7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

Found some old boats in a shed today. Conscious of the recycling regime in Norway and aware the boats were no longer used by the vikings, perhaps some of the timber could be used for my new layout project??

post-8734-0-60458800-1442929186_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-28547500-1442929157_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-04123800-1442929143_thumb.jpg

Perhaps it's a language thing but we didn't get far...

Enjoy and yes I know it's off topic but I can't get building until I'm back!!!

I'm dead keen to get started - I'm having a tantrum out here!

• Like 2

To add to the off topicness, rumor has it that the peices of those boats that they dug up were so distorted and out of shape from all those years underwater that they cut and altered the shapes of some of the peices so that they could be put together into nice looking viking boats instead of wobbly old wrecks.

Will your trip be taking you to other areas of Norway?

Stuart (who has spent the last 2 years studying Norwegian wooden boat building)

To add to the off topicness, rumor has it that the peices of those boats that they dug up were so distorted and out of shape from all those years underwater that they cut and altered the shapes of some of the peices so that they could be put together into nice looking viking boats instead of wobbly old wrecks.

Will your trip be taking you to other areas of Norway?

Stuart (who has spent the last 2 years studying Norwegian wooden boat building)

For sure two of the boats had been reconstructed to show the complete items and one was just the bottom in as found condition.

But never the less it was a humbling experience to see such history presented in this way.

Unfortunately we leave the beautiful country Norway for Stockholm today so l have to find another source of wood....

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

For sure two of the boats had been reconstructed to show the complete items and one was just the bottom in as found condition.

But never the less it was a humbling experience to see such history presented in this way.

Unfortunately we leave the beautiful country Norway for Stockholm today so l have to find another source of wood....

Cheers

Ikea?

Ah here we go

post-8734-0-41917700-1443005406_thumb.jpg

Should be able to make a start with that little lot.

Oh and with all this time to think I've made an exec decision on the baseboards, they will be made and used upside down! By this I mean there will be a flat boards on the bottom (instead of the top) and the frame will then be built on top - this should save some depth....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having a solid underneath to the board will make fixing point motors, and wiring very difficult...

Maybe use a solid piece of wood, but with large cut outs for access. The solid piece will help retain rigidity and the cut outs will save weight.

• RMweb Gold

.... And I'm also thinking of tensioning all of the front boards together from one end to the other using ratchet straps instead of the usual bolts.

Hopefully this could save a lot of time....

Until it goes 'ping' and the middle makes a bid for freedom in the direction of up. 

• Like 1

Having a solid underneath to the board will make fixing point motors, and wiring very difficult...

Maybe use a solid piece of wood, but with large cut outs for access. The solid piece will help retain rigidity and the cut outs will save weight.

Don't worry it's sorted. There will be access holes for point motors and wiring.
  • Like 1

Oh and with all this time to think I've made an exec decision on the baseboards, they will be made and used upside down! By this I mean there will be a flat boards on the bottom (instead of the top) and the frame will then be built on top - this should save some depth....

Your trainset you can make as many executive decisions as you want too

Why have a flat boarded area at all.

Your trainset you can make as many executive decisions as you want too

Why have a flat boarded area at all.

Stop the boards twisting?

But yes could go for open.....

One things for sure ill be putting lateral support under the trackbed. I've always thought both New Haden and Trenglos suffered from not having this. Giving way to undulations where the trackbed was unsupported. Yes I won't be able to do this where the point motors go but that's only a small length.

• Like 1

But yes could go for open.....

One things for sure ill be putting lateral support under the trackbed. I've always thought both New Haden and Trenglos suffered from not having this. Giving way to undulations where the trackbed was unsupported. Yes I won't be able to do this where the point motors go but that's only a small length.

I think you may have forgotten about the construction of New Haden, the initial deck that the track is laid on is large panels of 3/8" plywood covering all the baseboard area, these large panels initially forming the contours of the layout, where the track was to be laid the ply was first covered in 1/2" notice board material ( brown sh1t  soft board ) then covered with cork.

It was the 1/2" notice board material that caused any undulations in the track bed,caused by being held down with large weights when fitted and the layout later being stored in a damp wet atmosphere causing the notice board material to expand when it got wet, the large weights causing depressions, the depressions being leveled before I laid any track having removed the previous track work, Levelling the track bed out is something that I have had to do on another layout recently

I think you may have forgotten about the construction of New Haden, the initial deck that the track is laid on is large panels of 3/8" plywood covering all the baseboard area, these large panels initially forming the contours of the layout, where the track was to be laid the ply was first covered in 1/2" notice board material ( brown sh1t  soft board ) then covered with cork.

It was the 1/2" notice board material that caused any undulations in the track bed,caused by being held down with large weights when fitted and the layout later being stored in a damp wet atmosphere causing the notice board material to expand when it got wet, the large weights causing depressions, the depressions being leveled before I laid any track having removed the previous track work, Levelling the track bed out is something that I have had to do on another layout recently

Yes agreed, wouldn't use soft board again - it's a constant learning exercise.

A large flat area of ply will not stop the boards from twisting, you can only stop twisting by adding diagonal bracing.

Before fitting diagonal bracing which will hold it all square and stop twist you need to ensure that it is square and not twisted when you fit the bracing, otherwise the twist will be always their and you would need to remove it and try again

A large flat area of ply will not stop the boards from twisting, you can only stop twisting by adding diagonal bracing.

Before fitting diagonal bracing which will hold it all square and stop twist you need to ensure that it is square and not twisted when you fit the bracing, otherwise the twist will be always their and you would need to remove it and try again

Does the bracing need to be both ways or just one?