The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, duncan said:

Isn't the A pillar / roof section there supposed to be very strong in case the care overturns ? Certainly doesn't look very impressive ! 

If you look at the bottom left of the screen the A pillar is still there, the roof has sliced through the door.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Its a great pity that there are no'non criminal' routes for disqualifying drivers.

I suggest that it should be possible to withdraw a licence on the grounds that the holder was not a 'fit and proper' person to hold one.

Given the age of the driver, I suspect that even if there is no criminal conviction, the insurance companies will effectively push him off the road, at least for a few years...

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Its a great pity that there are no'non criminal' routes for disqualifying drivers.

I suggest that it should be possible to withdraw a licence on the grounds that the holder was not a 'fit and proper' person to hold one.

There are a small but determined amount of people who just ignore rules about driving. Whilst disqualifying drivers from driving is the minimum for being caught driving without a licence. they clearly have no regard to the rules and with fewer traffic police the chances of being caught is slim. ANPR is a great tool, but only if the authorities take action.

I have seen the DVLA mobile detector vans clamping  untaxed vehicles in the past, perhaps if the DVLA increased their numbers, directed their assets to areas of known non compliance and were able to maximise the value of ceased cars and reinvested the proceeds into further compliance methods

The only way to stop these activities is to hit the offenders where it hurts, both financially and in privileges like social housing etc. Same with those who act up on drunken nights out, slaps on the wrist stopped working years ago.

As far as low level traffic offences are concerned, the rise in white van man/delivery drivers parking wherever they want, disregarding the highway code. Penalise the owners/parent companies with persistent offenders banned  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, duncan said:

Isn't the A pillar / roof section there supposed to be very strong in case the care overturns ? Certainly doesn't look very impressive ! 

Well considering the door has sliced through the roof/sunroof section and the A pillar is still standing, it ain’t that bad.....:lol:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hayfield said:

As far as low level traffic offences are concerned, the rise in white van man/delivery drivers parking wherever they want, disregarding the highway code. Penalise the owners/parent companies with persistent offenders banned  

The sub-contracting of deliveries to individuals gets that problem off the delivery companies'  desk. Knowing who is driving/operating a vehicle is nigh on impossible. Anybody operating a vehicle for business purposes should have their contact details displayed on the car/van/truck by law, it might make them think twice before behaving irresponsibly..

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The sub-contracting of deliveries to individuals gets that problem off the delivery companies'  desk. Knowing who is driving/operating a vehicle is nigh on impossible. Anybody operating a vehicle for business purposes should have their contact details displayed on the car/van/truck by law, it might make them think twice before behaving irresponsibly..

The subcontracting issue has been an issue for many years and one which should have been addressed years ago, we have done this with waste disposal by making the owner (in this case operator) responsible to ensure they have contracted a person who will act by the rules

For 28 years I was self employed, all but the last 3 or four years holding a contract direct with the mother company, whilst being self employed I had to adhere to rules akin to an employee, but worked within a loop hole in Revenue rules. These drivers have similar contracts, they are not free to engage in trade with other companies. The anonymity these mother companies have with their contractors in my opinion is wrong. They should be responsible for the actions of their agents as any other employer is 

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Anybody operating a vehicle for business purposes should have their contact details displayed on the car/van/truck by law, it might make them think twice before behaving irresponsibly..

Like this?

5828E013-1E68-47B3-AB0A-EE07151ABBD6.jpeg.cf6f475d983748709ab304a76f6e9e25.jpeg

There are a quite a few a lot more explicit than this one :o

:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

36 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Like this?

5828E013-1E68-47B3-AB0A-EE07151ABBD6.jpeg.cf6f475d983748709ab304a76f6e9e25.jpeg

There are a quite a few a lot more explicit than this one :o

:D

Quite close to were I live there is a sharp ninety degree bend on a fairly busy road with a thick hedge to catch anyone who missed the bend. One morning there was a Transit van buried in the hedge with a sign on the back saying 'Well Driven? call 0800 ********. Someone dialled the number and it took several attempts to get through and when they did they were made aware that they already knew about it.

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, hayfield said:

There are a small but determined amount of people who just ignore rules about driving. Whilst disqualifying drivers from driving is the minimum for being caught driving without a licence. they clearly have no regard to the rules and with fewer traffic police the chances of being caught is slim. ANPR is a great tool, but only if the authorities take action.

I have seen the DVLA mobile detector vans clamping  untaxed vehicles in the past, perhaps if the DVLA increased their numbers, directed their assets to areas of known non compliance and were able to maximise the value of ceased cars and reinvested the proceeds into further compliance methods

The only way to stop these activities is to hit the offenders where it hurts, both financially and in privileges like social housing etc. Same with those who act up on drunken nights out, slaps on the wrist stopped working years ago.

they already do stake out known areas section at the bottom of Queens way Rochdale just off the m62 slip is one of theyre favourite spots especialy around school rush times .they catch loads off the two low income estates nearby .saddly having the GMP  traffic twitter feed you see persistant offenders ,one guy three times and three cars in a week ! being stopped and the car confiscated nothing short of prison will stop them will take driving unlicensed akin to drink driving before it will stop . 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/11/2020 at 09:36, hayfield said:

Maybe I'm just turning in to a grumpy old man (what do you mean, turning?) but is it a growing number? One of the more obvious signs of everything turning in to black and white extremes seems to be the group with no respect or responsibility for anything at all (including self-responsibility). Are they growing or is it just a side effect or more people anyway, more opportunities to be an idiot, and it being far easier to hear about them?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

IMHO driving bans should be treated as the equivalent of an injunction with power of arrest.

Round them up on a Friday before a bank holiday & leave them for the Judge on Tuesday morning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

It seems to me that the sort of action you suggest would be an excellent way of 'bearing down; on offenders  as well as reducing the risks caused by the untaxed and uninsured drivers without the risks associated with Police chases

• Like 4

On 23/11/2020 at 19:14, johnofwessex said:

It seems to me that the sort of action you suggest would be an excellent way of 'bearing down; on offenders  as well as reducing the risks caused by the untaxed and uninsured drivers without the risks associated with Police chases

so you think the uninsured untaxed driver is going to bother registering the car to there address?  and are simply going to stop when instructed the ones that the police end up chasing won't 

• Agree 1

On 25/11/2020 at 07:39, peanuts said:

so you think the uninsured untaxed driver is going to bother registering the car to there address?  and are simply going to stop when instructed the ones that the police end up chasing won't 

What I would suggest is probably night time sweeps pulling the untaxed & no MOT vehicles off the road & powers to enter private land to do the same.

As far as failure to stop goes, Police chases raise a lot of issues BUT I would suggest that it should be on a par with gun & knife crime because of the dangers it causes.  That means air support, large numbers of officers including armed ones to reduce the risks to officers and the public.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

What I would suggest is probably night time sweeps pulling the untaxed & no MOT vehicles off the road & powers to enter private land to do the same.

As far as failure to stop goes, Police chases raise a lot of issues BUT I would suggest that it should be on a par with gun & knife crime because of the dangers it causes.  That means air support, large numbers of officers including armed ones to reduce the risks to officers and the public.

Air support

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

pulling the untaxed & no MOT vehicles off the road & powers to enter private land to do the same

It's not an offence to keep an untaxed or MoT-expired vehicle on private land.  They'd at least have to have photographic or video evidence of the vehicle being used on the road to do that.  I believe it would also need to show who was driving, unless there was a change in the law to allow prosecution of the driver if they failed to advise who was driving at the time of the offence as per speed cameras.

The catch to this, of course, is that the types likely to drive without MoT, tax or insurance (let's not forget that one, which can have the greatest impact on innocent members of the public caught up in a miscreant's accident) are also the types likely not to bother to advise the DVLA that they are the keeper of the vehicle, or to give a real name and address when doing so.  Offenders of that kind are only going to be caught by being apprehended in the act, which all too often end can up as a pursuit.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 5