Buildings over tunnels?

Hello, I'm making a new layout and I'm trying to avoid the usual "bus on bridge" solution to hiding my tunnels.

How prototypical is it to have buildings, with or without any roadway near them, over railway tunnels?

My main doubt concerns the buildings foundations, in relation to the roof of the tunnel.

For example, if I were to put a pub over a tunnel, would the tiny landlord end up on the roof of the 14:22 to Charing Cross when he went to down change the barrel?

Any insight would be very welcome. Cheers.

Hello, I'm making a new layout and I'm trying to avoid the usual "bus on bridge" solution to hiding my tunnels.

How prototypical is it to have buildings, with or without any roadway near them, over railway tunnels?

My main doubt concerns the buildings foundations, in relation to the roof of the tunnel.

For example, if I were to put a pub over a tunnel, would the tiny landlord end up on the roof of the 14:22 to Charing Cross when he went to down change the barrel?

Absolutely fine mate, the photo is of Knaresborough which is pretty much the situation you describe.  Don't forget a lot of earlier buildings have very shallow foundations.

post-4569-0-68148300-1441138634.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Some of the very best layouts are spoilt for me by the builder not having thought through this problem and looked at what happens in real life.

A lot of it has to do with the age of the building. If it is older than the railway, very unlikely that the railway could tunnel beneath it unless there was a lot of depth of ground below the building (more than you would be looking for in a layout).

A building built after the railway could be built with suitable foundations. But in general, your best bet is probably for buildings that are built over a covered way or on a bridge.

• RMweb Premium

I think there was a case of someone's new building ending up in a tunnel but it was the exception that proved the rule. I don't have a photo as good as Boris' but have seen this situation many times in the 1:1 world. So long as you allow some depth between the roof of the tunnel and the base of the foundations, as the other posters have said, you'll be fine. Most of Leeds station is built over a void - the Dark Arches - and nothing's fallen in yet! 

I think there was a case of someone's new building ending up in a tunnel but it was the exception that proved the rule. I don't have a photo as good as Boris' but have seen this situation many times in the 1:1 world. So long as you allow some depth between the roof of the tunnel and the base of the foundations, as the other posters have said, you'll be fine. Most of Leeds station is built over a void - the Dark Arches - and nothing's fallen in yet! 

There was a drill bit ended up in Moor Street tunnels not so very long ago.

I remember reading about building the Victoria Street Great Central Railway tunnel under Nottingham the contractors accidentally broke through into a pub cellar and duly drank all the beer !!!

Brit15

Many pubs don't have a cellar in the ...errrrmm .... cellar.

One of my favourite pubs (I used to clean it as well as drink there)was like this.The cellar was only 2 feet lower than the bar, and separated only by a wall and staircase/well.

Not a railway tunnel, but when the motorway tunnels on the M4 at Brynglas, Newport were being excavated during the 1960s, there was a partial collapse which caused several houses to fall down.

Someone alludes to the Tesco's tunnel failure at Gerrard's Cross; this was a case where an arch was built over a previously open bit of track. It failed when the infill was incorrectly distributed. 

I think you have answered your own question - the crown of the tunnel and the cellar of the pub would need to be separated.

If the tunnel was cut in rock then yes you might have buildings above the railway (Knaresbrough?). I cannot think of a rule of thumb to say how much rock there would need to be between the roof of the tunnel and building foundations - lets say more than the diameter of the tunnel.

If the tunnel was made in superficial materials (sands, gravels, clays etc) then it is likely that it would have been constructed in 'cut' and roofed over - frequently with a road.  I would doubt that there would be buildings above the tunnel in this latter situation.

You will need to visit some real locations or study some pictures.

Regards

Ray

Birmingham Snow Hill had a great big hotel over the southern end and entrance to the tunnel, still has buildings, an arcade of shops and many roads over it before the trains emerge at Moor Street...Regards Bob

I remember reading about building the Victoria Street Great Central Railway tunnel under Nottingham the contractors accidentally broke through into a pub cellar and duly drank all the beer !!!

Brit15

Possibly a cave rather than a cellar - the centre of Nottingham is riddled with caves, and a lot of buildings use them as cellars. You're more likely to unexpectedly come across one whilst tunnelling than a man made cellar. There's a tourist attraction in the Broadmarsh centre where you can visit some caves - the centre is built on the side of a cliff so the entrance is on the first floor.

Sadly my house doesn't have a cave underneath it, so no scope for building my own batcave.

• RMweb Premium

Baker_Street_tube_station_MMB_07.jpg

Erm - thats not a tunnel in the sense the original poster mentioned. It is a concrete raft placed over the tracks so that buildings may be constructed above - no different to what has occurred at London Liverpool Street, Charing Cross, Cannon Street, Victoria etc. Yes it looks like a Tunnel and operationally the railway may call it that but the methods used in its construction have very little in common with true 'bored' tunnels

True examples of Tunnels with buildings on top (as opposed to the railway being rafted over to support buildings) requires a reasonable amount of solid ground cover (i.e. rock) so as to support the foundations and distribute the load. If there is insufficient ground cover then buildings may not be constructed (though roads normally can). An example of this include the tunnel at Ryde on the Isel of Wight.

Archived