The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

I had an oscillating ball clock once. Had it removed without anesthetic.

I'm really glad you are keeping going with this Stu as another pasty can be rustled up from somewhere.

Phil

Did it have a regular rhythm?

• RMweb Gold

Curious faults at the moment.

When I put the coach on the track, with magnets, I only expect the local section/s to be affected.

However, sections from over 6" away are also affected. Behind the coach, this is not a problem, but not helpful in front.

Plus, the SPDT switches seem to be either one pole, or both together.

Neither of these are helpful.

Where can those clocks be got from ? 

• RMweb Premium

I would check the orientation of the reeds, I found years back when I played about with them, that they all need to point the same way round to work effectively.

I suspect that your magnets may be a tad too powerful, see what the result is in taking out the middle two, or by just using the middle two (or even middle one).

Andy G

Stu,

sorry to read about your faults!

In post #53 above I wrote: "it appears to me to be very difficult to adjust the length of the magnet line to the distance of the reed sensors. Not the physical length, rather the range of its effect"

That's the reason why (in my experimental setup) I used a single magnet plus a relay – instead of a line of magnets.

Best wishes still

Armin

• RMweb Gold

Thanks gents.

During the Members Day, it was quite apparent that a single ring magnet was not able to hold two reeds over at the same time.

Experimenting today, even the single flat magnet seemed to have a too-wide range.

I do have some rod magnets, courtesy of Penlan, which will be trialled instead.

Also, I think the reeds I have in place do need to be reviewed and probably replaced as they are possibly laid incorrectly.

In the 'good news' column, the layout has been invited to another exhibition in November.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Watch out for Stubby's own aurora borealis.

There is an ointment you can get to sort that out.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents.

<snip>

In the 'good news' column, the layout has been invited to another exhibition in November.

Fantastic news, Stubby,

Where?

And will it be working?

Best Regards

Ian

To adjust the magnets a shim of thin mild steel can be added under the magnets, in two pieces and then adjusted to leave a gap through which the magnetic field operates. Or use a single neodymium magnet for a more concentrated field over the reed switches. The switches themselves can be adjusted by a shim over them, or biased with a small magnet to de-sensitise them.

Stephen.

On the Congreve clock, yes, they are commercially made, at a very high price, or are made by clockmaking enthusiasts to plans available from several sources.

The plain fact is that Congreve may have designed the clock, but almost certainly did not make one. They are notorious to get to run accurately at all, although the commercial ones do function quite well, as accurate CNC cutting is used for the rolling table.

The reason I know about them are the two in the workshop and house at the moment, both built from scratch, one works to about a minute a day, and the other design feels good at about a minute per hour!! They are difficult to regulate properly and temperature affects them badly.

The commercial ones are best in a glass case in a stable temperature to run accurately, and may approach about 5 to 7 seconds a day.

But it is not really about the accuracy, the movement is simply fascinating to watch in full action.

Stephen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news, Stubby,

Where?

And will it be working?

Best Regards

Ian

It's the Cornwall Model Railway Exhibition,  at Carn Brae Leisure Centre,  on Sunday 6th November.

And I certainly hope so !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's the Cornwall Model Railway Exhibition,  at Carn Brae Leisure Centre,  on Sunday 6th November.

Too far away for me I am afraid.

Best of luck and looking forward to the video

Regards

Ian

Too far for me too, besides, I think my passport might have expired.

Have a good one!

• RMweb Premium

When it rains

Who cares

I've a train upstairs

With a brake

Sort of thing

Which I make

With a string..

That's what I make when it's cold and wet

It's a good sort of brake

But it hasn't worked yet..

(After A A Milne)

I am the egg man.

(After J. Lennon).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just noticed you have announced the demise of this project in your signature, sneaky! Surely it deserves a fitting end if you really mean it.

Set on fire and floated down the Ganges perhaps? Edited by ian
  • Like 2