7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

Two off them opposing, could be one either end, just be wary of point motor fitment

Ok, the main frame will be at scenic base level and the track will higher on an elevated section. So I'm ok with diagonals on the base section but need to plan motor positions and cross members on the upper section.

• RMweb Premium

No problem with using soft-board, just don't use one long piece.  I've used Sundeala, but I cut into into short lengths (about 6 - 8 inches)and fixed them to the plywood individually.  That way any warping is minimal, and won't pull the whole baseboard out of shape.

Cheers, Dave.

No problem with using soft-board, just don't use one long piece.  I've used Sundeala, but I cut into into short lengths (about 6 - 8 inches)and fixed them to the plywood individually.  That way any warping is minimal, and won't pull the whole baseboard out of shape.

Cheers, Dave.

When I say soft board I am not referring to Sundeala, Sundeala is a different animal compared to what I was referring too and is a lot better quality and more expensive, and comes in at least two different grades

I can't remember any other name for it than soft board it is brown and soft unlike Sundeala which is grey and dense

Geoff

• RMweb Premium

When I say soft board I am not referring to Sundeala, Sundeala is a different animal compared to what I was referring too and is a lot better quality and more expensive, and comes in at least two different grades

I can't remember any other name for it than soft board it is brown and soft unlike Sundeala which is grey and dense

Geoff

I know what you mean Geoff, but Sundeala warps as well, and its a lot harder to straighten!

Is it "Wood Fibre Insulation Board" that you have used?  The stuff CJ Freezer used to recommend for baseboards in RM?

Cheers, Dave.

I know what you mean Geoff, but Sundeala warps as well, and its a lot harder to straighten!

Is it "Wood Fibre Insulation Board" that you have used?  The stuff CJ Freezer used to recommend for baseboards in RM?

Cheers, Dave.

It wasn't a warping problem it was the soft board used as an underlay for the cork  

This that I am referring to takes us back to 1990's not present day, the board that was used is hygroscopic, expands when wet, on one occassion we had stock falling of the track when going through one of the main turnouts of the layout, what had happened was during storage the area under the common crossing had got wet resulting in that area rising so that the common crossing was higher than the stock rails

Their is still a board on the market that is referred to as soft board use for insulation and sound proofing

Geoff

Not being an expert on this matter I would like to say i built some four by two boards some 15 years ago, these are still in use on the new layout.

The boards were made using quarter inch ply with 2 inch by 1 inch (PAR) around the edges, glued and screwed, a central cross brace with two diagonals in opposing directions. Not one has warped in the 15 years.  they were all given a coat of varnish before work began on laying track.

I would add that these boards have never been in a centrally heated environment, but have been housed in a garage or summer house. Also the framing timber is well seasoned, I tend to purchase my timber well in advanced and store it for a couple of years which allows it to dry out.

Loconuts

I've been with Black Country Blues at Halifax show today. Lots of discussion ensued around all subjects on the Bratton Fleming project. The Slimlines Body kit has started its journey to builder Chris-GNR. Coach build decisions were made around the new brass etchings and the 'plasticard' bodies with Paul and Mike (Worsdell forever & 49395). Couplings were also handed out.

John (Old Gringo) entered the fray by naming one of the diesel track cleaning locos 'Ajax' after one of my cats amongst other things. The other one will be named Rodney after the other one OG couldn't remember (not Dave).

Wagon Basher put some of the new - very expensive - couplings in his wallet. He was heard saying that he's decided he's doing the easy pretty bits on the wagons leaving the difficult chassis bits for Mark (Forrest), oops

Geoff Cook kindly gave me advice on regauging the Track cleaning pair, agreed the wheel and axle size for the re-gauging jig and also further explained diagonal bracing on the baseboards.

Thanks to Mike I've also acquired two more books from Nick Tozer;

post-8734-0-26567300-1443294994_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-80478900-1443295004_thumb.jpg

So a good day all round

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

So a good day all round 

Sounds like it.  I've drawn a blank so far in tracing any loco kits, but its still early days.

Annoyed that I can't get to the L&B Gala this weekend, Blanche from the Festiniog is visiting.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

Sounds like it.  I've drawn a blank so far in tracing any loco kits, but its still early days.

Annoyed that I can't get to the L&B Gala this weekend, Blanche from the Festiniog is visiting.

Cheers, Dave.

No worries Dave.

Yes I'd noticed Blanche going to Woody Bay although I've always fancied Linda...

Perhaps a double headed special on BF one day?

Right then, I've done a bit of scribble this morning to show my current thoughts on transit boxes and their use as legs for the layout;

post-8734-0-10013300-1443346423_thumb.jpg

Notes;

3 Boards per box

Board height at least 12"

"I" section height adjustable to compensate for floor discrepancies

Use of aluminium box section for longitudinal beams (9 feet - check trailer)

Depending on strength of aluminium intermediate supports may be required

Wheels on boxes need brakes

Boards removed from ends of boxes

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

L&B Gala this weekend, Blanche from the Festiniog is visiting.

I have found this on You Tube (Thanks to Harry 4468)

Lots of steam action - sit back and enjoy - pity it's only 3.5 minutes . . . . . .

Video

Slide show of stills

• Like 8

I have found this on You Tube (Thanks to Harry 4468)

Lots of steam action - sit back and enjoy - pity it's only 3.5 minutes . . . . . .

Video

Slide show of stills

There's some nice stuff on there. I like the older films as well in particular the September 2014 gala with new build 190 LYD. Has it got a cut down cab or is it my imagination?

• RMweb Premium

The cab of Lyd is profiled to clear the Festiniog loading gauge, which I think is dictated by the size of Garnedd Tunnel.  So yes, the edges of the cab are more rounded off than the original locos.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Right then, I've done a bit of scribble this morning to show my current thoughts on transit boxes and their use as legs for the layout;attachicon.giftransit boxes.jpgNotes;3 Boards per boxBoard height at least 12""I" section height adjustable to compensate for floor discrepanciesUse of aluminium box section for longitudinal beams (9 feet - check trailer)Depending on strength of aluminium intermediate supports may be requiredWheels on boxes need brakesBoards removed from ends of boxes

What section are you planning to use for the beams? If your sketch is sort of to scale you will have no problems unless you're going to use lead or similar for the baseboards.