RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

It is, but no amount of blipping was going to get it to open this time!  To be fair, Peugeot did get someone to have a look straight away and offered me a coffee while I waited, but were unable to get it to open so gave me the option of taking it away with no charge or leave it with them for a proper inspection/dismantling from the inside (an hour's labour: £108...) and were able to give me a courtesy car to keep me on the road (I need a car for work!) while they sort it, so all credit to them for stepping up and getting on to it at such short notice.

Probably the solenoid valve stuck, they do gum up over time (ask me how I know).

Probably the solenoid valve stuck, they do gum up over time (ask me how I know).

Citroën used to design in an access hole so you could stick your hand in, pull out the solenoid plunger and unlock the flap. Clearly they weren't too confident about their electrics either!

My old Volvo's fuel cap went through its phase of not unlocking with the central locking. Slapping the side of the wing where the solenoid is whilst blipping the central locking got it to open, then liberal application of WD40 stopped it happening again.

• RMweb Gold

Citroën used to design in an access hole so you could stick your hand in, pull out the solenoid plunger and unlock the flap. Clearly they weren't too confident about their electrics either!

Whilst not quite that simple, my Xantia solenoid was easily accessed by removing the internal trim cover.

Citroen eventually got to the bottom of volts and amps, no doubt they had been following Joe Lucas, Prince of darkness up until then.

Mike.

• Like 1

Rover's solution to the locking fuel cap idea on the P5B was to fit a small plastic plunger accessible from with in the boot, mine were no trouble at all but it did mean you had to open and close the boot each time you stopped for fuel.

• Like 1

I would like to be on £108 an hour.

You'd probably prefer my hourly rate.

....Citroen eventually got to the bottom of volts and amps, no doubt they had been following Joe Lucas, Prince of darkness up until then....

Ah, you've seen the weedy backlit instrument display.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

When I typed that I thought it would be a pay cut for you!

Admittedly, £108 per hour is about double the old Legal Aid hourly rate that I used to be allowed to charge in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

OT, but I gave up Legal Aid work in about 2006. Wasn't worth the hassle.

• Like 2

Not sure if this is 'fake news' or just internet waffle, but I read on Pistonheads earlier that the new speed cameras on the M1 and M25 are now fully live and set to go off at 70mph. No mention of the same new cameras on the M6 in the West Mids area but if it's true than I wouldn't be surprised.

Be careful folks  ;) 

Not sure if this is 'fake news' or just internet waffle, but I read on Pistonheads earlier that the new speed cameras on the M1 and M25 are now fully live and set to go off at 70mph. No mention of the same new cameras on the M6 in the West Mids area but if it's true than I wouldn't be surprised.

Be careful folks ;)

Those cameras are not new and have been there years. Nothing has changed.

• RMweb Gold

Be careful folks  ;)

There is a lot of talk about getting done for 1 mph over but there is a bit of a problem with that.  ACPO guidelines still are 10% + 2mph.  OK they are only guidelines but if they start doing people for 1mph over the limit they will need a huge amount more staff.  The Chief Constable who is hyping up this 1mph stupidity is asking to be checked wherever he drives in his own car.  Guarantee it would not be long before he got stuck on!

Massive discussion on  retired Police FB page about this and the consensus is that it is stupid and sod all to do with safety as speed on it's own is very seldom the cause of accidents (or collisions as they are now known).  Speed combined with something else is the cause and it is usually driving like a pillock!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If they did bring that in, I can see there being a huge increase in accidents caused by people paying more attention to their speedometers than to the road in front of them - you already see all sorts of odd behaviour around speed cameras as people see the camera, panic & slam on the brakes - often when they were doing well under the limit beforehand...

• RMweb Premium

If they did bring that in, I can see there being a huge increase in accidents caused by people paying more attention to their speedometers than to the road in front of them - you already see all sorts of odd behaviour around speed cameras as people see the camera, panic & slam on the brakes - often when they were doing well under the limit beforehand...

Hi

There is one near us on a 60mph stretch of road that people regularly slow down to 40mph or less as they go past it. Just before the camera is a national speed limit sign.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course all speedometers would then have to be 100% accurate, and tyre pressure can affect the cars indicated speed too.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

Speeding certainly was the cause of this accident in Ayrshire, where an innocent woman motorist was killed, and another injured, by two young men racing on the public highway: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42903704

And it stands to reason that although speeding may not be the direct cause of an accident, the faster a vehicle is going when it hits another vehicle, or a tree, or a person, for example, the worse the results will be.

I therefore welcome all measures to ensure that road users adhere to the law, and where speed cameras are concerned, surely any motorist that is not aware of, and cannot control, the speed of their vehicle without constantly looking at their speedo is not fit and safe to be on the road ? I do agree however that enforcing the limit to the exact mph is unrealistic, demanding an unachievable accuracy of speedometers.

• RMweb Gold

You are not wrong but I would just say that the idiots of this world who choose to use the roads as a race track and put innocents at risk would have less chance to do that if we relied on good old fashioned Policing with the numbers of staff to do the job instead of relying on cameras that do not see this sort of thing.

Speed is not the be all and end all that some make out.  As an Ex Police Officer, (one of many) that used to check cars for defects like tyres, brakes and lights and used to ensure that the people driving them were entitled to and covered by Insurance it is my firm belief that the roads were safer then. 

Speed cameras do none of that and with the cloning of registration numbers these days they very often are not even seeing the correct vehicle.

• RMweb Gold

I think that road safety commentators sometimes get  a little confused over the phrase, speed kills.

The problem is not speed in general, it is inappropriate speed that is the problem.

The national speed limit (NSL) may be 70 mph on a dual carriageway or motorway, but the speed which can be travelled at safely could be far higher if the NSL was raised.

However, what might be appropriate at 70 mph at 3.00am in the morning, is not during the 8am rush hour.

Likewise, doing 28 mph past a primary school at 3.30pm in the afternoon at kicking out time, may be 'legal' but it is certainly not appropriate.

There are too many drivers on the road who have forgotten that the NSL or any lesser speed restriction is the maximum speed permitted.  It is not a target to be achieved at all costs.