7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Update

By way of a progress report here's where we've got to so far;

Layout design

2manyspams (Chris) has, after slapping me with a wet fish, come up with a much better layout design (post 112 second drawing) which is now 20 feet long by 4 feet deep. It certainly will be a layout within the landscape. Chris is currently working out all of the scenic and trackbed levels, including a steep 1 in 50 climb out of the station.

Mark Forrest has kindly offered to transpose the plan into Templot.

Track

We have made a decision to go for the more accurate o14 gauge as apposed o-16.5/on30. Because the line was designed to 'main line standards' expect transition curves and some cant. I've been kindly lent a British Railways Board (1973) book on track geometry so that's something to get my head around although I'm aware Templot works this out for you it's still nice to understand the principles.

Track will be using KB scale components and C&L 7mm sleepers cut to length. I've ordered Code 80 rail, Fishplates, Rail base plates, Roller gauges and a brass multi gauge.

Buildings and Structures

In a nappy changing avoidance move, Jason T has volunteered his services and is kindly building the Station Building and the Water tower.

2manyspams is up for building both the Over-bridge and the Under-bridge and also the Station Masters house which was planned but never built. A nice little 'what if' touch for further interest.

Scenics

2manyspams (formally Mr Cack and Poo - I'm sure Andy B wrote a poem) has offered assistance on the land forms. Expect a national shortage of polystyrene and more mess than you could ever imagine

Locomotives

I've ordered a Slimlines Manning Wardle loco body kit, Chris-GNR has kindly offered his services and is going to scratch build a chassis for it as we have been unable locate anything suitable.

I'm not aware how we are going to model the 'Yankee' as yet

Coaches

49395 (Mike) is currently creating some CAD drawings of the coach chassis with the aim of producing etched brass frets.

Worsdell Forever (Paul) has offered to build the coaches once we have produced the parts. Up for grabs at the minute is how we produce the bodies. We've considered and dismissed the current offerings on the market so will again have to produce our own. Methods under consideration are; Laser cutting, Silhouette cutting and 3d printing. we may produce samples and decide from there. Andy York has volunteered to give Silhouette cutting a go. Chris has bought; Door handles, Door bangs and grab handles from Telford show.

Wagons

Wagonbasher (Andy) and Mark Forest have thrown their hats in the ring and are looking to build the wagons starting with 4 wheel variants. These will all be scratch built. I'd suggested the two engineering cranes to Mark but he seems to veering away from this idea - strange. Mark is proposing to spring the wagons and Andy is looking in to casting common parts in resin.

Have I forgotten anything? probably, there's a lot going on - and a lot to read and digest!

That's more like it !!!

Regarding the rail, will you be using Karlgarin? http://www.karlgarin.com/whatsnew.htm  The section is much more accurate for narrow gauge;  I've used normal code-80 on Bridport (Peco IL115) Its the right height but way too skinny.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT

That's more like it !!!

Regarding the rail, will you be using Karlgarin? http://www.karlgarin.com/whatsnew.htm  The section is much more accurate for narrow gauge;  I've used normal code-80 on Bridport (Peco IL115) Its the right height but way too skinny.

Cheers,

Dave.

Yes it is Karlgarin, I miss quoted as code 80 when it is actually code 82.

Thank you for politely pointing that out...

Update

By way of a progress report here's where we've got to so far;

Layout design

2manyspams (Chris) has, after slapping me with a wet fish, come up with a much better layout design (post 112 second drawing) which is now 20 feet long by 4 feet deep. It certainly will be a layout within the landscape. Chris is currently working out all of the scenic and trackbed levels, including a steep 1 in 50 grade to the right of the station.

Mark Forrest has kindly offered to transpose the plan into Templot.

Track

We have made a decision to go for the more accurate o14 gauge as apposed o-16.5/on30. Because the line was designed to 'main line standards' expect transition curves and some cant. I've been kindly lent a British Railways Board (1973) book on track geometry so that's something to get my head around although I'm aware Templot works this out for you it's still nice to understand the principles.

Track will be using KB scale components and C&L 7mm sleepers cut to length. I've ordered Code 82 rail, Fishplates, Rail base plates, Roller gauges and a brass multi gauge.

Buildings and Structures

In a nappy changing avoidance move, Jason T has volunteered his services and is kindly building the Station Building and the Water tower.

2manyspams is up for building both the Over-bridge and the Under-bridge and also the Station Masters house which was planned but never built. A nice little 'what if' touch for further interest.

Scenics

2manyspams (formally Mr Cack and Poo - I'm sure Andy B wrote a poem) has offered assistance on the land forms. Expect a national shortage of polystyrene and more mess than you could ever imagine

Locomotives

I've ordered a Slimlines Manning Wardle loco body kit, Chris-GNR has kindly offered his services and is going to scratch build a chassis for it as we have been unable locate anything suitable.

I'm not aware how we are going to model the 'Yankee' as yet

Coaches

49395 (Mike) is currently creating some CAD drawings of the coach chassis with the aim of producing etched brass frets.

Worsdell Forever (Paul) has offered to build the coaches once we have produced the parts. Up for grabs at the minute is how we produce the bodies. We've considered and dismissed the current offerings on the market so will again have to produce our own. Methods under consideration are; Laser cutting, Silhouette cutting and 3d printing. we may produce samples and decide from there. Andy York has volunteered to give Silhouette cutting a go. Chris has bought; Door handles, Door bangs and grab handles from Telford show.

Wagons

Wagonbasher (Andy) and Mark Forest have thrown their hats in the ring and are looking to build the wagons starting with 4 wheel variants. These will all be scratch built. I'd suggested the two engineering cranes to Mark but he seems to veering away from this idea - strange. Mark is proposing to spring the wagons and Andy is looking in to casting common parts in resin.

Have I forgotten anything? probably, there's a lot going on - and a lot to read and digest!

You are probably aware of these plans  http://www.009.cd2.com/lynton_and_barnstaple_modelling/drawings.htm others may find the link usefull

• RMweb Gold

Oooowh

Fancy building the Signal shed with doors open and a full level frame in it?

That's you on the spot...

Yes to the signal shed, with doors open !

If there are details for the interior, then I can give this ago !

Not sure what details there are in the 'book', but will have a look.

I did make a signal shed on the one at Woody Bay and guess quite similar.

post-7854-0-98747600-1442086838.jpg

• Like 1

Yes to the signal shed, with doors open !

If there are details for the interior, then I can give this ago !

Not sure what details there are in the 'book', but will have a look.

I did make a signal shed on the one at Woody Bay and guess quite similar.

attachicon.gifDSC_0036.JPG

Nice one. Welcome aboard our little train to Lynton...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Will you be using holes in the baseboard build? As I have not noticed any mention of them in this frenetic burst of activity and would hate for you to miss them out in the construction process.

Now there's a question; should the hole size be relative to the 7mm scale or 14mm gauge?

Will you be using holes in the baseboard build? As I have not noticed any mention of them in this frenetic burst of activity and would hate for you to miss them out in the construction process.

Yes I've a few left over, some in a bucket and in the socks I've got on - although they seam to be different sizes...

In honesty I don't know that'll bother. When I built the boards for 'Diesels' or in particular the first one I spent the whole day cutting holes everywhere, I chucked them all in a bucket. At the end of the day I went to pick up the bucket expecting a good weight - but no it was light as anything - it wasn't worth the bother.

The other two boards therefore do not have holes in.....

• RMweb Gold

On the loco front have you talked to EDM? Paul Martin is still working on the MW kit but it may be within the timescale and certainly worth investigating. He might have parts you can use potentially too. Paul might also be able to suggest ideas for Lyn as I think there was a kit in the past from someone else and he'd probably know who.

Wheels

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/EDM_Models/Wheels/loco_wheels.htm

Transfers

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Decals/EDM_Decals/edm_decals.html#L&B%20Crest

Edited by PaulRhB

On the loco front have you talked to EDM? Paul Martin is still working on the MW kit but it may be within the timescale and certainly worth investigating. He might have parts you can use potentially too. Paul might also be able to suggest ideas for Lyn as I think there was a kit in the past from someone else and he'd probably know who.

Yes, I've been in touch but only briefly. This kit was my preference as it looks excellent quality although I'm aware there are issues to sort, he said his re-vamp of the Gibson kit wasn't coming anytime soon.

Might be worth a further chat although I don't really know him and I don't like to push people, despite the banter on this thread indicating otherwise.

Am I right in assuming the kit is only for the last MW or does it cover all variants?

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what alterations Paul was planning to the original kit, most work he's written about seems to be on the chassis, I've only seen the later version built from it. I'd take his word on not anytime soon as he's honest about such things especially after the health scare and doing more on his own projects ;) Problem for any small business is the kits require a hell of a lot of work for only one product so they tend to be driven more by passion than getting rich ;)

Just was worth a check and some of those parts might be of interest as I've always found, as a customer. him to be discerning in his choice of products and his model building speaks for itself.

I don't know what alterations Paul was planning to the original kit, most work he's written about seems to be on the chassis, I've only seen the later version built from it. I'd take his word on not anytime soon as he's honest about such things especially after the health scare and doing more on his own projects ;) Problem for any small business is the kits require a hell of a lot of work for only one product so they tend to be driven more by passion than getting rich ;)

Just was worth a check and some of those parts might be of interest as I've always found, as a customer. him to be discerning in his choice of products and his model building speaks for itself.

That's ok, it is, or should be, a hobby of enjoyment.

I've ordered a Slimlines Body kit, so we will see how we get on with that using a scratch built chassis (not by me I might add but by Chris-GNR of this parish).

All good and thanks.