Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Yes, it has barriers worked by a Gate Wheel, an arrangement that goes back to early '60's, I have the exact date somewhere.

I remember that as late as 1979 Cave gate box still had its NER enamel plate painted over in black and white. I guess the plate has long since been snapped up by a collector ?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick. That is interesting, for I see that on the up side of the crossing, at that date, the number of tracks reduced from four to two. I am not sure when that section of the line was made four into four tracks. Have you got any information about that Mick?

With best regards,

Rob.

Thank you Mick. That is interesting, for I see that on the up side of the crossing, at that date, the number of tracks reduced from four to two. I am not sure when that section of the line was made four into four tracks. Have you got any information about that Mick?

With best regards,

Rob.

Rob, the lines were "Quadrupled" late 1903 early 1904, I will need to ferret out the exact facts. It is generally believed the line from Hessle Junction to Staddlethorpe Junction was "Quadrupled" in 1904, this is not so, portions were "Four Roads" as early as 1875.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for the information about the quadrupling of the Hessle Junction to Staddlethorpe Junction line. It is interesting that it was done in sections, and not all at once.

It has been a long time since those boxes at Springhead were closed. Time soon goes...

Tonight, I have chosen a photo' of Saltmarshe box and LC. I wonder what the history of this box is, for all signal boxes have such varied and interesting histories. I have come across little about this one.

post-22631-0-43492300-1446937527_thumb.jpg

With warm regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

Rob, I have looked up my Saltmarshe notes.

Original 'box opened c1875, and pressumably for the provision of Block Working. 10 levers 2 Spare, Saxby Rocker frame, relocked. Gate Wheel on frame.

Present 'box, 1905 M&H No16 App, 23w 7s. 1GW. Barriers installed 1972.

Lever frame now removed and provision of "NX" panel.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for finding that information about the box at Saltmarshe. It is very informative, and interesting.

Now tonight, something a bit different at Scarborough. It is 27th August, 2009. The Scarborough Spa Express is at Platform 1. It is to hauled by BR Britannia 4-6-2 number 70013 Oliver Cromwell. I hope that you will all find the following three photo's of interest.

post-22631-0-91196900-1447027881_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-87352700-1447027897_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-36102300-1447027912_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

P.S. There is now a gate where that bridge is, and photo's like these can no longer be taken...

• Like 5

On the first of my two trips to Hunmanby a DMU heads for Hull. I took some photos of loco hauled excursions at Hunmanby in 1979 and need to find them and scan them. I have a feeling they are not good quality though.

21767603.45582529.800.jpg

I used to own this NER enamel from the Hunmanby area but can't locate the crossing on Google Earth - can anyone help ?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi, PinzaC55. I have not heard of Farthing Lane crossing before. Is it, for example, Sands Lane crossing as once was, or one of the others, not that there are many others?

Feeling a bit baffled.

With best regards,

Rob.

Hi, PinzaC55. I have not heard of Farthing Lane crossing before. Is it, for example, Sands Lane crossing as once was, or one of the others, not that there are many others?

Feeling a bit baffled.

With best regards,

Rob.

It was a crossing near Hunmanby. Each crossing had its own name but I sold my collection of NER handbooks years ago and can't remember where this one was. IIRC when I bought it , it was painted over in BR black and white paint as at Thwaite Gates.

It was a crossing near Hunmanby. Each crossing had its own name but I sold my collection of NER handbooks years ago and can't remember where this one was. IIRC when I bought it , it was painted over in BR black and white paint as at Thwaite Gates.

Thwaite Gates is Cottingham Thwaite Street level crossing

Thwaite Gates is Cottingham Thwaite Street level crossing

Yes I posted my photo of it earlier in this thread. I mentioned it because several of the crossing cottages and gateboxes on this line retained their NER enamel plates painted over by British Rail in black and white paint.

PinzaC55

A Google search for "Farthing Lane Level Crossing" brings up an ABC Railway Guide reference to a public footpath crossing just to the North East of Driffield, on the line towards Nafferton. Maybe this is where your sign is from.

HTH

PinzaC55

A Google search for "Farthing Lane Level Crossing" brings up an ABC Railway Guide reference to a public footpath crossing just to the North East of Driffield, on the line towards Nafferton. Maybe this is where your sign is from.

HTH

Many NER lineside houses also had this style of name plate, it doesn't necessarily means its off a crossing cabin(box), it could just mean there are/were some railway houses nearby.

Edited by Boris

Many NER lineside houses also had this style of name plate, it doesn't necessarily means its off a crossing cabin(box), it could just mean there are/were some railway houses nearby.

Yes it may well have been from a cottage. From memory I think Haisthorpe crossing cottage still had its NER enamel plate and revolving board signal in the 1970s. On the M&DR , which had only one proper signalbox , Fimber Road and Wetwang Green Lane both had enamel plates on the cottages and the plates turned up in auction about 12 years ago.

P.S. There is now a gate where that bridge is, and photo's like these can no longer be taken...

So the punters from the Scarborough Flyer will no longer be able take photographs, poke their heads in the cab or just generally inspect their steed before departure. That's sillyness in extremis.

P

post-508-0-15479400-1447084882.jpg

• Like 6

Here's Howden signal box looking sorry for itself in 2011.

post-143-0-69346900-1447101078_thumb.jpg

As at 10 past 4 this afternoon it still hadn't fallen down although I doubt it will take much.

Anyone know what is going to happen to it? I did hear rumours of it being Listed and preserved but that was a while ago now.

steve

• Like 4

In recent months Network Rail have also installed fencing at Ferriby and Hessle stations at the end of the platforms to prevent access down the end ramps. I guess other stations are also affected.

It just seems a waste of time and money as the type of youth who would wander down can easily go round the edge or worse still jump on the track and go round!

Paul

Birdseye, I agree with you, but now, if any idiot climbs round the fence etc, it won't be Notwork Rails fault, in law, they have done a risk assessment, and carried out all reasonable precautions. Notwork Rail, are not in the least concerned about "Daft Lad", but  only their selves appearing in court.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. I do have a photo' of that gate on platform 1 at Scarborough, but am unable to get access to it just at the moment! The box at Howden was still there a couple of weeks ago when I went to York on the train.

Tonight we are having a short look at Filey station as it was in 2009. It certainly looks good with the roof completed and everything freshly painted.

post-22631-0-88877100-1447108317_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-30414000-1447108343_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 4