Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Just take your time mate, I can understand your frustration, I had the same when I did my Hip.

Just do little things when you feel up to it ( like a dutch 08 haha ) and then you can hit it once your 100%

Yes thats a good idea. The 08 is all prepped! Haha.

I am actually putting my sideline modelling business website together in short blasts at the moment while I have time as I can sit for short periods. I just can't lift things or stretch.

In other news. Been thinking about steel trains today. I currently have a full rake of unused Dapol steel hood wagons. These are nice however I don't remember many steel trains of them running around as a full rake back in the day. BDAs and BAAs being more to my mind. I'm wondering whether selling the hoods off to fund a rake of BDAs would be a better bet?

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

Yes thats a good idea. The 08 is all prepped! Haha.

I am actually putting my sideline modelling business website together in short blasts at the moment while I have time as I can sit for short periods. I just can't lift things or stretch.

In other news. Been thinking about steel trains today. I currently have a full rake of unused Dapol steel hood wagons. These are nice however I don't remember many steel trains of them running around as a full rake back in the day. BDAs and BAAs being more to my mind. I'm wondering whether selling the hoods off to fund a rake of BDAs would be a better bet?

Run the VTGs as part of a mixed formation with whatever other steel wagons you have; far more typical of the sort of main-line train you'd get through Burton, which might have traffic to and from several disparate locations. Coil wagons from Teesside, alongside long-section (girders)and rod-in-coil from Scunthorpe and steel bar from Rotherham in one direction, coil (for Middlesborough) and rod-in-coil (for Wakefield).

Even those trains conveying only coils are often composed of several different types, depending on the different sizes of coil, and whether they're hot or cold-reduced.

Thats a thought but I then need to buy extra steel wagons and hench more cost. I dont have any flats at all yet. I was considering selling some if not all of the VTGs to fund some more typical BDAs. I dont know.

Edited by RBE

Spent a little of my allowed sitting time adding the chopped through interior of the industrial units. Lots of desks and office equipment to build and add now together with some office workers.

post-6894-0-90192800-1445532647_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

I can't add a huge amount on steel trains to what Brian has already explained, but what I would say is this:  When researching the steel trains for Horseley Fields (albeit post your time frame) we found that the wagons are very much selected according to use.

Our layout is based loosely on the steel terminal at Wolverhampton, and we found that steel products intended to go into warehouse itself would usually be carried in covered wagons (telescopic hood types usually, but also some canvas covered internationally registered ones) while the steel destined for immediate transhipment, or that was going to be stacked in the yard, would be on open wagons like SPAs, BBAs, BAAs and BDAs.

I don't know whether this was a function of the quality of the steel, its temperature, or both, but these were our observations.

cheers

Ben A.

You may well have just found my 56 (019). It was as you say a red striper till the end and also a long term toton nottinghamshire coal pool loco.

post-6894-0-53769700-1445555140_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 5

Cheers Ben thats useful. I dont remember seeing many telescopics when I was a lad. Virtually all the steel trains through Chesterfield where I live were either slab or billet on BDAs or coil on BAAs. Not sure what Burton had though as it had trains from all over the place going through there. I would assume though that a mixed train of hoods and open types would still be conveying coil as a block working meaning BAAs? Who knows.

Go with 019 mate. Also the weathing in that picture I'm sure you could do to a tee.

Hope that backs getting better. Nice to see you slowly getting back to your modelling. The buildings look superb.

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, just really busy at work.

All the best.

Marcus.

Indeed Marcus. Railfreight pink stripe livery was always a fave! It also appears from photos on google that 019 didn't carry railfreight logos to the cab sides at any point. Interesting. Also for a loco pooled to work nottinghamshire coal it is seen on lots of different services so my steel trains should be a goer.

Thanks for the comments on the building its not much but its a start. Have a lot of desks and such to build now though before I can glue the floors in and put roofs on!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1