Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

There was an impressive but less well known signal gantry at Scarborough and here is Deltic 55013 The Black Watch waiting to leave in August 1981, the dying days of the Deltics. If I remember correctly 55009 was on a train from Filey that day and we passed her between Seamer and Malton. This was the only 55 I had to Scarborough   :senile:

17233709.2bac24d4.800.jpg

17233491.78e764c7.jpg
55013 at Scarborough par PinzaC55, on ipernity

PS also note that the platforms didn't have white edges ?
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks you, Mick. That has answered the question of where that signal gantry was, for I wasn't sure!

Indeed, thank you to everyone for your latest contributions. Please keep them coming. I especially like those two pics of 55 The Black Watch at Scarborough in august 1981.

I am currently delayed in Scarborough, and will later be posting a photo' of a signal box near to Gilberdyke.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that end of the platform, for many are like that even today, aren't they, or are they?

With regards,

Rob.

I doubt there are many (?any?) that narrow around nowadays (that one definitely isn't of course) as it is very seriously under minimum width.  If any that narrow still exist they should be barriered off to prevent them being used.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. It turns out that the delays to the trains today have been caused,apparently, by a lack of signalling at Driffield. The guard on the train I am still on was most apologetic. What a way to run a railway though!

With regards,

Rob.

Is that end of the platform, for many are like that even today, aren't they, or are they?

With regards,

Rob.

I looked on Google Earth and it shows the end of the platform at the same width as it was in 1981. Having said that it is clear that on GE the Falsgrave signal gantry is still in position whereas if you go into Streetview it has gone - in other words they have left the satellite image as it is but updated Streetview.

Here are a few shots I took in June 2011 of what is left of Holme-in-Spalding-Moor station.

I think this a milepost set in a concrete 'plinth' for some reason but at the wrong angle:

post-143-0-32582800-1446838696_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-63435200-1446838707_thumb.jpg

Remains of platform in surprisingly good condition considering:

post-143-0-59280900-1446838724_thumb.jpg

Remains of, I think, crossing gate(s)

post-143-0-64219500-1446838742_thumb.jpg

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 7

I doubt there are many (?any?) that narrow around nowadays (that one definitely isn't of course) as it is very seriously under minimum width.  If any that narrow still exist they should be barriered off to prevent them being used.

If you watch the Scarborough video linked to earlier, when the Class 40 pulls away there is a wooden fence at the end of the former Whitby branch platform (1a I think) and it is only about 8 inches from the side of the train - in other words if a door had been swinging open it would have wrecked either the fence or the door !

• RMweb Gold

Always has been so cramped at Scarborough station. It has been fitted into a very small area, for its size, and something has to "give" in those kind of circumstances. The width of the platform ends being one of those things at Scarborough.

With regards,

Rob.

Hi, everyone. Here is a photo' of Oxmardyke signal box. It is near to Gilberdyke. It was photographed in mid - March, of this year.

attachicon.gif100_6502 - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

Rob, a very nice picture. Oxmardyke is a replacement 'box of 1901, originally  38 levers + 2 Gate Wheels, of these levers, 18 worked signals, 6 worked points and 3 worked Facing Point Locks. It was reduced to a gatebox during the Great War, and was not reinstated as a Block Post until 24 November 1924, this only lasted a few years and by c1927, it was once more a Gatebox and remains so to this day.

I looked on Google Earth and it shows the end of the platform at the same width as it was in 1981. Having said that it is clear that on GE the Falsgrave signal gantry is still in position whereas if you go into Streetview it has gone - in other words they have left the satellite image as it is but updated Streetview.

Yes, they resignalled Scarborough and closed Falsgrave box several years ago now.  The gantry was restored and installed (shortened) at Grosmont.

post-4569-0-60670300-1446883608_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you, Boris. It's just nice to know the it was not scrapped.

With regards,

Rob.

No, thankfully not, it was subject to a bit of a saga having to be delisted and relisted again so it could be worked on and with the first contractor not doing the required work for whatever reason etc!  What was disappointing was that it still had the manufacturers plate on one side, until a newspaper report on the proposed works was published noting that it builders plate was quite rare and within 2 weeks some scumbag railwayana "collector" had filched it.

There was also a 3 doll bracket signal at Falsgrave which was actually more interesting than the big gantry since it was the last one of a patter reputedly made from reclaimed catenary supports from the NER Shildon - Newport electrified system which was abandoned in 1935. In 2003 I was a member of the Wensleydale Railway and tried, to no avail, to persuade them to get it to replace the missing one at Bedale. I believe the Stainmore Railway have it at Kirkby Stephen East now ?

In 1979 Ferriby station still had a splendid main station build. Note the "Tickets" sign !

17363853.5c0694a4.1024.jpg
Ferriby Station 1979 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

The shell of Ferriby signalbox awaiting demolition 20.12.1980

• Like 9

a newspaper report on the proposed works was published noting that it builders plate was quite rare and within 2 weeks some scumbag railwayana "collector" had filched it.

Not this plate?

post-508-0-59894300-1446906204.jpg

The Bassa's

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Rob, a very nice picture. Oxmardyke is a replacement 'box of 1901, originally  38 levers + 2 Gate Wheels, of these levers, 18 worked signals, 6 worked points and 3 worked Facing Point Locks. It was reduced to a gatebox during the Great War, and was not reinstated as a Block Post until 24 November 1924, this only lasted a few years and by c1927, it was once more a Gatebox and remains so to this day.

Does Oxmardyke still have manually operated level crossing barriers?  If so, there can't be many left - Rigton box (on the Harrogate line) was abolished a few years ago and its level crossing modernised.

Does Oxmardyke still have manually operated level crossing barriers?  If so, there can't be many left - Rigton box (on the Harrogate line) was abolished a few years ago and its level crossing modernised.

Yes, it has barriers worked by a Gate Wheel, an arrangement that goes back to early '60's, I have the exact date somewhere.