Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to find mine... though I'm scared to take it out of the box....

Chicken ! Go on I dare you....seriously,it'll be fine.I quite fancy a trip to Padstein....or did they not run there ? Cue SR cognoscenti..(did I spell that correctly ?)

Edited by Ian Hargrave

I'll have to find mine... though I'm scared to take it out of the box....

Has anyone run a pair of these little miracles behind a DJM/Kernow O2 yet ?

Shock....horror !

Is shock-horror too much even for grief junkies?  Is counselling available?  Should we just settle for "Your grief is our grief; lets light a candle and hold hands...."   :scared:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Shock....horror !

Well, actually, yes. A few laps of my very dirty 100' circuit last night. The coaches behaved impeccably, but the poor little loco got dirty wheels in no time - and cobwebs in all that air-pump spaghetti! I ended up running a Rock Island F7 with my wet-pad track-cleaner. Suffice to say the loco and coaches looked the biz together.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chicken ! Go on I dare you....seriously,it'll be fine.I quite fancy a trip to Padstein....or did they not run there ? Cue SR cognoscenti..(did I spell that correctly ?)

I have and it did run beautifully, they actually compliment each other - however the O2 doesn't like pushing them uphill...

Shock....horror !

Yes I have.  In fact I intend to keep my Adams tank with a pair of Maunsell corridors and use the rebuilds with my O2. I think they both look better that way.

Roger

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, actually, yes. A few laps of my very dirty 100' circuit last night. The coaches behaved impeccably, but the poor little loco got dirty wheels in no time - and cobwebs in all that air-pump spaghetti! I ended up running a Rock Island F7 with my wet-pad track-cleaner. Suffice to say the loco and coaches looked the biz together.

I rather thought they would. Thanks.

I have found Kadee #18s produce a perfect spacing within set. Buffers in contact on straight track look very convincing, and propelling has shown up no problems so far

Will confirm the #18's are the way to go on the intra-set coupling if you have sufficient radius curves and at least Peco medium points(switches/turnouts). I am using #19's on the outer ends of the 2 set. 

Thats all the news from here in Kadee land.

• RMweb Gold

Think that Hornby still have all four crimson coaches left on their website - Hornby members get 10% off (i.e. £35 per coach) and free postage in UK

Mal

The big H certainly do have them on their website and as said above ;)

And one is being delivered from them tomorrow by my ever reliable DPD delivery driver..

Though I'm rather busy returning Harrier's to production in their home town (Kingston on Thames) at the moment ;)

(in 1:72nd form I should point out - though I did build them in 1:1 scale)

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The big H certainly do have them on their website and as said above ;)

And one is being delivered from them tomorrow by my ever reliable DPD delivery driver..

My two coaches arrived through similar channels this morning.

Apart from two dodgy wheelsets on the composite (easily sorted from the bits box) and one of the CCUs being adrift from its slot (just clipped back in), they are absolutely lovely.  

John

Repainted two of my Ex-LSWR coaches into LSWR coach brown and coach salmon livery. This gives something for my two Adams Radials, two M7s, terrier and T9 all in LSWR lined green livery to pull. While repainting them I had an opportunity to admire the panelling, the rivets, the guard's duckets, the metal bars on the window and the door handles and the ventilators above the windows.

post-17621-0-06774200-1470663743_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quick question for those that know these things, would the loose coaches (ie the 9 compartment Third) be coupled to either end of the set or sit between the two brakes?

Additional coaches would be coupled to either end of the sets, in normal service coaches in sets would not be divided.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Just gave my crimson pair a run round with the alternative (Roco?) couplings supplied fitted in the middle and have been suitably impressed.

I found I could get away with one genuine Roco coupler and one Hornby clone. Two genuine Rocos resulted in buffer locking on my 2nd radius curves.

Quick question for those that know these things, would the loose coaches (ie the 9 compartment Third) be coupled to either end of the set or sit between the two brakes?

As loose stock they'd generally have been 'outside' the set - but a number of the Thirds were ( permanently ) formed within sets : not sure about S.W. section but certainly in S.E. div sets with S.E.C.R. stock.

• Like 1