The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

One from Australia. Obviously didn't want to pay the toll. Better save a few dollars - after what is your life worth?

Was that a police car waiting at the top of the slip road at the end of the clip?

On 08/10/2019 at 09:56, Joseph_Pestell said:

Usually once a year (harvest time), I find myself driving a long wheelbase 7.5t lorry for a few days.

Yesterday, I have an incident that really showed how little some car drivers think about what they are doing? Arrived yesterday at a small local vineyard to drop off some crates. Completely impossible to turn the corner (or reverse in) at the bottom of their lane because of two parked cars. Had to block the road for several minutes while we dropped the crates some way from where they should have been.

Got back at nearly 10 in the evening. One of the cars still there which made exit in the right direction almost impossible. I must have cleared a roadsign and an overhanging roof by about 1mm, and then only with a lot of shunting.

It seems that car drivers are totally unaware of the space needed by any vehicle larger than the one they are driving.

try driving one for a living around city center manchester on multidrop deliverys absoloute nightmare did you know loading bays are for parking your chelsea tractor whilst you toter off to have your nails done for an hour shame youve just gridlocked half the city center .so glad im now generaly pottering around the pennines between  Delph & Huddersfield much less stressfull 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, peanuts said:

try driving one for a living around city center manchester on multidrop deliverys absoloute nightmare did you know loading bays are for parking your chelsea tractor whilst you toter off to have your nails done for an hour shame youve just gridlocked half the city center .so glad im now generaly pottering around the pennines between  Delph & Huddersfield much less stressfull 

That's an easy one to resolve though. Get a firm to tow them away and charge them a fortune to get it back.

A well-known railway modeller went from doing long-distance semi-artics to eight-wheeler cement mixers delivering to Central London sites. He would agree with you about the joys of HGV driving in cities.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That's an easy one to resolve though. Get a firm to tow them away and charge them a fortune to get it back.

A well-known railway modeller went from doing long-distance semi-artics to eight-wheeler cement mixers delivering to Central London sites. He would agree with you about the joys of HGV driving in cities.

oh no that means hes a tipper driver they are all nutters and the outcasts of the hgv driving world :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, peanuts said:

oh no that means hes a tipper driver they are all nutters and the outcasts of the hgv driving world :rofl:

Certainly, round here we have a lot of tippers delivering Mendip stone to building sites around Bournemouth. Nutters describes them well not that I envy them having to drive on our c**p roads.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2019 at 12:35, Hobby said:

Copy Highway Code 243 and stick it on her windscreen with a note to say that unless she desists the Police will be informed. Or even better get the local council to put down double yellow lines, contact your local councillor.

Good luck with that. We live on a corner and regularly get people parking their cars within the 10M zone. 

Most of the side roads down our road have yellow lines on the corners, and opposite the junctions, but ours does not.

I contacted our local councillor about this after poor parking on the opposite corner caused the refuse lorries to mount the pavement and badly damage the surface on our corner.

To her credit, she did contact our "Parking consortium" and was told it would cost £20,000 to do it. So it didn't happen.

About 6 months later they came and re-did all the yellow lines.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

but its not as your tow away truck is also stuck in the gridlock .and that London is a nightmare hgv i avoid like the plague been there done that got the high blood pressure 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Living here in semi-rural Yorkshire, what I have come to notice is the arrogance of the drivers of modern double cab pickups who seem to think they are the only ones who deserve to be on the roads. They use their bulk as a means of intimidation sometimes in a potentially dangerous manner.

steve

Edited by steve1
2nd thoughts
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I was really hacked off yesterday.

Following a marked police care in Kidderminster, we passed a pedestrian crossing at a school at kicking out time.

Parked within the hatched area of the crossing was a van, which as we know is a big no no.

Did the police car stop and do something about it?

No he just drove to the end of the road and went and parked up behind the police station.

That is really is p*ss poor policing.

I did not go into the police station and complain as it would no doubt have been a waste of time as there would have been some excuse as to why this was not picked up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Following a marked police care in Kidderminster, we passed a pedestrian crossing at a school at kicking out time.

Parked within the hatched area of the crossing was a van, which as we know is a big no no.

No he just drove to the end of the road and went and parked up behind the police station.

I did not go into the police station and complain as it would no doubt have been a waste of time as there would have been some excuse as to why this was not picked up.

Three points and a fine for that bounce.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/10/2019 at 19:09, Joseph_Pestell said:

Certainly, round here we have a lot of tippers delivering Mendip stone to building sites around Bournemouth. Nutters describes them well not that I envy them having to drive on our c**p roads.

Plenty around the Peak District as well. They seem to delight in forcing people off the lesser roads avoiding the A6 through Hazel Grove whilst racing from Buxton to the Greater Manchester area. Worst is when they are empty and driving flat out to pick up another load from Hurdlow before closing time so they can make an early start next morning.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Road policing has been abandoned except for accidents in most places. Today I will ride across to my daughter's house to do the school pick-up for her. 8 miles and two counvils/police forces. I will see 3 or 4 illeagally parked cars in each area on both journeys and obviously that won't include overstays. 10 minutes walk each way to the school will usually find at least 4 more and a lot of inconsiderate parking on pavements not leaving enough room for a pushchair or wheelchair. I've been doing twice a week in school terms for 5 years and have seen the Parking Enforcement company on our side of the border three times at most and only seen ticketed vehicles twice on the other area.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Road policing has been abandoned except for accidents in most places.

Try telling that to a driver who was stopped yesterday on the A303 for speeding. The car, a Porsche Carrera, was impounded which would indicate 100mph plus.

The irony is that the guy has a reputation for being a Mister Slow who never uses the potential of either his car or his big bike. He was only driving at that speed yesterday as his brother had just phoned to say their warehouse was on fire.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Road policing has been abandoned except for accidents in most places. Today I will ride across to my daughter's house to do the school pick-up for her. 8 miles and two counvils/police forces. I will see 3 or 4 illeagally parked cars in each area on both journeys and obviously that won't include overstays. 10 minutes walk each way to the school will usually find at least 4 more and a lot of inconsiderate parking on pavements not leaving enough room for a pushchair or wheelchair. I've been doing twice a week in school terms for 5 years and have seen the Parking Enforcement company on our side of the border three times at most and only seen ticketed vehicles twice on the other area.

Its the same everywhere, I even have difficulty getting off my drive due to it being surrounded by illegally parked cars (my drive is within 10 metres of a road junction).

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Try telling that to a driver who was stopped yesterday on the A303 for speeding. The car, a Porsche Carrera, was impounded which would indicate 100mph plus.

The irony is that the guy has a reputation for being a Mister Slow who never uses the potential of either his car or his big bike. He was only driving at that speed yesterday as his brother had just phoned to say their warehouse was on fire.

And it only happens now that Police officers no longer use the opening line "OK Sunshine. Where's the fire?" too. What a terrible waste.

• Funny 4

I assume the police car would have had forward facing video so they could have prosecuted without any of us knowing. My understanding is that they will prosecute based on photos/videos from the Public...

(We can but hope that's the case, anyhow!)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

it has got so bad at the school near me that they is now a police car in attendance most days 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/10/2019 at 10:15, Hobby said:

I assume the police car would have had forward facing video so they could have prosecuted without any of us knowing. My understanding is that they will prosecute based on photos/videos from the Public...

(We can but hope that's the case, anyhow!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1420287574875060/permalink/2495856953984778/ wonder who they will prosecute for this one ?

On 16/10/2019 at 11:23, Hobby said:

Global warming? What Global warming?!

At least the pollution will reduce when the kids are at the extinction rebellion meetings when they bunk off school!

Your not implying they are all a load of hypocrites and go to school in their parents 4x4 instead of using the bus, cycle or go on foot?

• Funny 1