Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Well a bit more done to Burton tonight. Pointwork has had their sleepers isolated so now in theory a train could run. They have also had tiebars fitted ready for point motors to be attached. The first bit of scenic work has gotten underway in the form of a crank linkage from the yard entrance point to the catchpoint. The entry point is controlled via a ground frame so the catch is moved by the action of the main point being thrown by the groundframe lever. I have represented the link with a couple of etched signal cranks and a length of guitar string soldered to the cranks and to wire stubs glued into holes along its route. The end linkages are tinned copper wire bent to shape. Although not a 100% accurate representation of the actual linkages and cranks it certainly adds a bit of interest to proceedings I feel.

post-6894-0-15446500-1442879935_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-46159900-1442879954_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-14551600-1442879975_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-96200400-1442879995_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I also added some MAS concrete ducting after this shot but it was very late after I did that so called it a night. It was made from 2x1mm microstrip with the cappings filed onto it with a sharp trianglular needle file. That's no mean feat I can tell you. Looks good though!

Edited by RBE

I also added some MAS concrete ducting after this shot but it was very late after I did that so called it a night. It was made from 2x1mm microstrip with the cappings filed onto it with a sharp trianglular needle file. That's no mean feat I can tell you. Looks good though!

Hi Cav,

Trackwork looks superb, doing 4mm cappings the same way did my head in so well done on doing it in 2mm.

Cheers Peter.

Not much done since last visit however the 60 now has windows bufferbeams and its first application of false shadow in preperation for the weathering. This loco will be pretty clean though as the loco was delivered to traffic in february 1991. This will mean roof dirt, false shadow, a few small runs from rain and a dirty chassis. All else will remain quite dirt free.

post-6894-0-24736600-1443308222_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Yeah thats the plan. They look pretty good on ballast duties too. I like RF grey ones but everyone seems to do the mixed pair thing and I reckon just a pair of blue ones will be nice.

I didnt get chance to do wiring last night as the back was very bad so rested up. I just managed to fit 30 mins in to get the glazing and bufferbeams back on the 60.

The other day my aluminium tube arrived for the tea tanks. I've also drawn up some GPS25 bogies for 3D printing for them. Not that I'll have time anytime soon to make a start on building them.

Nothing wrong with a pair of RF ones.......

post-18515-0-32519000-1443388378_thumb.jpg

Then again a blue pair is nice.......

post-18515-0-09096900-1443388438_thumb.jpg

But there is something about a mixed pair....

post-18515-0-07309200-1443388487_thumb.jpg

Decisions, Decisions.....

Sorry Cav probably made you're decision even harder now. HaHaHa.

Seriously though the Layouts coming on a treat. Track work looks stunning.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Nah I actually think blue for them both although the RF ones do look stunning. I actually seem to have to much RF going on. I already have a 37, a 47, a 58 and a planned 31. A 20 too? Maybe haha. Who knows. I may end up with a RF 56 yet.

More work on the layout done tonight. Laid concrete signal ducting and built the Moor street bridge deck at the rail level. Starting to set the scene now. I'll take some pictures in the morning to show progress.

Cheers George. I placed the building there to see how it fit and what it would look like compositionally. I think it sets the scene well. I need to cut a piece of pir insulation to fit the lower area and then carve out the lie of the land there. The building will actually sit about 10mm higher up than it does there and the yard that surrounds the building will rise at the bridge side to track level as it runs around the back and then fall down again as it goes toward the station to form a yard for the adjacent building that wont be on the layout. This yard will have an embankment up to the rail yard covered in grass with shrubs and trees.

• Like 1

Nah I actually think blue for them both although the RF ones do look stunning. I actually seem to have to much RF going on. I already have a 37, a 47, a 58 and a planned 31. A 20 too? Maybe haha. Who knows. I may end up with a RF 56 yet.

More work on the layout done tonight. Laid concrete signal ducting and built the Moor street bridge deck at the rail level. Starting to set the scene now. I'll take some pictures in the morning to show progress.

60027 is looking good.

You could always have a pair of blue ones and then a mixed pair! You know it makes sense.....

Having a dry fit of the building gives you a good idea of how it is going to look.

I could Alex but I have other locos I would like more of such as 47s, 31s and 37s. I probably ought to invest in a 56 and another 58 really. I think a blue, RF or large logo 56 is the way forward as I could do with something that would be at home on steeltrains as well as coal. I am planning on using the petroleum 60 on steel too though as it was not uncommon to see that in the early days. In fact some of the petroleum ones were actually allocated to the metals sector!

I can understand where you are coming from as you have a lot of different traffic to cater for. However, I can see a shopping list including a mixed pair of 20s, several 31s, 37s, 47s, Blue, Original Railfreight and Large Logo Grids, more 58s and a couple more 60s....get playing the lottery!

Some Coal 60s were also regularly seen on Metals workings too. I know 004 was used on Steel.

Like you, I have quite a few locos that I would like to have on Boxenby but first off need to sort out the every day prototypical fleet!