7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

Nice one!

It's funny I'm often accused of oversized tools for small modelling jobs...

I'm hoping in some small way our project will promote and raise awareness of the line rebuild...

I've got some 7mm track to build some time, but have decided against using the chainsaw for it, as I think a razor saw will do!

• Like 1

Looking great!

What are you going to use for the sleepers on the layout?

Have you thought about cutting your own sleepers from plywood sheet?

Thank you.

I'll buy ready cut, Mark has found out that C&L do laser cut 7mm sleepers without the rivet holes and are 3mm thick. So that sounds like a plan to me.

The question I don't know the answer to at present is what width sleepers were used on the Switch and Crossings? Were they wider as per standard gauge practise?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The question I don't know the answer to at present is what width sleepers were used on the Switch and Crossings? Were they wider as per standard gauge practise?

Looking at the baseplates and their size in relation to the sleepers, I'd be tempted to say the turnouts will need wider timbers, otherwise the baseplates on the diverging rail are going to come very close to the edges of the timber.

Looking at the baseplates and their size in relation to the sleepers, I'd be tempted to say the turnouts will need wider timbers, otherwise the baseplates on the diverging rail are going to come very close to the edges of the timber.

Yes, so I'll work on the basis of using wider timbers for the S&C.

Fair point.