

If I remember rightly the loco is slightly over wide. This means that to get the 'face' right it puts the railstrip position high if the overall height if the loco is to be correct. This then puts the cab side windows too high and the roof itself too shallow. I will do some proper measurements when mine arrives.

Edited by RBE

Hi Cav,

Having looked at a few pics, it looks like for your time period the NSE coaches are more common than IC MK1s. MK2s seem to be more common than MK1s too.

Pic below was meant to be a class 45  on a DMU replacement so I wasn't too pleased to see a class 31 turn up.

I also remember the Newcastle to Poole cross country service was often a Peak which work as far as Brum. The loco worked the return service later in the day.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-62793200-1445847624_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice picture taken in my manor. Spent many a day on that bridge in my youth. Its nice to see possible variation in motive power other than class 47 haulage. It looks like I need to get myself some of the farish mk2 (A,B,C) types!

Nice picture taken in my manor. Spent many a day on that bridge in my youth. Its nice to see possible variation in motive power other than class 47 haulage. It looks like I need to get myself some of the farish mk2 (A,B,C) types!

No worries I went there about 4 times in search of the last Peaks, there was a good variety of trains about during that time so even if I didn't see a Peak it was still worth going.

Are there plenty of farish MK2s about? It's good that they do the Bs and Cs.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-59677200-1445851145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The farish ones are new tooled and very detailed but come at a price. Mid twenty pounds price level. The scouse shop may have em cheaper but I haven't looked. I could get a couple of them and run them with my IC Mk1's as DMU replacements.

Nice pic again btw. I had hundreds of pics on there back in the day but lost them all during my off rail period!

Edited by RBE

No worries I went there about 4 times in search of the last Peaks, there was a good variety of trains about during that time so even if I didn't see a Peak it was still worth going.

Are there plenty of farish MK2s about? It's good that they do the Bs and Cs.

Cheers Peter.

I've never seen those coaches before. What were they used for?

The farish ones are new tooled and very detailed but come at a price. Mid twenty pounds price level. The scouse shop may have em cheaper but I haven't looked. I could get a couple of them and run them with my IC Mk1's as DMU replacements.

Nice pic again btw. I had hundreds of pics on there back in the day but lost them all during my off rail period!

Sorry to hear that about your pics, I would hate to loose all my slides.

A couple of blue grey MK2s would look ok with the MK1s you just have to make sure the MK2s are the early vac brake ones unless your MK1s are duel brake.

Cheers Peter.

I've never seen those coaches before. What were they used for?

Cav is right, NSE translator/ barrier coaches for taking EMUs from I think Derby or York back to the southern.

Cheers Peter.

This will sound terrible as I sign the route but the shrubbery is a bit more dense these days plus I only see it from rail level. I'm thinking those pictures are Clay Cross junction?

No to far out Marcus, The pics are taken from a footbridge just North of Chesterfield station.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Cav,

Nice to see the line up of locos, shame about the peak spoiling it all :-p

Yes the Dapol grid is a foot too wide. Easily seen if you place a 47 and 56 body "bottom to bottom".

I'm not sure if the windows are too shallow as well. They certainly appear to be, but this could be an illusion thanks to the over width.

When I get around to doing mine up, I plan to fit BHE class 50 etched windscreens in a effort to give the windscreens a bit of a better shape and also replace the over size multiple sockets and cable. The under frame doesn't look bad from memory, the bogies are particularly nice

Jo

I don't think the face is bad just too big and hence to high making the side windows too high and the roof too shallow. Not much you can do about it really though as its a full tooling job, I think the front windows are ok shapewise, making them more droopy isnt what it needs I don't think. The cab roof may benefit from a bit of filing as there is a definate kink in the shape which isnt as pronounced in the real roof. I'll see how I feel when it arrives.

Also shush about the peak. Its one of my fav locos!

I have some scale MU cables on my shapeways site. They are lovely but so fine that they will only print them as a print anyway option in FED.

I have successful prints though and they look the dogs, however they are fragile so only adult modellers that take good care of their models should use them.

Edited by RBE