Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

A bit done today. Made some filing cabinets and painted up a load of office workers.

Here are a couple of pics, one of the beardy boss grilling a worker and the overall scene. Does look a bit rough on photos but to the eye much better frustratingly. I need to find a way to finish the edges of those dividing walls and then I will be happier!

post-6894-0-52973300-1449335182_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-82611100-1449335203_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 11

Cheers guy's as I said it does look a bit rough in the photos but better to the eye. I will certainly be trying to tidy up the cut edges once the building is done externally though. It is quite dark inside with the roof on and as I am not fitting any lights in there it is a subtle detail which is what I want. It should be light enough to take a sneaky peek inside without it shouting out "look at me!" at the front of the layout.

Would be too much I think. I might just do another application of sharpie along the edge and try to catch the paper edges too, those are the issue on pics, they have a very visible white edge. In real life it doesn't look anywhere near as harsh. You have to bear in mind that those dividing walls are 1mm thick!

Thanks George. Not done anything else on it yet as I'm trying to get some commissions completed over the next couple of weeks.

I am very keen to crack on though and get the track wiring finished on the layout and some primer on it ready for the base colours for the sleepers and rails. I'll then be doing the platform edging, signal and posts/walls that support the station building and bridge prior to ballasting the track. Once that's done it will be a massive step forward.

I need to be at least at that point and hopefully much further by March when the layout will be at the Mansfield show as an under construction demo piece.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Thanks George. Not done anything else on it yet as I'm trying to get some commissions completed over the next couple of weeks.

I am very keen to crack on though and get the track wiring finished on the layout and some primer on it ready for the base colours for the sleepers and rails. I'll then be doing the platform edging, signal and posts/walls that support the station building and bridge prior to ballasting the track. Once that's done it will be a massive step forward.

I need to be at least at that point and hopefully much further by March when the layout will be at the Mansfield show as an under construction demo piece.

A while off - but hopefully be at Mansfield for a viewing via a jolly on BR.

Neil (Mason) will probably have about half a dozen more layouts churned out by then.

Ian

Yes probably as he builds them for a living now and has lots of modelling time. I on the other hand don't get hardly any time per week to model and also fit commission work into that. Place on top of that my spine recovery and it's not so easy to turn things around. I will be chuffed to get the main aspects of the layout turned around by March.

I hope that you can make it to the show as it has been a good while since we caught up with a chin wag.

Had a little play last night with false coal loads for my HAA mgr rake, they need to be easily put in and taken out as I will only run one rake to represent all services through BoT. This is what I came up with. Very simple, takes hardly any time and I think it looks great. I'm planning a video tutorial on this when my back gives up causing me grief!

post-6894-0-11232800-1449936803_thumb.jpg

I have also drawn these and ordered them from shapeways to build the gantry signal.

post-6894-0-88239600-1449936852.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 7

Had a little play last night with false coal loads for my HAA mgr rake, they need to be easily put in and taken out as I will only run one rake to represent all services through BoT. This is what I came up with. Very simple, takes hardly any time and I think it looks great. I'm planning a video tutorial on this when my back gives up causing me grief!

attachicon.gif2015-12-12 15.40.45.jpg

I have also ordered these from shapeways to build the gantry signal.

attachicon.gif2015-12-12 12.28.38.jpg

Nice

Those HAA release doors make decent slides in real life apparently.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Mmmmmm...... That signal gantry looks strangely familiar. Cracking work once again mate. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. The coal load in your hoppers looks good. Waiting with interest to see the method you've employed. Will it be good for stone loads in OO by any chance. think you know why I'm asking :derisive:

I thought you'd like the signal heads. They are on the sprue reversed to how they are on the signal gantry though.

The technique for those loads is as usable in OO as much as N. I could do a photo step by step but I think a video would be nicer. I have a cold though at the moment so decided not to film it today. I prepped a few earlier so might do a film tomorrow if I'm feeling better.

Regards the HAA Cav I remember when visiting relatives counting the consist passing through Grange Over Sands from the well defunct pits in Cumbria to Fidlers Ferry in the mid eighties to about 32 wagons. I had a few in Minitrix in a brief attempt in N way back and it wasn't cheap then.

The rake used on the Denby branch mentioned above had a brake van at each end. These were through air piped brake vans and allowed a train crew at each end of the train to allow the staff to open and close the many manual gated level crossings on the route.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got the 3D printed class 56 grilles back today. Could not be happier. I have now considered these a success and added them to my shapeways shop for purchase. Here are the grilles added to my 56. Once painted they should pretty much vanish into the rest of the grille line!

post-6894-0-23340800-1450824859_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1