KERNOW TODAY

They already are..... Some project managers are now no longer with us - but that's a different story which I cant comment on. My own two recommendation reports seem to have been ignored ! Is it a ploy to get people to buy a berth instead ??  Did I mention its got CET !

I don't know, we'll have to see about that when the first one returns. From the computer generated images and this TSD I'm not holding out much hope - I find GWR's new found love of the colour Brown a little dull, with brown in the carpets, the sink module and on the ceiling - with an already dated looking gold coloured metal fitting. Maybe I'm reading a little too into it, but i'll reserve my full judgement for the first berth to come back.

Plan is "new" TSOD - well, now AC2400A - 12142 should go in set for friday nights up Riviera replacing TSOD 12161 which should go for both repaint and interior refurb. First time as a correct set in full green. Next week, SLEP 10584 will replace final SLEP in blue 10589 which wil also go green and internal refurb.

Champion down Saturday..... .

• RMweb Gold

On holiday in Cornwall and walked aross the Treffiy viaduct today. What are the rails for that seem to form a narrow gauge line in the centre of the Par - Newquay line? They are fastened with panderol style clips every second sleeper.

On holiday in Cornwall and walked aross the Treffiy viaduct today. What are the rails for that seem to form a narrow gauge line in the centre of the Par - Newquay line? They are fastened with panderol style clips every second sleeper.

Check rails, to prevent a derailment from getting worse.  Most bridges seem to have them.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Check rails, to prevent a derailment from getting worse.  Most bridges seem to have them.

Brian.

Treffry Viaduct is actually an aqueduct carrying a leat (man-made stream) over the Luxulyan Valley which was once used to power machinery in the area.  The Newquay branch passes beneath at ground level and is fitted with these check rails.  I suspect here it is to ensure the rails do not spread as some very heavy loads of china clay have come down this line over the years.  It is on a curve meaning the forces acting on the track would be considerable; in addition to the curvature there is a severe gradient against down (empty china clay) trains. Just around the curve beyond the viaduct the line runs through some close-walled rock cuttings so again there may be a need to build in additional restraint to prevent movement in the formation.  While Treffry Viaduct also once carried a mineral tramway there is no rail left over the top though it is possible to discern where rails were once fixed to the granite slabs capping the leat.

Thinking this thing through again and before the real railway arrived, did slow moving waggons really need check rails at what must have been a very slow pace?   Possibly they might provide a hazard for the horses?  A quick check of B/Barton's Mineral Railways seems to make it depending on the company!

Brian.

An HST derailed a bit further down the hill on the Newquay line a few years ago. The curves are pretty sharp, so I'm guessing the check rails are to mitigate the effects of another derailment.

Ed

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Premium

Is 6201 Princess Elizabeth in Penzance/Long Rock at the moment? Only just heard about the tour which supposedly was redirected to PZ and is due to leave on Tuesday?

Not sure where 6201 is at the moment (SBZ?) but this should help for Tuesday.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54634/2016/09/20/advanced

Take no notice of the 'diesel' bit, that's just how they work the times out.

She is down there somewhere, today (Sunday) the 2 locos and support coach had a trip around the Laira triangle to turn them ready for Tuesdays trip, it left about 90 minutes early on the return, much to the annoyance of lots of people lineside.

Edited by royaloak

She is down there somewhere, today (Sunday) the 2 locos and support coach had a trip around the Laira triangle to turn them ready for Tuesdays trip, it left about 90 minutes early on the return, much to the annoyance of lots of people lineside.

Seems like an awful long way to go to turn the PE, time you figure the pathing, fuel, etc., must run expensive!   What's up with the SBZ turntable?  I thought it was fixed!

Brian.

Currently sat next to platform four getting ready for the trip out tomorrow morning, a beautiful sight. I'll post here some of the better photos I took on my phone, I've yet to get the ones off the proper camera and they'll be too large to post tonight.

post-18430-0-33046300-1474319160_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-96348300-1474319247_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-61471300-1474319119_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-30052500-1474319132_thumb.jpeg

post-18430-0-60966300-1474319106_thumb.jpeg

It really was a lovely sight, Braunton is great but it's nice to see something other than that come down here for a change

• Like 10

A couple of pictures I took at Bodmin Parkway today.

[/url]6201 Princess Elizabeth passing Bodmin Parkway today. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://29817634235_3510ce97cb_b.jpg6201 Princess Elizabeth passing Bodmin Parkway today. by mailrail, on Flickr

[/url] 6201 Princess Elizabeth, Bodmin Parkway. >6201 Princess Elizabeth, Bodmin Parkway. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://29734805231_141bfe149d_b.jpg6201 Princess Elizabeth, Bodmin Parkway. by mailrail, on Flickr

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 9

Seems like an awful long way to go to turn the PE, time you figure the pathing, fuel, etc., must run expensive!   What's up with the SBZ turntable?  I thought it was fixed!

Brian.

Isnt Lizzie a bit long for the SBZ turntable? (already answered by Gwiwer, thanks)

The support coach needed to be turned as well.

How much further is the LA triangle than St Blazey from Penzance, is it worth all the aggro to split things for turning rather than just running a bit further and turning the lot in one go?

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Isnt Lizzie a bit long for the SBZ turntable? (already answered by Gwiwer, thanks)

The support coach needed to be turned as well.

How much further is the LA triangle than St Blazey from Penzance, is it worth all the aggro to split things for turning rather than just running a bit further and turning the lot in one go?

St. Blazey table can of course turn a Mk1/2 support coach but that makes no sense when the loco must go elsewhere.  It would also cost more in today's regime.  Penzance - St. Blazey is around 46 miles.  Penzance - Laira Depot is around 85.  So an additional 38 miles or thereabouts of drag and track access charges which includes having to be pathed over two sections of single track (Largin and the Tamar Bridge).  That's not a huge issue with the service as it is but come 2018 when we hope to have a 30-minute headway on the main line things will be different.  

We are lucky to have steam as far west as Penzance on even an infrequent basis. Let's enjoy it while we can as there may not be convenient paths for too much longer.

That's not a huge issue with the service as it is but come 2018 when we hope to have a 30-minute headway on the main line things will be different.  

Cornwall is not getting a 30 minute headway service, it is getting 2 trains an hour, one fast and one stopper, they most definitely wont be 30 minutes apart except maybe at a coupe of stations where the timetable just happens to work out that way.

• RMweb Premium

Cornwall is not getting a 30 minute headway service, it is getting 2 trains an hour, one fast and one stopper, they most definitely wont be 30 minutes apart except maybe at a coupe of stations where the timetable just happens to work out that way.

That is what I understand to be the case though it is being quite widely referred to as the "30-minute service".  I do understand the difference.  The point remains valid however in that this will reduce the available pathways for non-timetable traffic through the single-line sections.  

• Like 1

A few from the Duchy this week.

Our Indian Summer continues with colder nights now and glorious sunshine. The days have been rather warm too.

A visit down to St Winnow yesterday as the sun was so bright and sharp. As I drove through Lostwithiel, the dreaded river mist was hanging heavy along the River Fowey. I judged that the majority of it should clear by the time the clay train left Lostwithiel at around 08.40. 

I was very fortunate to get an image of full sun with the last stubborn remnants of mist still rising in the valley.

Early stages:

post-2613-0-87129600-1474647382_thumb.jpeg

Just as the train passed by

post-2613-0-69269100-1474647362_thumb.jpeg

Today (23rd). A very welcome visitor made it to Burngullow - Colas Rail class 56 number 56078. The Grid was down to collect the Railvac and trip it up to Exeter Riverside. The day was not over however, as it was to star in the B&W Diesel Gala on the 24th. The loco is seen in bright light calling at Par & Bolitho near Liskeard with the Rail Vac.

post-2613-0-00321100-1474647526_thumb.jpeg

post-2613-0-74265700-1474647537_thumb.jpeg

Edited by winterbournecm
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Currently sat next to platform four getting ready for the trip out tomorrow morning, a beautiful sight. I'll post here some of the better photos I took on my phone, I've yet to get the ones off the proper camera and they'll be too large to post tonight.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It really was a lovely sight, Braunton is great but it's nice to see something other than that come down here for a change

Lizzie got a new nameplate ?