Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Premium

... The model figure is very realistic too.

He's a Modelu driver (www.modelu3d.co.uk), highly recommended.  (No connection, just a very satisfied customer!)

Chris

And here's 30583 backing onto the other vehicle of set 43 ...

attachicon.gifSmall1679 30583 backing onto set 43.jpg

Chris

I hate to sound a negative note - but any carriage cleaner who let a coach go out with obscured windows like that would be in for a 'rocket' next day; (though it did happen - and I've travelled in the neglected vehicle in question)!

Perhaps a touch of Klear to indicate that someone had at least shown the windows a dirty rag?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

I found I could get away with one genuine Roco coupler and one Hornby clone. Two genuine Rocos resulted in buffer locking on my 2nd radius curves.

So far, 2 genuine Roco couplings between the two coaches seem okay on my 30" radius curve. 

For the rake ends I used Kadee number 18s.

EDIT:  Got a little buffer-lock with18s on the rake ends, so will try 19s.  Someone above recommended 18s within the rake, so I try that because coupling the Rocos up can be a bit of a pain if I take the coaches off the track.

Edited by Richard Lee

• RMweb Premium

Gents

Can anyone confirm, what E-4 sets were?. I ve seen these sets mentioned on the Hornby web site but after a quick look through this thread, l have be unable to find any reference to them.  According to Hornby These sets were used on the Exmouth branch in the 1950s and were made up of sets 42 - 46 with two Compartment Lavatory Thirds either in between the brakes or at either end.

Can anyone add further to this please?

Many Thanks

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

How did the Non Corridor Lavatory system work?  Next door compartments could be connected - as is implied earlier in this blog - but if you were further down the coach, presumably you had to get out at a station to bag your seat in the loo?

How did the Non Corridor Lavatory system work?  Next door compartments could be connected - as is implied earlier in this blog - but if you were further down the coach, presumably you had to get out at a station to bag your seat in the loo?

Prexactly .......... but Network Rail aren't going to tolerate anything like that for much longer so it ll be irrelevant and locked out of use !

There is an LSWR coach coupled next to the M7 in the National Railway Museum. When I last visited the museum one of the guides gave me a detailed talk in one of the compartments next to the toilet. As far as I remember it was only the compartments next to the toilet that had access to it. Perhaps the museum may be able to help you.

• RMweb Premium

There is an LSWR coach coupled next to the M7 in the National Railway Museum. When I last visited the museum one of the guides gave me a detailed talk in one of the compartments next to the toilet. As far as I remember it was only the compartments next to the toilet that had access to it. Perhaps the museum may be able to help you.

This was surprisingly common back in the day - the Bluebell have a ex LSWR non corridor brake coach that was originally a 2nd / 3rd composite where the two second class compartments each had access to a separate lavatory - the door to the lavatory effectively taking up one of the seating positions in the compartment. http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1520.html. They also have a ex SECR birdcage Brake with a similar setup - again this was built as a 2nd / 3rd composite http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/birdcage/index.html

Neither coach has had the toilets returned to use during the restoration though.

Some companies did build coaches with a corridor within the coach so as to access a lavatory - the 2BIL EMUs and one of the coaches in the 2HAL having this feature for example. On the LNER Gresley, and later Thompson built suburban composite coaches with two toilets in the middle each linked to the 3rd or the 1st class compartments n- as seen on the Hornby models

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

This was surprisingly common back in the day - the Bluebell have a ex LSWR non corridor brake coach that was originally a 2nd / 3rd composite where the two second class compartments each had access to a separate lavatory - the door to the lavatory effectively taking up one of the seating positions in the compartment. http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1520.html. They also have a ex SECR birdcage Brake with a similar setup - again this was built as a 2nd / 3rd composite http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/birdcage/index.html

Neither coach has had the toilets returned to use during the restoration though.

Some companies did build coaches with a corridor within the coach so as to access a lavatory - the 2BIL EMUs and one of the coaches in the 2HAL having this feature for example. On the LNER Gresley, and later Thompson built suburban composite coaches with two toilets in the middle each linked to the 3rd or the 1st class compartments n- as seen on the Hornby models

What always seems odd, to me, is that First Class passengers didn't seem to get priority for the provision of lavatory facilities : where multiple classes were carried some compartments of each normally had access to a lavvy - so the idea must, indeed, have been that you had to 'just nip next door' at a convenient stop.

On page 87 of David Gould's book there is a plan of the seats of lav. third brakes nos. 2625-29. There were two toilets between the two first class compartments: one facing each window with access from a door in the centre of each compartments. There was only one toilet between the two adjacent third class compartments with the door at the side. The first class toilets were 3' 6" wide whereas the second class toilets were 3'1" wide. As mentioned previously the toilet windows were made of frosted glass and not painted white so perhaps Hornby can rectify this error in future batches. I find it strange that the passengers in the third class end compartments did not have access to a toilet. Perhaps the Southern gave priority to passengers who had booked in advance for the seats with access to toilets.

post-17621-0-32370400-1471015762_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

On page 87 of David Gould's book there is a plan of the seats of lav. third brakes nos. 2625-29. There were two toilets between the two first class compartments: one facing each window with access from a door in the centre of each compartments. There was only one toilet between the two adjacent third class compartments with the door at the side. The first class toilets were 3' 6" wide whereas the second class toilets were 3'1" wide. As mentioned previously the toilet windows were made of frosted glass and not painted white so perhaps Hornby can rectify this error in future batches. I find it strange that the passengers in the third class end compartments did not have access to a toilet. Perhaps the Southern gave priority to passengers who had booked in advance for the seats with access to toilets.

I somehow doubt that seat reservations were much used or needed on the (often very) secondary services this stock was used on. The longest journeys were probably Plymouth - Exeter and Padstow - Okehampton, both with several intermediate stops. Those passengers travelling far enough to anticipate a need to use the facilities would, no doubt, seek out the appropriate compartments when boarding or move en-route.

The real sign of the times when looking at these coaches and comparing them to the modern scene, is the very low provision of non-smoking accommodation.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Today the Adams radial got really depressed after seeing its train bring lead by a BR 3MT. So much so that the 3MT had to uncouple from the train to council the Adams. While that was happening, a cheeky Fairburn tank sneaked in and stole the train!

post-15098-0-87269300-1471026888.jpg

post-15098-0-77528400-1471026911.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Today the Adams radial got really depressed after seeing its train bring lead by a BR 3MT. So much so that the 3MT had to uncouple from the train to council the Adams. While that was happening, a cheeky Fairburn tank sneaked in and stole the train!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

When was it the 75 tonne crane was being released?

• RMweb Gold

My order from Hatton's arrived last weekend but only just now had the chance to give the coaches a run, they do look fantastic.

To do the honours I dusted down my Hornby M7, number 111, bought years ago and stored ever since, in its box (price on it says £64.50!:

post-10919-0-48537200-1471027595_thumb.jpg

Looking good I thought - til I tried running 111...

With the loco staggering along, I surmised something must be wrong - so a look at the chassis revealed the brake rigging was loose and one of the shoes was fouling the coupling rod on one side. I tried freeing it up and in the process snapped the rigging joints :-(

Still it freed up the offending snagging and then, screaching noises from the loco.

More inspection, this time I thought some lubrication would help (doesn't it always?), and so it did.

So finally the whole ensemble trundled around the loft, looking very nice I think - just need to finish the layout now...

all the best,

Keith

Edited by Keith Lilley
  • Like 5

My order from Hatton's arrived last weekend but only just now had the chance to give the coaches a run, they do look fantastic.

To do the honours I dusted down my Hornby M7, number 111, bought years ago and stored ever since, in its box (price on it says £64.50!:

attachicon.gif_20160812_193841.JPG

Looking good I thought - til I tried running 111...

With the loco staggering along, I surmised something must be wrong - so a look at the chassis revealed the brake rigging was loose and one of the shoes was fouling the coupling rod on one side. I tried freeing it up and in the process snapped the rigging joints :-(

Still it freed up the offending snagging and then, screaching noises from the loco.

More inspection, this time I thought some lubrication would help (doesn't it always?), and so it did.

So finally the whole ensemble trundled around the loft, looking very nice I think - just need to finish the layout now...

all the best,

Keith

Good to have something for the olive green M7 to pull.

Best wishes

Robin