The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu getting back to the train

Found this link to some photos not sure if it's been posted before I've missed a few pages but shows some detail

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDBZCVT

https://flic.kr/p/dLPy8A

Hi Chris,

I had to wait till I got to work as the phone does not connect to flickr - great photos, I've not seen those before, especially the close-ups of the wheels & motion.

Many thanks

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Yep, both have been mentioned before, and put on the 'maybe' pile.

As several members have attested, the reed switch idea does 'work', in that the loco was seen to move under electrical power - I just need to refine the mechanics and magnetics to provide a smoother ride.

Once done, I can publish the 'standards', so maybe others can create their own version.....  ( Peco are more likely to create BH points, I know...)

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think not, as the moment of the train was very minimal and also extremely rapid.

However,  a serious dose of fettling this weekend will see a vast improvement, enough perhaps for the promised  video ( video ?? - digital recording).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think not, as the moment of the train was very minimal and also extremely rapid.

However,  a serious dose of fettling this weekend will see a vast improvement, enough perhaps for the promised  video ( video ?? - digital recording).

Should that not be 'vidjoe' as we say over this side of the Bristol Channel ?

Rob Bach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to ask Stu, did your situation at the weekend reach pasty prize status or am I having to wait a while before posting it (the pasty that is)?

Phil

There was also a chicken & ham pie status scenario as well last weekend. Also highly popular.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Stu

Just thinking again about ideas people have given you for future projects, I came across a type of "railway" last year that you might not have considered. It's a short set of rails in a nursery.

Two rails about 6ft apart with a single platform on wheels that pass each of the glass house doors in turn. On top of the platform is a set of rails at 90 degrees to its direction of travel. You can see halfway down the right hand side there are also rails at 90 degrees to the main set. The wagon moves past the glasshouses and are lined up with the "branch lines".

post-14192-0-10387800-1462337716_thumb.jpg

A wagon on the branchline will be loaded with crates, plants or other things, and is then rolled down the branchline over two bridging rails and onto the main wagon before being moved to a different part of the site.

post-14192-0-82707800-1462337717_thumb.jpg

Thinking about it this evening, the closest thing I to a real railway is a traverser.

It's not glamorous, but you have to admit, it's certainly unusual.

cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Following a few days not modelling ( playing with the new pressure washer, and a day out in Exeter), I have now remade the coach chassis:

post-7025-0-13867400-1462383284_thumb.jpg

The wheels are now N gauge ones, face to face to give enough tyre width for the rail head.

The outer ends of the spars are not fixed as this allows enough flex to spring the axles in and out.

Next will be a rack for the magnets and a coupling,, then a re-attachment of

the coach body

• Like 11