Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

But that shouldn't be an excuse for sitting in the middle or outside lane when the inside lane is clear.

Hmm, on the rare occasions that I manage to reach 70mph in the inside lane (where I usually am), that must mean everyone else going past is speeding!

• RMweb Premium

I think I triggered a road rage incident today. Driving at 20 mph in a 20 mph zone I noticed a car suddenly appear right behind me, start looking to over take before doing a silly overtaking manoeuvre and offering an interesting hand gesture before speeding off into the distance at a stupidly high speed for a residential zone and in the vicinity of a school. And to put it into the "you couldn't make it up" category the car had to be an Audi.

• Like 2

I think I triggered a road rage incident today. Driving at 20 mph in a 20 mph zone I noticed a car suddenly appear right behind me, start looking to over take before doing a silly overtaking manoeuvre and offering an interesting hand gesture before speeding off into the distance at a stupidly high speed for a residential zone and in the vicinity of a school. And to put it into the "you couldn't make it up" category the car had to be an Audi.

And as usual, not a 'black rat' to be seen anywhere when it happens.

• RMweb Premium

Melbourne's version. Lots to see!

https://www.facebook.com/MelbournesCrapParkers/

Edit to add.

One comment says

"I've seen a yellow sticker slapped on the back of a car that says 'I park like an idiot'. Might have to make some to keep on hand."

Perhaps WH Smith or local newsagents should sell them - they'd sell like hotcakes.

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 3

Gotta love mobile phones. Saw an Astra scrape a Range Rover and just drive off. Within a couple of minutes the owner had three pictures of the offending Astra sent to her.

Melbourne's version. Lots to see!

https://www.facebook.com/MelbournesCrapParkers/

Edit to add.

One comment says

"I've seen a yellow sticker slapped on the back of a car that says 'I park like an idiot'. Might have to make some to keep on hand."

Perhaps WH Smith or local newsagents should sell them - they'd sell like hotcakes.

There's a naughtily-named*, but extremely funny, website that's full of these things. I won't link here, because of the rude name, but Google "you park like a" and the search engine will take you there. Some truly woeful parking to be seen.

*On a totally unrelated subject, I was just thinking about the ancient king who tried to command the tide. There's a service station on the M6, near to the town that bears his name.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a naughtily-named*, but extremely funny, website that's full of these things. I won't link here, because of the rude name, but Google "you park like a" and the search engine will take you there. Some truly woeful parking to be seen.

Search YPLAC

Cheers,

Mick

*On a totally unrelated subject, I was just thinking about the ancient king who tried to command the tide. There's a service station on the M6, near to the town that bears his name.

I take great care with parking, owing to having suffered too many car park scrapes, dings and dents over the years. I don't park next to a disabled vehicle, a car with child seats or "baby/princess/spoiled brat" on board stickers, two/three  door cars, etc. I usually look for a space in a car park at the end of a row (only one side exposed to danger). I park at the remotest end of the car park, leaving the car on it's own if possible.Yet some pillock (or the female equivalent) will still park next to it and invariably too close.

It's a society issue. People only recognise their own importance and have little consideration for others. Perhaps putting a suitable reminder of their anti social behavior on their car might help.

• RMweb Premium

As an ex maintenance man for a supermarket, my company van was hit 4 or 5 times a year normally just door crunches. At the big supermarket I looked after, at least once a month some old dear /codger would hit the wrong pedal and take several cars out properly.

When it came to Christmas there would be cars everywhere , including inside covered trolley parks, on the verge bushes, in front of the entrance to the warehouse, and accross the backs of several parked cars so they can't move. The trolley parks were regularly a target for being hit on their sides, requireing me ro replace the clear plastic, if not some of the metal work.

One of the smaller supermarkets I looked after, had plastic bollards these were regularly taken out ( and I see there are half a dozen missing now) the staff are supposed to get the culprits insurance details, but they never did. it cost £ 600 to replace each one!!!

YPLAC - on Monday in the local Asda all the electric charging bays were taken by 2 Minis, a Range Rover and a Freelander - the thing is 3/4 (if not more) of the car park was empty. This happens regularly, would not be amused if I had an electric car.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

YPLAC - on Monday in the local Asda all the electric charging bays were taken by 2 Minis, a Range Rover and a Freelander - the thing is 3/4 (if not more) of the car park was empty. This happens regularly, would not be amused if I had an electric car.

Cheers

Simon

It's for safety. We had a couple of electric cars at work and charging points a few years ago. Got rid of them as the type of vehicle concerned had a habit of spontaneously combusting. Far safer to have vehicles full of flammable liquids :)

Hello.

It has taken a while, but I am another that found this thread recently - probably a couple of months ago - and have been steadily reading my way through each post, with diversions to news articles and video clips etc.

First of all, the important stuff, COCKWOMBLE. Brilliant word!

When I read it, way back when, my first thought was the bell in Call My Bluff followed by "and the next word is COCKWOMBLE. Frank (Muir), please tell us what, or perhaps who, a COCKWOMBLE might be".

Am I a good driver? I believe that that is one of those questions for others to answer.

Even the insurance companies seem divided: for some 27 years without a claim seems to represent a low risk, for others the same statement seems to meet the "you're overdue" theory and a rather higher quote ensues.

All I can say is that in 18 years of driving in the UK and 9 years of driving in Australia I have always reached my destination in one piece, with all of my vehicle and none of anybody else's. There have been a number of near misses, some of which would have been down to me, but {touch wood} no contact yet.

When I was learning I can remember my father telling me about preserving momentum where possible (ideally brakes should only be used in two situations: either to bring the vehicle to a complete stop e.g. a red light, or in an emergency) and anticipating the actions of other road users and pedestrians etc. My mothers' advice was rather more succinct: Remember, driving is a non-contact sport!

I may pitch in from time to time, although I don't always read the forum on a daily basis.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I take great care with parking, owing to having suffered too many car park scrapes, dings and dents over the years. I don't park next to a disabled vehicle, a car with child seats or "baby/princess/spoiled brat" on board stickers, two/three  door cars, etc. I usually look for a space in a car park at the end of a row (only one side exposed to danger). I park at the remotest end of the car park, leaving the car on it's own if possible.Yet some pillock (or the female equivalent) will still park next to it and invariably too close.

It's a society issue. People only recognise their own importance and have little consideration for others. Perhaps putting a suitable reminder of their anti social behavior on their car might help.

I once had when child one was still a baby.

Park in empty car park, came back to car parked really close to me, rest of CP still empty.

I do not know if they noticed the door prang I left them trying to put baby back in seat. And that child has just got their provisional licence.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello.

It has taken a while, but I am another that found this thread recently - probably a couple of months ago - and have been steadily reading my way through each post, with diversions to news articles and video clips etc.

First of all, the important stuff, COCKWOMBLE. Brilliant word!

When I read it, way back when, my first thought was the bell in Call My Bluff followed by "and the next word is COCKWOMBLE. Frank (Muir), please tell us what, or perhaps who, a COCKWOMBLE might be".

Am I a good driver? I believe that that is one of those questions for others to answer.

Even the insurance companies seem divided: for some 27 years without a claim seems to represent a low risk, for others the same statement seems to meet the "you're overdue" theory and a rather higher quote ensues.

All I can say is that in 18 years of driving in the UK and 9 years of driving in Australia I have always reached my destination in one piece, with all of my vehicle and none of anybody else's. There have been a number of near misses, some of which would have been down to me, but {touch wood} no contact yet.

When I was learning I can remember my father telling me about preserving momentum where possible (ideally brakes should only be used in two situations: either to bring the vehicle to a complete stop e.g. a red light, or in an emergency) and anticipating the actions of other road users and pedestrians etc. My mothers' advice was rather more succinct: Remember, driving is a non-contact sport!

I may pitch in from time to time, although I don't always read the forum on a daily basis.

There are very few really good drivers and not many really bad drivers, we are all good at some things and bad at others.

I know I am good at lane discipline, light use, and signalling, but I know I am not good enough to take a car to its limits without pranging it, and I am impatient.

Knowing your own limits is a good idea, so I make a point of avoiding annoying places.

• RMweb Premium

More to above, I have known people with good car control, but no sense of when to signal, they are never in the correct lane, and do not often signal.

As to taking to limit, scared of crashing!

• Like 1

Park in empty car park, came back to car parked really close to me, rest of CP still empty.

I do not know if they noticed the door prang I left them trying to put baby back in seat. And that child has just got their provisional licence.

Ah, the magnetic car effect.

And what you did proves exactly why I try not to park anywhere near a car that has any indication that children may be in some way involved with it. Does becoming a parent cause a major deterioration of people's social responsibility?

....Does becoming a parent cause a major deterioration of people's social responsibility?

It's optional.

He could have put the kid in from the other side of the car, though. There was nothing else parked on that side.

Edited by Horsetan

I have a bus pass, and so now drive as little as possible.

However the antics of some road users, when in the vicinity of a bus, has to be seen to be believed.

Drivers who will not give way to a bus, under any circumstances. Drivers who believe that being behind a bus is equivalent to some form of torture, and will do anything to get in front; even if it means forcing oncoming vehicles onto the pavement.

Cyclists who believe that riding up the nearside of any vehicle is compulsory when the vehicle has slowed down because it is a bus and is stopping at the bus stop 10 metres ahead.

Women drivers who seem incapable of reversing their small cars, so gesticulate for the bus to reverse when traffic is down to one lane due to road works.

I could go on, but some may think I am just making this up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh-oh.

Another possible verge dweller......................?

• RMweb Gold

Obviously as a law abiding citizen you left your name and address and the fact you were responsible for damaging their property. 

I find it odd you only have doors on one side of the car.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the magnetic car effect.

And what you did proves exactly why I try not to park anywhere near a car that has any indication that children may be in some way involved with it. Does becoming a parent cause a major deterioration of people's social responsibility?

No but selfish parking does

It's optional.

He could have put the kid in from the other side of the car, though. There was nothing else parked on that side.

Seat was that side. Much easier and why should I give a damn about a rubbish parker?

• RMweb Premium

Obviously as a law abiding citizen you left your name and address and the fact you were responsible for damaging their property. 

I find it odd you only have doors on one side of the car.

Nope why should I have had?

They made access very difficult in an otherwise empty car park.