The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Nope why should I have had?

They made access very difficult in an otherwise empty car park.

Mmmmm, what was difficult about going round the other side of your car?

Condemned by your own words? 

...Park in empty car park, came back to car parked really close to me, rest of CP still empty....

.... and I am impatient.

I have a bus pass, and so now drive as little as possible.

However the antics of some road users, when in the vicinity of a bus, has to be seen to be believed.

Drivers who will not give way to a bus, under any circumstances. Drivers who believe that being behind a bus is equivalent to some form of torture, and will do anything to get in front; even if it means forcing oncoming vehicles onto the pavement.

Cyclists who believe that riding up the nearside of any vehicle is compulsory when the vehicle has slowed down because it is a bus and is stopping at the bus stop 10 metres ahead.

Women drivers who seem incapable of reversing their small cars, so gesticulate for the bus to reverse when traffic is down to one lane due to road works.

I could go on, but some may think I am just making this up.

You are being very restrained, people who refuse to go through a gap that a bus fits through with ease, those who confronted by a bus still enter a chicane and wont back up 10 feet. Had a debate with a bus driver one evening over which brand of cornflakes was doing an offer on driving licenses!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi

It doesn't excuse the damage to the car but have you ever tried putting a child in the car from the opposite side to their seat. Its not easy especially if they decide they don't want to get in.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

....It doesn't excuse the damage to the car but have you ever tried putting a child in the car from the opposite side to their seat. Its not easy especially if they decide they don't want to get in.

Alright, so for those who insist on putting their kids in from the road side (as opposed to the pavement side), is it worth endangering a child's life (and yours) simply for a bit of convenience?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Canute?

Interestingly I recently found out that Canute wasn't in fact trying to show that a King could command the sea.

In fact he was trying to show the opposie, that a King was like any other human being and didn't have divine powers.

Like a lot of things it has become corrupted over the space of time.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Alright, so for those who insist on putting their kids in from the road side (as opposed to the pavement side), is it worth endangering a child's life (and yours) simply for a bit of convenience?

Hi

Neither the person who posted or me suggested the child seat was on the road side of the vehicle.

Also what do you do when you have two children who both need car seats you have no choice then but to have one roadside and you certainly can't put a child in from the opposite side when the other seat is in the way.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium

No.

• RMweb Premium

When our two were small I found the 3 door Audi A1 better than our family barge. Maybe counter intuitive but I found putting them in from a forward position easier than leaning over from the side door.

Interestingly I recently found out that Canute wasn't in fact trying to show that a King could command the sea.

In fact he was trying to show the opposie, that a King was like any other human being and didn't have divine powers.

Like a lot of things it has become corrupted over the space of time.

I feel compelled to clarify. I'm aware of the above - I only brought up this particular monarch at all because the alternative spelling of his name should give you a broad hint as to the last word in the rude website I mentioned!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Neither the person who posted or me suggested the child seat was on the road side of the vehicle.

Also what do you do when you have two children who both need car seats you have no choice then but to have one roadside and you certainly can't put a child in from the opposite side when the other seat is in the way.

Cheers

Paul

You do not park along side a road, you park in a car park, drive,  or layby.

I had 3 in child seats 17 years ago.

• Like 1

I have a bus pass, and so now drive as little as possible.

However the antics of some road users, when in the vicinity of a bus, has to be seen to be believed.

Drivers who will not give way to a bus, under any circumstances. Drivers who believe that being behind a bus is equivalent to some form of torture, and will do anything to get in front; even if it means forcing oncoming vehicles onto the pavement.

Cyclists who believe that riding up the nearside of any vehicle is compulsory when the vehicle has slowed down because it is a bus and is stopping at the bus stop 10 metres ahead.

Women drivers who seem incapable of reversing their small cars, so gesticulate for the bus to reverse when traffic is down to one lane due to road works.

I could go on, but some may think I am just making this up.

I had to laugh at the poetic justice last week whilst on a bus.

Anyone know Waterloo Bridge? The north end has a tunnel going down a ramp and following the course of Aldwych (the route of the old Kingsway tram subway). This is presently closed for repairs, so there is congestion when heading north over the river. Anyway, here I am on a 68 (Boris) bus, front seat on the top deck. There are 2 lanes northbound as far as the ramp. Lane 1 is a bus lane; lane 2 for other vehicles and congested, virtually stationary. The 68 is moving ok, with a little holdup but not much, until about midway over the bridge. Little red car in lane 2, actually level with the bus, is fed up with being stationary and rapidly shoots into the bus lane, no signal (and also a rear light out...). The swerved into the nearside kerb, loud horns from both parties(!) and we continued, stop/start, following red car. At the ramp, lane 1 bcomes a bus stop; beyond this are 3 lanes, lane 1 for the Strand (left turn), lanes 2/3 for Aldwych (straight over at the lights shortly after). Having paused at the stop, we moved off, noting that red car has now gone into lane 2. We went in lane 1 but into Aldwych, where their are no lane markings, but the road is probably 6 lanes wide. Red car has to stop, adjacent to the left turn for Covent Garden, but the traffic starts to move again. At this point a Merc pulls out from the left kerb (probably illegally parked in a bus stop but ignore that). Then a loud crunch.....red car hasn't moved off promptly, Merc has hit him up the rear....I think red car got his come-uppance there!. 

Stewart

• Like 4

Well after having the car in the garage for 4 days to change the exhaust, front dampers, all the brakes (including discs), replacing the rear off side passenger door (after a bike tried to overtake me as I indicated and turned right) and getting it MOTed yesterday so the car was 100%, I went out this morning to find a note on the windscreen, a neighbour had smacked the rear bumper in, yep I get the car sorted and 39 hours later the bumper gets bashed in!

Anyone want to buy a BMW320D Touring, 12 months MOT and one careful owner (the other three couldnt give a s--t :no: ).

• RMweb Premium

I found the last place in a car park once. It was one parking bay from the end. Problem was the car in the end bay was parked with its offside wheels completely on the 'wrong' side of the white line dividing the bays. This was despite it being a small car (Mk. III Fiesta) and there being half a bays extra width on the nearside. I had no other choice than to park close to the car blocking the drivers door, not something that I would normally do. When I returned to my car the other car had gone but the driver had left a note on my windscreen saying 'Nice parking ########'.

• RMweb Premium

I found the last place in a car park once. It was one parking bay from the end. Problem was the car in the end bay was parked with its offside wheels completely on the 'wrong' side of the white line dividing the bays. This was despite it being a small car (Mk. III Fiesta) and there being half a bays extra width on the nearside. I had no other choice than to park close to the car blocking the drivers door, not something that I would normally do. When I returned to my car the other car had gone but the driver had left a note on my windscreen saying 'Nice parking ########'.

I've started doing that recently. If someone has parked with their offside wheels over the white line into a space, I'll try and park in that space, so close that they can't open the door!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I may have mentioned this before But I parked in a DIY shed car park that is divided into two halves with the entrance road running down the middle. I went to the side furthest from the DIY building, and parked there knowing I had to load up from the back. I was the only car in that half of the car park (100 + places), when I came back there were two cars in that half of the car park with the second one parked about an inch from my rear bumper. Interesting parking, when you consider I was in my LandRover which is too long for the parking spaces, and the rear was well into the bay behind me. Thats why I had parked down there not to inconvience anyone...

I've started doing that recently. If someone has parked with their offside wheels over the white line into a space, I'll try and park in that space, so close that they can't open the door!

Make sure you get a photo of their car in position next to yours, just incase you come back to find their car gone, and your door stoved in.

• RMweb Premium

One day you'll come back and find your car has been keyed and without any evidence. You might have a moral point,but one day that person will be a lunatic.

• RMweb Gold

Make sure you get a photo of their car in position next to yours, just incase you come back to find their car gone, and your door stoved in.

One day you'll come back and find your car has been keyed and without any evidence. You might have a moral point,but one day that person will be a lunatic.

I've seen his car and it would be an improvement.

When he parked outside a neighbours house they got Storm Doris to throw slates at his car, all of them missed and I got called about the roof. The neighbour said he was worried about the slates hitting the car but I said not to worry as if there was none by the end of the day I'd return and put one through the screen for them.

• RMweb Gold

Nope why should I have had?

They made access very difficult in an otherwise empty car park.

The reason you should have is because they may have been careless and uncaring but you were criminal. Good role model for your children too.

If the car park was empty as you say why couldn't you move your car 8/10 feet to improve access.

I'm always reminded of an argument my Father saw in Houston Texas over a parking space, he said there was car driver that damaged another car while parking in a WalMart which could easily have been settled, but the one who did the damage wouldn't back down. When he returned to his car that part of the car park was cordoned off as the errant driver had been shot in the head by the other who then drove off.

Marked car parking spaces are far too small. Much better if no markings  - the paint wastes 4 inches. Half the annoyances seem to be caused by folk wanting to drive the other's car, instead of concentrating on their own