KERNOW TODAY

This was on another forum and is something for any night owls or insomniacs out there tonight:-

5X30 2110 Stoke Gifford to Plymouth

Show service information Hide service information http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O32380/2016/10/03/advanced

Schedule Information

• STP schedule UID O32380, identity 5X30

• Runs on 03/10/2016 only

• Service code 55460080

• Empty Coaching Stock

Operational Information

• Schedule from VSTP

• Timed for 280mph max

• High Speed Train (HST125)

The timings will not post properly so click on the link, the point of origin will give a clue to what it is, suffice to say it is NOT an HST!

Returning to base as:-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O32409/2016/10/04/advanced

Edited by RichardTrevithick

• RMweb Premium

I saw this as I was driving along Priory Road in Bodmin this afternoon, so had to stop for a few photo's. Moveright International were the hauliers.

Heard that was causing fun and games as they tried to get it into the yard area. 

• RMweb Gold

This was on another forum and is something for any night owls or insomniacs out there tonight:-

Show service information Hide service information http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O32380/2016/10/03/advanced

Schedule Information

• STP schedule UID O32380, identity 5X30

• Runs on 03/10/2016 only

• Service code 55460080

• Empty Coaching Stock

Operational Information

• Schedule from VSTP

• Timed for 280mph max

• High Speed Train (HST125)

The timings will not post properly so click on the link, the point of origin will give a clue to what it is, suffice to say it is NOT an HST!

This move is long, long overdue. When I was working, it was supposed to have been done in January this year!

Hope it all went well, either way.

Excellent - I hope you didn't encounter that halfwit on the barrier at Truro who got rather nasty with me 10 days back - absolute idiot he was and very rude with it.  Many happy returns for tomorrow.  And has the food fair finished?

Mike, if you wish to report the barsteward, please let me know and I'll see if I can dig out the relevant contact for you.

And here it is on arrival at Plymouth (which is nearly in Kernow)-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46912176@N06/29806323310/in/dateposted-public/

And before departure from Plymouth-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46912176@N06/30066618546/in/dateposted-public/

Shameless plug of my own pictures! 

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I like the comments (yours) under the pics.  I'd love to know how it got on climbing Hemerdon (where it appears to have dropped 5 minutes in running, oops), let alone knowing what happened (or didn't happen) on Dainton (where it appears to have not dropped any time).  

The best will no doubt come when it is stopped on the nice curve on the steepest part of Dainton and is then asked to restart - that's what found out the HSTs and they've got a bit more poke than one of these things.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Standing start fully loaded on the down with a greasy rail at Stoneyhill Quarry ......... 

Let's see if these things have what it takes.  I reserve judgement on how well they might be received for local journeys in the Royal Duchy.  I can't help but think they will look rather out of place with that high-speed nose-cone pulling up at Hayle and St. Germans ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The best will no doubt come when it is stopped on the nice curve on the steepest part of Dainton and is then asked to restart - that's what found out the HSTs and they've got a bit more poke than one of these things.

Standing start fully loaded on the down with a greasy rail at Stoneyhill Quarry ......... 

Let's see if these things have what it takes.

Well, one of the things we were going to do when I thought the test run was going to be made back in January, was to stop the thing on some of the steeper Devon banks, and re-start under reduced power scenarios. I spoke to a contact in GWR earlier this morning, but he didn't know whether that was what was done last night.

Well, one of the things we were going to do when I thought the test run was going to be made back in January, was to stop the thing on some of the steeper Devon banks, and re-start under reduced power scenarios. I spoke to a contact in GWR earlier this morning, but he didn't know whether that was what was done last night.

I dont think anything unusual was done last night, maybe do things like standing starts in reduced power mode in about a months time, then we will know how good it id!

• RMweb Premium

Let's see if these things have what it takes.  I reserve judgement on how well they might be received for local journeys in the Royal Duchy.  I can't help but think they will look rather out of place with that high-speed nose-cone pulling up at Hayle and St. Germans ;)

And also pottering along on what is predominantly a 60 mph railway! :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Premium

Love your caption , made me chuckle and how very apt!

• RMweb Gold

I dont think anything unusual was done last night, maybe do things like standing starts in reduced power mode in about a months time, then we will know how good it id!

I think we might find out even if its asked to do standing starts in full power mode although I do wonder if it might be a bit unfair to do that with the allegedly de-rated 'non West of England' sets.

Sat at home eairler this evening playing with my new airbrush with the window open and I heard the Falmouth unit blow is horn as usual then an very loud bang/thud come from the railway (garden backs onto the branch) Yet again some oiks have been playing silly ****ers and playing with the ballast by the trescobeas foot crossing....

20161004_200216_zpst0wirq2x.jpg

20161004_200208_zpszk4nrxf7.jpg

(Photos taken from outside the rails from the foot crossing whilst I knew the unit was safely stopped in truro)

If only the kids knew that those stones they're putting on the tracks are probably covered in human excrement.....

Class 800 not passed west of Plymouth at the moment, I don't know of any plans for a test run into the Duchy.

• RMweb Premium

I saw this as I was driving along Priory Road in Bodmin this afternoon, so had to stop for a few photo's. Moveright International were the hauliers.

Was it returning from its ill fated birthday tour,

or going elsewhere to have the effects of

its ill fated tour rectified,

I think we might find out even if its asked to do standing starts in full power mode although I do wonder if it might be a bit unfair to do that with the allegedly de-rated 'non West of England' sets.

I cant see what difference it would make, once you reach the limit of adhesion any extra power is wasted, the distributed power should mean that any power mode would be fine simply because of the amount of powered wheels in contact with the rail.

Edited by royaloak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just back from a great week away in Fowey. I usually try and have one day out either riding or viewing the trains - this was Thursday just gone (27th) so not quite 'Kernow Today' but pretty close. Nothing unusual seen but a pleasant day out - here are a few snaps of the (hopefully) most interesting bits.

post-22948-0-77947300-1477777973_thumb.jpg

First visit was to Par station - just in time to see power car 43086 leading the 08.44 Penzance to Paddington past the beautifully painted signal box.

post-22948-0-53386800-1477778189_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough to be offered the chance of a quick pic. of the very tidy and clean looking interior of the box.

post-22948-0-77327100-1477778198_thumb.jpg

Then down to Long Rock - bit of a waste of time really as the only stock visible was 08 410 (minus part of it's number on this side but looking very smart for a 58 year old loco in GWR green livery) and a couple of coaches.

post-22948-0-41895400-1477778203_thumb.jpg

View from the other side showing the full number - a GWR style cast cabside number would really finish off the retro look.

post-22948-0-69665000-1477778208_thumb.jpg

Then back to Par for the afternoon - mostly standard livery HSTs and Sprinters but power car 43146 was a bit different in it's 'BUILDING A GREATER WEST' livery on the rear of the 10.06 Paddington to Penzance.

post-22948-0-91086900-1477778213_thumb.jpg

Next up 66 023 is the resident loco for the clays, seen entering Par with 13.50 Fowey Docks Carne Point to Goonbarrow Junction empties.

post-22948-0-83697100-1477778218_thumb.jpg

15 minutes later 66 142 appeared round the curve from St Blazey heading the 15.06 to Exeter Riverside NACCO JIA China clay wagons .

post-22948-0-41189500-1477778225_thumb.jpg

post-22948-0-09237500-1477778235_thumb.jpg

Up to the bridge at Treesmill just east of Par - a nice spot with good views both ways. One of the GWR Green liveried power cars leads the 12.05 Paddington to Penzance down the bank from Treverrin Tunnel towards Par.

post-22948-0-11909700-1477778245_thumb.jpg

Finally 66 023 was back growlling up the bank with the next load of clay - the scheduled 16.29 (but running 50 minutes early) from Goonbarrow to Fowey Docks.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikeyh
  • Like 13