The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Twice in 3 days now I've had people pass me and turn right whilst I was waiting to turn right, and indicating , but wasn't at the stop/give way line.

The the junction approaches weren't wide enough for 2 cars side by side, until at the line. So I'm behind the car turning left at the junction, and to the right almost on the dividing marking, and people are going round me. :stop:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I had to go to east London in the car. When I was working as a mobile technician covering most of east London I thought driving standards up there were poor.

It was an eye opener, 17 years later, to visit that area again. No lane discipline, stop where you like, U-turns where you like. Pedestrians with a death wish. I could go on but won't.

Needless to say I'll use public transport if I can avoid having to take the car up there again.

Need a lie down in a darkened room. :rolleyes:

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Your not implying they are all a load of hypocrites and go to school in their parents 4x4 instead of using the bus, cycle or go on foot?

I often wonder what forms of transport all those E.R.  X.R. types use in order to get to the demonstrations?  I've a feeling that walking or cycling doesn't feature in many answers....

Edited by polybear
Edited to save me from the Firing Squad. Hopefully
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Hey, well what a surprise.  It seems that "Smart Motorways" are to be reviewed after concerns over driver safety fears.  Cars which are broken down and/or had an accident are on the hard shoulder at times when the hard shoulder is "open" for use as a road lane, with several deaths as a result.

So where exactly did the Transport/Highways Dept. Wizards expect such vehicles to stop?  In the Fast Third Lane?

FFS.

(Source:  BBC News UK webpage.  I'd post a link but it won't....)

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

I often wonder what forms of transport all those E.R. types use in order to get to the demonstrations?  I've a feeling that walking or cycling doesn't feature in many answers....

Oi stop. Insulting those on the early riser page, those on the demonstrations are known as XRs

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oi stop. Insulting those on the early riser page, those on the demonstrations are known as XRs

Early rising is definitely something I rebel against!

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Early rising is definitely something I rebel against!

And me if only for the fact I cannot get my body clock back to normal after doing nights last week despite setting the alarm for normal times, I cant get to sleep until 5 or 6AM and then sleep through it which is stuffing my days off a treat and doesnt bode well for next week when I am on earlies, 0700 Sunday (extra Sunday for all those complaining about us not working them), 0530 Monday etc.

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Hey, well what a surprise.  It seems that "Smart Motorways" are to be reviewed after concerns over driver safety fears.  Cars which are broken down and/or had an accident are on the hard shoulder at times when the hard shoulder is "open" for use as a road lane, with several deaths as a result.

So where exactly did the Transport/Highways Dept. Wizards expect such vehicles to stop?  In the Fast Third Lane?

FFS.

(Source:  BBC News UK webpage.  I'd post a link but it won't....)

smart motorways "too complicated" for drivers... quite frankly, if looking at the road ahead of you and following the instruction of large, illuminated signs above you is too complicated, perhaps you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all...

then again, we're 300 pages into a thread which shows that driving is beyond quite a few people...

• Agree 10

13 minutes ago, bimble said:

then again, we're 300 pages into a thread which shows that driving is beyond quite a few people...

Indeed, when I learnt to drive the first question I was asked was 'do you want to learn to drive or learn to pass the test'*, nowadays with these 'express' courses it seems a lot of people are simply learning enough to pass the test, thinking they are then a good driver (because they managed to scrape through the test) and forgetting most of what little they learnt in the first place.

* my answer was 'to learn to drive'.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

I often wonder what forms of transport all those E.R. types use in order to get to the demonstrations?  I've a feeling that walking or cycling doesn't feature in many answers....

ERs is a perfectly respectable part of Wheeltappers, and I would like you to take your insinuations elsewhere.

The cheek of it!

Disgusted of Telford

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

ERs is a perfectly respectable part of Wheeltappers, and I would like you to take your insinuations elsewhere.

The cheek of it!

Disgusted of Telford

Post duly edited.  Please show mercy....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, royaloak said:

If he doesnt calm down just go and superglue yourself to his car, that should p-ss him off no end.;)

I like the thought of that, a screaming parking sensor!

Well it is a BMW X3 Special................

as it has working indicators.

• Funny 6

4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I like the thought of that, a screaming parking sensor!

Well it is a BMW X3 Special................

as it has working indicators.

I call FAKE NEWS - I don't believe BWM have ever made a car with indicators, working or otherwise :jester::jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

I call FAKE NEWS - I don't believe BWM have ever made a car with indicators, working or otherwise :jester::jester:

Once again you are wrong, mine has working indicators (unlike most Audis) AND I know how to use them, AND I do actually use them every time I drive the car.

That one is getting very boring!

Ah you live in America, that says a lot about your arrogance!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the way back from the supermarket this evening, turning right at a roundabout, the Merc behind me came up the left lane, undertook me, then proceeded to tailgate the car in front for the next couple of miles before reaching the dual carriageway and shooting off at well over the limit...

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hmm, no mention in the article of the fact that he was not only going stupidly fast, but he was overtaking against the solid white lines.

"He ruled Mr Barton died as a result of a road traffic collision."

A more accurate ruling would have been: "Mr Barton killed himself through his own stupidity, and ended the life of an innocent third party in the process".

• Agree 17

10 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Hmm, no mention in the article of the fact that he was not only going stupidly fast, but he was overtaking against the solid white lines.

"He ruled Mr Barton died as a result of a road traffic collision."

A more accurate ruling would have been: "Mr Barton killed himself through his own stupidity, and ended the life of an innocent third party in the process".

has anybody noticed how these clowns never mangage to hit the rear of a 44t tipper truck when they inevitabley wipe themselves out just some poor innocent motorist going about there buisness with devestating results 

• Agree 9