The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

String has wonderful advantages....No solder required,No burnt fingers,No shorts,no burnt out motors, Pah ! to DCC faff, all breakdowns cured with a quick knot And the price! Well 1p worth of string will buy you yards of the stuff, just pull and the trains GO

Hum think I had better go to bed and lie down.......night night

But............................is it 4mm FSOOBH string and do you need to plait it to ensure continuity?

Bittov Hemp

Edited by Mallard60022

But............................is it 4mm FSOOBH string and do you need to plait it to ensure continuity?

Bittov Hemp

Why does it have to be 4mm string ? The stu-delicious PSMR isn't.4mm or haven't you noticed that?

Anyway string comes in all sorts of scales,even big enough for those up in Bowes who model in 12" to the foot outdoors, but by then it's called rope!

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to think the PSMT is a little bit more sophisticated than string.

On reflection, other monorails seem to be covered by previous models or rtr sets, so will be left alone by me.

There are no plans, as yet, to include any sort of pointwork on the layout, despite their obvious simplicity. 

I would also like to thank everyone who suggested alternative methods of power delivery and operation at the Members day - all have been gratefully received and filed away....

Today may well see the purchase of some magnets for experimentation.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to think the PSMT is a little bit more sophisticated than string.

On reflection, other monorails seem to be covered by previous models or rtr sets, so will be left alone by me.

There are no plans, as yet, to include any sort of pointwork on the layout, despite their obvious simplicity. 

I would also like to thank everyone who suggested alternative methods of power delivery and operation at the Members day - all have been gratefully received and filed away....

Today may well see the purchase of some magnets for experimentation.

So which show will you be aiming for Stu - I know one or two folk who are on the lookout for 'interesting' layouts for shows ;)

1. The stu-delicious PSMR isn't.4mm or haven't you noticed that?  Anyway string comes in all sorts of scales,

2.  Even big enough for those up in Bowes who model in 12" to the foot outdoors, but by then it's called rope!

1. As it's Indian, surely the measurements will be based on Gaz,

and to help put off the rivet counters there were 3 basis for the Gaz

a) Shahi gaz = 101.6 cm; B) Shahijahani or Lashkari = 95.85 cm; c) Aleppo gaz = 67.73 cm,

so although the size of the model is a constant, the Gaz based scale is variable.

BTW > 2 Hath (1 Hath = elbow to the end of the middle finger, approximately x" )  = Gaz.

2. Do I need to venture into the Indian Rope trick,

Whoa, Hey Stubby there's another scenic item to be added.

A rotary motor under the baseboard turning at say 3 rpm,

the spiralled rope above a wicker pot gently turning with ........ :sungum:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

In fact the rope could be based on a course threaded revolving rod,

with a rope climber attached to a nut (just the one, not by his nuts)

and a discrete piece of wire to stop him going round with the rod..

Simples..  

post-6979-0-08141700-1461668639.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I has already been suggested that the elephant ought to be made to move, now an Indian rope trick... What's next, snake charmers, beds of nails, a row of British soldiers stood with kilts raised ?

Indian rope trick solution : 

post-7025-0-18746700-1461669033.gif

• Like 4

I has already been suggested that the elephant ought to be made to move, now an Indian rope trick... What's next, snake charmers, beds of nails, a row of British soldiers stood with kilts raised ?

attachicon.gifrope trick.gif

Return of The Living Lineside, by Dax?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifrope trick.gif

Aunties, got to have Aunties

I has already been suggested that the elephant ought to be made to move,.....a row of British soldiers stood with kilts raised ?

I believe I mentioned water coming from the trunk too.... :sarcastichand:

And (a fair few pages ago...) there was mention of dried Elephant? dung piles!.... An opportunity to generate your own fuel for the eventual live steam version of PSMT 

I recall that you dismissed the idea of a Marching soldier band, but I note that you might find favour with the Raised Kilt version.

Is the occupant of the house related to Sid James??  

• RMweb Premium

why not have Tipu's Tiger?

there I asked the question....

but shouldn't you have a moving Tiger? (animal not tank)

Baz

hat, coat, see you later!