KERNOW TODAY

• RMweb Premium

What are the best times to see locos crossing the Tamar bridge.........?

The sleepers are due through at around 06.40 Monday, 05.50 Tuesday - Saturday down and 23.05 Sunday, 23.40 Monday - Friday up.

Freight is very thin on the ground and I'll let the locals advised what might come through and when.  Other than that it's only infrequent charters.

• RMweb Premium

The daytime loco-hauled ECS from Penzance to Par and associated workings are not running today as DRS hire-in 57306 has failed at Long Rock apparently.

The final "Vegex" of the season has a poor record.  In 2014 it ran up to Exeter but returned empty stock owing to electrical problems.  In 2015 it ran.  In 2016 it has not run in either direction.  That's only 50% performance but the stats aren't measured against a single train once a year over time ;)

Looks like it will be a spare unit from Exeter on the down, if they can find one!

Now I wonder who could drive it, they obviously need to be spare today and sign to Penzance, looks at list of spare West drivers (yes we have got some today) and there is one, guess who!  :O

• RMweb Premium

306 now belongs to us and was mistakenly sent down by OC on last nights NR with below spec brake blocks so we had to fail it. Only time this season it hasn't ran.

And so that someone else had to fix it?  ;)

Not quite Kernow Today ......Whilst waiting for the train home on Swindon Station yesterday pm the Paddington - Swansea HST set came in with the new GWR branded power cars topping and tailing a rake of FGW coaches, whats happening there ?

Yours

B.Mused

• Like 1

Looks like it will be a spare unit from Exeter on the down, if they can find one!

Now I wonder who could drive it, they obviously need to be spare today and sign to Penzance, looks at list of spare West drivers (yes we have got some today) and there is one, guess who!  :O

Wayhay the driver who should have worked it got up to Exeter in time so I could carry on watching the film, result!

Not quite Kernow Today ......Whilst waiting for the train home on Swindon Station yesterday pm the Paddington - Swansea HST set came in with the new GWR branded power cars topping and tailing a rake of FGW coaches, whats happening there ?

Yours

B.Mused

They seem to have given up on keeping them together now, there is also one green PC on a blue rake as well.

I did spot the Laira 08 marshalling a green set and a blue set around, 16 coaches on the hook.

• Like 1

Been on hire to us but we cant do to DRS locos what we do to ours...... .

green LA16 had been with 2 blue PCs......

FINALLY,    NEW to fleet, 12142 arrived today, first internally refurbished Night Riviera day coach ("B" coach TSOD but no longer Tourist configeration). Pictures hopefully tomorrow night. MIGHT be ready for wednesday nights up thus making a wholly green set.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interior photos of refurbished 12142 now on my photo stream on Flickr (see signature). Will try to put on here when time allows

Even after all these years the Mk3s still 'cut it'. I think the HST/Mk3 combination was the best value any British railway had at any time. Looks good even if I still don't like the colour! ;)

• Like 1

I can't say I'm a fan of it I'm afraid. I don't doubt that it's a high quality refurbishment, but I strongly dislike the removal and replacement of the former FC 2+1 Layout and replacement with a very full 2+2 Airline arrangement with 1 table. I also dislike the rather strong single LED Light strip down the centre which although may be dimmed down, looks incredibly strong in your pictures. Sadly I think it's been done more to accommodate the NR Doubling up as the first train of the day down to PZ than as a Night Sleeper - Even the Caledonian Sleeper hasn't gone this far!

For continuing to make the Mk3 look modern it's a 9/10 for me, but for jamming in that many seats, that strong strip light and one power socket per non reclining seat, 4/10.

Here is a link to Paul's Flickr. Seats look to be similar to those in the XC & EC HSTs, but thinner.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-tr-p/29033946093/in/photostream/

I can't say I'm a fan of it I'm afraid. I don't doubt that it's a high quality refurbishment, but I strongly dislike the removal and replacement of the former FC 2+1 Layout and replacement with a very full 2+2 Airline arrangement with 1 table. I also dislike the rather strong single LED Light strip down the centre which although may be dimmed down, looks incredibly strong in your pictures. Sadly I think it's been done more to accommodate the NR Doubling up as the first train of the day down to PZ than as a Night Sleeper - Even the Caledonian Sleeper hasn't gone this far!For continuing to make the Mk3 look modern it's a 9/10 for me, but for jamming in that many seats, that strong strip light and one power socket per non reclining seat, 4/10.Here is a link to Paul's Flickr. Seats look to be similar to those in the XC & EC HSTs, but thinner.https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-tr-p/29033946093/in/photostream/

These sentiments will be/are already echoed by many.

• RMweb Premium

That looks to be a fine job - for a high capacity day coach.

There is a balance to be found between maximising capacity (not often an issue in the seated portion of the NR) and comfort.  The existing seats have met that quite well.  There is ample room to stretch and recline to an extent where sleep is possible and some degree of comfort achieved.  The lighting is dimmed and there is ample luggage space.

12142 looks to have been specified by someone more accustomed to designing (and perhaps travelling on) trains for high-occupancy medium distance trips where bums on seats is the greater need than a comfortable night's rest / sleep.  Packed in like sardines in an HST and with no opportunity to stretch or recline at all whilst also in all cases having to accommodate the passenger adjacent is unlikely to be well received by overnight passengers.  There seems to be little if any luggage space for the perfectly reasonable amount of overnight / travel bags / backpacks often brought aboard the NR.  The more passengers in a coach the noisier it will be again detracting from the need to sleep overnight.  The lighting might be adjustable but is set to harsh "brilliant white" which will effectively prevent any sort of sleep and is in start contrast to the existing coaches.

There is no real need to align seats to windows on stock intended for overnight use even if some of the trip some of the time is in daylight and through pretty countryside.  But there is a need to understand why passengers choose to pay fares which do not include sleeper supplements but yet wish, quite reasonably, to sleep overnight.  Turning the "wakers" into high-density HST day coaches will drive people away from this train.  That is the last thing GWR needs.

Who specifies and designs these things?  Make them sit up all night in a well-loaded 12142 for 8 hours .........

• RMweb Gold

That looks to be a fine job - for a high capacity day coach.

There is a balance to be found between maximising capacity (not often an issue in the seated portion of the NR) and comfort.  The existing seats have met that quite well.  There is ample room to stretch and recline to an extent where sleep is possible and some degree of comfort achieved.  The lighting is dimmed and there is ample luggage space.

12142 looks to have been specified by someone more accustomed to designing (and perhaps travelling on) trains for high-occupancy medium distance trips where bums on seats is the greater need than a comfortable night's rest / sleep.  Packed in like sardines in an HST and with no opportunity to stretch or recline at all whilst also in all cases having to accommodate the passenger adjacent is unlikely to be well received by overnight passengers.  There seems to be little if any luggage space for the perfectly reasonable amount of overnight / travel bags / backpacks often brought aboard the NR.  The more passengers in a coach the noisier it will be again detracting from the need to sleep overnight.  The lighting might be adjustable but is set to harsh "brilliant white" which will effectively prevent any sort of sleep and is in start contrast to the existing coaches.

There is no real need to align seats to windows on stock intended for overnight use even if some of the trip some of the time is in daylight and through pretty countryside.  But there is a need to understand why passengers choose to pay fares which do not include sleeper supplements but yet wish, quite reasonably, to sleep overnight.  Turning the "wakers" into high-density HST day coaches will drive people away from this train.  That is the last thing GWR needs.

Who specifies and designs these things?  Make them sit up all night in a well-loaded 12142 for 8 hours .........

Absolutely right, Rick, but the PR luvvies will have their hands all over this in short order, telling the world what a super improvement it is.

They already are..... Some project managers are now no longer with us - but that's a different story which I cant comment on. My own two recommendation reports seem to have been ignored ! Is it a ploy to get people to buy a berth instead ??  Did I mention its got CET !

Edited by Co-tr-Paul