Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Gold

Had a big box arrive today to from Hornby - containing my two.

Absolutely stunning coaches - though I'm sure someone will find fault with them...  :jester:  :jester:

Where's ABS when you need him? Is he a member of a Southern forum anywhere?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Just received packing notification from Hattons .......... waiting IMpatiently !

Me too and I only got the radials last week. Now where did I see someone complaining Hornby failed to release correct rolling stock for these new locos at the same time? They did really well here I feel.

Just ordered the two rakes from my local model shop, got nothing to haul them with as such, but, I'll worry about that later, basically,these are going to sell well and I do not want to miss out on what are very nice coaches, my bank manager loves Hornby, I'm not so sure if I do though :-)

Were Triang's allegedly Caledonian bogies properly panelled ? - can't say I've ever seen one up close ..... and they probably pre-dated the clerestories anyway !

Yes, they were properly panelled and no, they did not pre-date the clerestories - or at least, the original short clerestories, which also had proper panelling, and formed a useful basis for numerous conversions and hacks. The Caledonians used Triang's standard BR mark 1 underframes, bogies and roofs. They were later used to represent LMS, GWR and Southern Railway coaches too.

The clerestories and the mark 1 mouldings both dated from approximately 1961 onwards, while the Caledonian coaches came out with the release of the Caledonian single 123, so were approximately 1964 or 1965.

Edited by SRman

....... and quite reasonable panelling too ........... apart from the obvious B.R. origins of everything else it's surprising that nobody (?) seems to have used the sides as a basis for anything else : the clerestories ended up as all sorts of things !

That's why mine are in Malachite green. Another project that has been overtaken by new releases.

Does anyone know how to dismantle the coaches so people can repaint them?  I expect some people will want to repaint them in malachite green but I am planning to commit sacrilege by repainting them in LSWR chocolate and salmon pink to go with my LSWR Adams Radial tanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The panelling on the Hornby Caledonians is similar to some LSWR coach diagrams so I think a cut'n'shut conversion is possible using sections of the sides grafted to a shortened and detailed Hornby 'generic' underframe. I researched the concept but haven't acquired the coaches; the composites would be needed and I only have a brake. I'm not going to cut up the coaches in my Caledonian train pack!

• Like 1

Picked mine up from East somerset Models this afternoon. Not had the chance to get them out of there boxes yet, but they do look good. Also collected my Oxford cattle and 6-plank wagons and a box of Legacy track.

I have just received my red and green pairs direct from Hornby. I would advise checking the roof vents as some of mine were loose on two out of the four coaches. Remedied with a dab of glue, but easy to loose them if not dealt with quickly.

Does anyone know where I could get hold of destination boards for Lyme Regis as per the Hornby train pack due for release later this year? I have had a quick search of the net without any joy.