KERNOW TODAY

Following on from the lovely "Super Saturday" of 4th June. 

From Fri 3rd. 66066 runs down from Westbury LE

post-2613-0-38266100-1465121903_thumb.jpeg

Here's 66066 making a rare clay working due to the failure of 66023 earlier in the week.

post-2613-0-30610100-1465121932_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-02126500-1465121947_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-14674300-1465121961_thumb.jpeg

1Z31 Northern Belle empty stock moves

post-2613-0-98014400-1465121973_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-20781000-1465121988_thumb.jpeg

5P70 at Hayle & Brea. Able to overtake the train as there is a recess at Camborne.

post-2613-0-11783900-1465122005_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-96356900-1465122015_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

57 604 "Restormel Castle" with the Long Rock to Par ecs at Carn Brea 11th June

IMG_4805-L.jpg

Class 43 HST Power Car number 43 169 named "The National Trust" with 43 053 named "University of Worcester" at the rear pass Carn Brea with 1C72 0644 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance.
11th June 2016

IMG_4809-L.jpg

IMG_4816-L.jpg

Class 43 HST Power Car number 43 027 with 43 162 at the rear arrive at Camborne with 1A85 1100 Penzance to London Paddington.  43 027 was adorned at Plymouth Laira with '90 Glorious Years' branding to mark the Queens 90th birthday which is being celebrated this weekend.
11th June 2016

IMG_4818-L.jpg

IMG_4822-L.jpg

IMG_4823-L.jpg

IMG_4824-L.jpg

IMG_4826-L.jpg

Credit to GWR for livening up the HST scene!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Not quite today as I have had to wait until I could load the images from the camera to the computer but taken in the past couple of weeks .....

HST astride Angarrack Viaduct.  How long until this shot is blocked by the trees?  Or will the new houses be built first meaning the trees are lost?

i-9CBtQgL-L.jpg

Following block to block was the first 68 to reach the Royal Duchy as 68017 rolled through approaching 45 minutes early and having been checked at Camborne behind the HST.

i-NmGvHB6-L.jpg

"Hornet" at Hayle: 68017 makes the return trip up the line on its first visit

i-DVkJG6P-L.jpg

Up HST crosses the causeway seen from beneath the A30 flyover at Hayle bird hide

i-CzVKQgg-L.jpg

Looking the other way from the bird hide the St. Ives Bay Belle, formed of a 153+150 combination, rolls past Lelant as a gull drifts past and something black and white rests its wings on the plants.

i-zd3xNnV-L.jpg

68016 became the second of its class to enter the Duchy leading the Belmond British Pullman through Carn Brea

i-52BchMh-L.jpg

And 68017 became the first 68 to appear twice in Cornwall tailing the same train 

i-Vv8Z2Jr-L.jpg

4-coach vegex e.c.s. at Nanpusker behind 57605

i-QmmJsdF-L.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

Some info gathered today from Mr Fleet Engineering Manager himself...... . First internally refurbished sleeper day coach was due out this week but will now be out in 4 weeks time.

First sleeper coach due late august, £20,000 PER BERTH spent !!

It also now looks likely that in july, the DfT will sign off the plan for 2+4 HST sets to be used instead of the 158s now late cascaded from IEP for the 2018 twice an hour timetable upgrade from Penzance to Plymouth with AT300s continuing to London as planned. The sets will have sliding doors (built as an end module and then fitted)  and CET and will be used for at least the length of current franchise. They should be green ! Everything else as planned.

Usual Maisy Day Pathfinder DB 66 tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

2+4 HSTs! Hope the head restraints are good otherwise there will be whiplash claims from the acceleration! :O

Also a nice though that we shall still be able to ride through Cornwall on a train without listening to engines thrashing away under the floor...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Plus nice that the hst will be kept going in the West Country. Gonna look unusual with such a short rake HST. Gonna be nice to ride through Cornwall though much nicer than current dmu's

• RMweb Premium

2+4 is also a better rake length for modelling  :yes:  I assume they will not have a catering vehicle if they're just for 'internal' Cornwall runs.

I'm sure we could arrange some sort of pasty service.  With cuppas or pints according to circumstances.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Or Moomaid of Zennor ice cream.  Every bit as good.

Never had that one, although on our last visit to Cornwall in 2011 we found a nice cafe in the Fowey valley near Bodmin Road that sold some very good home-made ice cream.

2+4 is also a better rake length for modelling  :yes:  I assume they will not have a catering vehicle if they're just for 'internal' Cornwall runs.

They are not 'internal' Cornwall sets, unless Cardiff has been moved!  :angel:

Oh and they will have catering on board, what sort I dont know but would hazard a guess that the 2+4 could consist of-

TGS, TSO, TSMB, TC.

So providing 3 1/4 standard class, 1/2 First, and a mini buffet area.

Of course I could be completely wrong and its all standard class with a trolley, so no mini buffet or First class, or some other combination.

I thought 2+4 HST's didn't have sufficient braking capability, or doesn't that matter in Cornwall with the low speeds?

Ed

They are heavy for the available brake force but as long as the driver allows for it they should be fine, if not then get the paperwork out!  :O

• RMweb Gold

They are not 'internal' Cornwall sets, unless Cardiff has been moved!  :angel:

Oh and they will have catering on board, what sort I dont know but would hazard a guess that the 2+4 could consist of-

TGS, TSO, TSMB, TC.

So providing 3 1/4 standard class, 1/2 First, and a mini buffet area.

Of course I could be completely wrong and its all standard class with a trolley, so no mini buffet or First class, or some other combination.

I thought from earlier these were for Plymouth to Penzance services - are you saying they'll be running through to Cardiff then?

I thought from earlier these were for Plymouth to Penzance services - are you saying they'll be running through to Cardiff then?

It depends who you ask and what day you ask them, there are currently through Cardiff to Penzance services and I cant see any reason for them not to continue, these sets will also be used on the current Cardiff to Taunton services where they will be able to make use of their speed as well as their acceleration, in Cornwall its basically a 62.5mph railway (split between 60 and 65) with a couple of bits of 70 and one bit of 75 so no faster than the current DMUs but the HSTs will accelerate quite a bit quicker.

Time will tell, plus it depends how many they actually keep/modify, currently its 11 sets whereas previously it has been 21 sets, then 25, then 18 and now 11, so everything is still up in the air because nothing has been signed off yet, mid July will be signature time, then we will know.

It now looks like it will be 11 2+4 sets, the coaches will have pre-assembled door modules cut into the sides meaning the conversions are relatively cheap, only one power car will be working, the second power car wont be powering, this is to reduce the engine hours on power cars and it be available in case the powering power car runs into problems because any sort of failure messes up the timetable and with the extra trains being run they want the redundancy 'just in case'.

If these were going to be kept for a while then converting the TGS to have a cab on the end was an option but the second power car is available now for next to no money compared to the TGS conversion.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1