Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

I don't whether I have already posted this but it is taken from a contemporary BR NE staff magazine and shows a DMU at Bridlington in 1957. Would have been fantastic to have a run up the Malton & Driffield Railway ! Driver to the Guard at Driffield "Ayup lad , I've got t't board for Malton !"

21762589.13d7d395.500.jpg
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, many thanks to PinzaC55 for the photo' of a class 104 at Bridlington. It has not been posted in this thread before!

So tonight, there is a further DMU story. It concerns the trials of a 2-car 111 Metro Cammell unit. I think it was the one which had, I think, super-charged Rolls-Royce engines - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I remember seeing the unit pass Beverley Station LC, in about 1964, and it was pulling several freight wagons and vans. My parents were with me, and they thought it was just an ordinary train! I cannot blame them, for they would not have known any better!

Now, here are three photo's from the front of that DMU on Easter Saturday, 1987. We are passing Filey. The roof is still awaiting restoration, which was to come in the early '90's.

post-22631-0-63727100-1445909818_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-02482200-1445909835_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-27586000-1445909860_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Enjoying the pics. In summer there were so many long DMU combinations along the coast. 8 to 12 car formations at weekends. Bridlington used to be very busy on Saturday mornings right up to the mid 80's with all 8 (latterly 7) platforms in use between 10 and 12 o'clock and the station teeming with people. Loco hauled excursions added to the variety and on Sundays almost every available platform, siding and the goods yard were filled with stock ready for the big getaway between 5 and 7.  50 to 60 carriages (DMU or hauled) could be seen on a busy Sunday.

It was a triumph of organisation and a complete contrast to the winter months. The station was well staffed with many characters from the manager Mr Pearson and his secretary, the Supervisors, one very tall the other quite small,  the senior and leading railmen and shunter to the young lad who did all the lamps. Three worked in the booking office and rarely emerged. There was a driver and guards depot with three or four turns a day.  The drivers were all quite different, one an expert on flowers, another always very tanned, each with a distinct driving style and method of acceleration. And, of course,  there was the wonderful Harry Brown with his huge moustache and great sense of humour who was the driver on the train at Lockington. Sadly he do not live long after the crash due to his injuries. 

Some of the DMU variety can be seen in the recent cinerail DVD about the line. It has footage of Bempton and Flamborough stations. At Flamborough a DMU is filmed whilst a 37 thunders past on an excursion.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you SwissRailPassion for your recollections of Bridlington. They are very welcome and further add to the history of the line.

I remember the DMU's being so full that passengers had to to use first-class, as well as standing in the guards van and empty drivers cabs!

With regards,

Rob.

On my visit to Speeton in April 1978 the station was looking a tad neglected but otherwise good with old clock still on the wall.

17236989.08b2e4c3.800.jpg

I have looked on Google Earth and 37 years later it looks as though the station has fared pretty well although painted in an awful shade of salmon paint.

17236821.654b897a.800.jpg

Speeton signalbox was a neat looking building from around the early 1900s. Like most of them it has long since gone.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Thank you PinzaC55. Those are great photo's of Speeton from 1978.

Tonight I have three more photo's from the front of that class 101 DMU. They show Gristhorpe, a bridge after Gristhorpe, and Seamer West Junction, all on Easter Saturday, 1987.

This is Gristhorpe.

post-22631-0-07464600-1445990962_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-78399200-1445990998_thumb.jpg

Seamer West Junction:

post-22631-0-03921200-1445991014_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

Another one from this coming Saturday's "Magic Lantern Show", a D20 at York, date unkown, but certainly pre-war.

attachicon.gifD20 707.jpg

Mick,

Great picture! It doesn't get much more 'North Eastern' than that photo, with the classic NER 4-4-0 (D20) and that signal bridge at Holgate.

Regards

Mike

Hi. Thank you PinzaC55. Those are great photo's of Speeton from 1978.

Tonight I have three more photo's from the front of that class 101 DMU. They show Gristhorpe, a bridge after Gristhorpe, and Seamer West Junction, all on Easter Saturday, 1987.

Seamer West Junction:

attachicon.gifimg115 - Copy.jpg

With best regards,

Rob.

The two bracket signals in that photo are at Peak Rail now.

• Like 2

19 years after its 1959 closure Gristhorpe station was essentially intact except for lamps, nameboards and seats. I'd have loved to get a look inside the station building !

17236825.84b2f190.800.jpg

The stationmaster's house in a somewhat garish colour scheme and complete with an LNER cast iron seatback sign on the seat.

17236987.210e6d8c.800.jpg

The lovely old signalbox which seems a little over sized for the station. I think it still exists ?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi. More excellent photo's today, PinzaC55. The box at Gristhorpe is still in use as a Gate Box. Here is a not very good photo' of it taken from a train a couple of years ago.

post-22631-0-19008800-1446063374_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

I paid 2 visits to Cayton and on the second one in 1978 I was invited into the box where the bobby poured out his troubles "British Rail (he said) ordered several thousand tons of ballast for this line but it was sent straight to the ECML. So costs are loaded onto us falsely"

Cayton signalbox in August 1977. There must have been more idyllic places in the North East but not many.

21766901.6356feb5.800.jpg

looking south with the Down platform edge removed for whatever reason.

21766899.4970905a.800.jpg

The old wooden waiting room waiting for the ghostly passengers.

21766897.21d4625c.800.jpg

Just before I took this photo I obtained a beautiful pre grouping shot of the station from the NRM and decided to try again with my new Practika LTL-3. The station was absolutely perfect and looked like a stately home but since then the box has disappeared and the main building has undergone a tacky modernisation which has ruined it.

Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 10

I just noticed this old Hull - Bridlington season ticket on Ebay. Nothing outstanding except that it was issued to the well known railway author CT Goode !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAILWAY-TICKET-BTC-1962-MONTHLY-SEASON-HULL-PARAGON-BRIDLINGTON-/181909000229?hash=item2a5a9f1025:g:VBEAAOSwHnFV3B-m

Tony was at the time a teacher at Bridlington. He lived in Anlaby, and he didn't drive, Monday to Friday, must have been long days

Another unusual visitor to Hull, USA 0-6-0T. I look forward to meeting members who are able to attend this Saturday afternoon's slide show, "Engines seen in Hull, 1840 to Date". Venue Carnegie Centre, Anlaby Road corner of Walton Street Hull. Doors open 1330hr for 1400hrs, plenty of free parking. On behalf of the North Eastern Railway Association. Saturday 31 October 2015.

post-702-0-20008900-1446223179_thumb.jpg

• Like 4