Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

When one of the timid drivers gets behind a bicycle and won't pass until they can see the opposite carriageway is clear so they can move over the white line completely.  If they can't then the queue behind them builds and builds...

Well, what is the law there and what do the prophets say, on a winding road with a double white line? The Highway Code tells me I may cross the solid white line "if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less". Now, on the A321 between Wargrave and Henley, a road with a 40 mph speed limit, one frequently encounters packs of the lycra clad, plugging up hill at 15 mph and down hill at 30 mph, and occupying the centre of the road at the traffic lights at the narrow bridge. There am I, trundling along behind in my Vauxhall Zafira (0-60 in 12 minutes) - no chance of getting past and with a Range Rover or Audi (or several) sitting on my tail...

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Largest problem arising from the lockdown, which had some drivers off the road for weeks?

My opinion: failure to proceed. Ever increasing numbers of dawdlers now normal traffic levels are resuming. 20mph on an unrestricted road, the worst today.

It's grockle time we get that this time of year anyway,  as they gawp at the view ..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Hroth said:

When one of the timid drivers gets behind a bicycle and won't pass until they can see the opposite carriageway is clear so they can move over the white line completely.  If they can't then the queue behind them builds and builds...

You must have very wide roads where you live - round here it's generally impossible to safely pass a bike without occupying the oncoming lane. 

Internet suggests the minimum width for a standard two-way single-carriageway road is 5.5m - A 60cm wide bike at 60cm from the kerb, plus 1.5m safe overtaking distance, gives 2.7m to the left-hand side of your car. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Nick C said:

You must have very wide roads where you live - round here it's generally impossible to safely pass a bike without occupying the oncoming lane. 

I suppose we must, I am horrified by the lack of width of some A class roads when on holiday!

For example, a stretch of an A road here is hobbled by having the centre marked off with metre wide hatching.  Its a National Speed Limit stretch too, yet the blessed cyclists still insist on riding in the centre of the carriageway, despite the provision of a segregated cycle path to one side.

Otherwise, the main roads are wide enough to give cyclists sufficient room without going more than half way over a single line.

The current poor driving by some is probably down to timidity, a lack of driving practice, and an inability to appreciate the width of their own vehicle.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

the blessed cyclists still insist on riding in the centre of the carriageway, despite the provision of a segregated cycle path to one side.

If it's anything like the roads where I live, and cycle, the cycle path will be covered in debris and frequently obstructed by pedestrians and dogs, not to mention interrupted by side roads at which motorists might, or more likely might not, stop before blocking the cycle lane, while the left hand side of the road will be full of potholes and sunken drain covers, not to mention further debris, all of no concern to a motorist but possibly fatal for a cyclist.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 18:08, caradoc said:

If it's anything like the roads where I live, and cycle, the cycle path will be covered in debris and frequently obstructed by pedestrians and dogs, not to mention interrupted by side roads at which motorists might, or more likely might not, stop before blocking the cycle lane, while the left hand side of the road will be full of potholes and sunken drain covers, not to mention further debris, all of no concern to a motorist but possibly fatal for a cyclist.

Yup. These very common factors, and the inability of many drivers to actually see cyclists led to my - reluctant - transfer to the powered metal box for my personal mobility needs; I was in my mid thirties, a friend had not long been killed cycling, and I had the scariest near miss imaginable, a car pulled alongside at speed and turned left...

• Friendly/supportive 4

17 hours ago, Reorte said:

Pulled over to let an ambulance past yesterday. The car behind me decided that was a good opportunity to pass me (before the ambulance had got there).

Better to have such people in front rather than behind anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I've often had people stop in front of me in those situations, and I've overtaken them. Sometimes far better to keep moving to allow the 999 vehicle to keep moving faster. (As taught me by their driving instructor). A lot of drivers think "blue light = stop immediately" - it doesn't. They should think where they are stopping, without impeding the progress of the 999.

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

If you are seen however, following the blue light closely to get a clear run you'll get nicked..

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I had an ambulance following me and was looking to move out of the way safely when the car three in front panicked and stopped on a narrow road. It actually pulled into a side road and left the rear of the car impeding everyone else.

Thus caused a jam and the ambulance couldn't get past in a timely fashion.

On that particular road, it would have been better to keep moving and get out of the way later.

If anyone sees blue lights in the mirror, consider the vehicles between you and it before acting too soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2020 at 16:24, Nick C said:

Internet suggests the minimum width for a standard two-way single-carriageway road is 5.5m - A 60cm wide bike at 60cm from the kerb, plus 1.5m safe overtaking distance, gives 2.7m to the left-hand side of your car. 

That's probably about to go up, revisions to the Highway Code for improved safety for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders were published for consultation today.  Rule 163 to be changed to include:

give motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).

As a guide:

leave a minimum distance of 1.5 metres at speeds under 30 mph

leave a minimum distance of 2.0 metres at speeds over 30 mph

for a large vehicle, leave a minimum distance of 2.0 metres in all conditions

pass horse riders and horsedrawn vehicles at speeds under 15 mph and allow at least 2.0 metres space

allow at least 2.0 metres space where a pedestrian is walking in the road (e.g. where there is no pavement) and you should pass them at low speed

you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances

Details here

Martin

Edited by mcowgill
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, mcowgill said:

That's probably about to go up, revisions to the Highway Code for improved safety for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders were published for consultation today.  Rule 163 to be changed to include:

give motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).

As a guide:

leave a minimum distance of 1.5 metres at speeds under 30 mph

leave a minimum distance of 2.0 metres at speeds over 30 mph

for a large vehicle, leave a minimum distance of 2.0 metres in all conditions

pass horse riders and horsedrawn vehicles at speeds under 15 mph and allow at least 2.0 metres space

allow at least 2.0 metres space where a pedestrian is walking in the road (e.g. where there is no pavement) and you should pass them at low speed

you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances

Details here

Martin

2 metres! that's the width of many of the roads round here..

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I had the scariest near miss imaginable, a car pulled alongside at speed and turned left...

That happened to me as well, fortunately not at speed but I was still forced to turn left too to avoid being hit. The car involved stopped soon after so I was able to remonstrate with the driver; Their reply was 'oh, but I was indicating', so clearly I should have a) had eyes in the back of my head to see that, and b) stopped and tugged my forelock so that Lord motorist did not have their progress impeded by a mere cyclist. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

That happened to me as well, fortunately not at speed but I was still forced to turn left too to avoid being hit. The car involved stopped soon after so I was able to remonstrate with the driver; Their reply was 'oh, but I was indicating', so clearly I should have a) had eyes in the back of my head to see that, and b) stopped and tugged my forelock so that Lord motorist did not have their progress impeded by a mere cyclist. 

At least you're here to tell the story!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's one from Australia. Not only driving and breaking the Covid 19 restrictions.

Four people were caught travelling in a car at 175km/h on the Tullamarine Freeway near CityLink on Monday night. The unlicensed driver and his passengers were all fined and the car, with bald tyres, was impounded at a total cost of $7000.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

So if she was a passenger, and fell out into a live lane, the driver was lane hogging the middle lane (or whichever he was in) ?

Or he could have been in a lane moving faster than the left lane, whatever it just shows the absolute stupidity of people.

Of course the driver should be prosecuted for carrying an unbelted passenger, that’s a given hopefully.

• Agree 5