Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Mick,

Is that a D17 on the train through Weaponess; not sure that it is?

Might I post another photo of a D17, this one at Botanic Gardens in September 1938. Not the railways of East Yorkshire but one of the locos based in East Yorkshire.

Regards

Mike

You most certainly can post anything about the railways of Hull on here!

The territory covered, I decided back at the beginning, is:

Hull to Selby,

Selby to York,

York, Malton, Scarborough,

Scarborough, Bridlington, and Hull(inclusive).

Hope this clarifies things a bit!

More of those excellent photo's please Mike.

With warm regards,

Rob.

In June 1979 I visited Bempton station. I have a feeling I visited it on an earlier occasion but seem to have no photos ! I remember on this occasion I went to Sunderland and asked for a return to Bempton whereupon the booking clerk, thinking I meant Benton on the North Tyne loop, said "It's closed" and I replied "No it isn't !" and showed her it on the BR map on the wall. So with some muttering I got an NCR ticket to Bempton. This photo is pretty poor but hey ho.

21757887.894694cf.800.jpg

The building had been somewhat spoiled by being rendered but still had nice proportions. Note the Humber Rail poster referred to earlier.

21757883.2826107c.800.jpg

Looking towards Scarborough with the LNER concrete plant pots prominent.

21757891.32d75367.800.jpg

Hull DMU leaving  

21757875.be4c6c7c.800.jpg

Derelict weighbridge in the former goods yard.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well, PinzaC555, those are real gems. Excellent photo's.

The platform was later lengthened, although I cannot remember when that lengthening took place. I am fairly sure that I recognise the driver of the 4-car class 104 DMU. (Funny thing you should post such a photo', for elsewhere on this forum, there is a question about when 4-car units became either 3 or 2-car units).

Now, of course, the level crossing is one of those AHB crossings. The lovely gates are long gone. Such is progress...

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

When I came back to this hobby about seven years ago, I set out to build a model of one of the places where I and many of my youthful mates spent many happy hours - Hessle Haven. Then (and I saw it from 1958 - 1964) it was an amazing place with a four track main line and the entries and exits to three of the four large marshalling yards which formed the Priory complex in Hull. Much of the inspiration and detail for this model was provided by photographs and information supplied by my old friend Mick Nicholson.

So here is one of those wonderful black and white photos which show this place when it was still extant in all of its glory; again one of Mick's photos. And I have built the signal bridge in the foreground and the gantry in the middle distance.

Now, of course, this place is but a shadow of how it was in this photograph but what a place it was and this is the next section to be built, almost all of what can be seen in this picture.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-73732300-1445717571_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

One more photo of this place with the 'staple diet' of the traffic through it - heavy freights. Again courtesy of Mick Nicholson whose amazing photographic archive serves to remind us of just how it was now more than half a century ago.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-51528000-1445718920_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I came across these while I was looking for something else this evening.

The Scarborough photo is one of Dad's taken when we were living in Harrogate so we'd probably had a day out in the car.

The more recent ones of  Bridlington are mine taken when I spent a week using a North East Rover ticket, the one of Beverley was taken when I had a short break nearby a few years ago.  Somewhere I probably have some more photos.

post-5613-0-79013600-1445718866_thumb.jpg

Scarborough Class 105 Scarborough to York Nov 67 J 1170

post-5613-0-21937400-1445718870_thumb.jpg

Bridlington 156483 Scarborough to Hull & 158763 Sheefield to Scarborough 22nd July 2000 C24935

post-5613-0-66164100-1445718873_thumb.jpg

Bridlington 156483 Scarborough to Hull 22nd July 2000 C24936

post-5613-0-89363000-1445718876_thumb.jpg

Bridlington156475 Hull to Scarborough 22nd July 2000 C24937

post-5613-0-73680100-1445718862_thumb.jpg

Beverley Class 158 to Scarborough 20th Oct 09 DSC_7355

Edited to remove a "?"

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. This is a most unexpected pleasure, and welcome to this thread.

Those photo's, are as always, such gems, and further help to fill gaps in the history of the Hull and Scarborough railway. That first photo' does indeed show two class 105 power trailer sets.

If you can find more photo's please feel free to post them here, they will be most welcome.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Well tonight it is another couple of photo's from the front of the class 101 DMU to Scarborough on Easter Saturday, 14th April, 1987. The first one is of Bempton (sheer coincidence!), and the second photo' shows the approach to Hunmanby.

post-22631-0-72991000-1445726564_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-70890000-1445726593_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Tonight, here's two photo's from 27th August, 1985. They show the unique SYPTE liveried (brown and cream) class 114 and also a class 108 leaving Beverley for Bridlington. This class 114 unit was rarely seen on this line, and I remember running to take these photo's, for it was most unlikely that an opportunity to photograph it would come along again. So it was, there was no further chances of taking it's photo' on the Hull to Scarborough line.

post-22631-0-75466800-1445819751_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-74661400-1445819772_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

Mick,

Another great photo, above. It's amazing how many North Eastern classes worked out their last days at Hull Dairycoates and not just post war but pre war also.

Hull must once have been a loco spotter's paradise!!

Regards

Mike

Sorry for the delay but rather struggled on the GCR coach issue.

Finally managed to find a rather obscure unpublished reference regarding LNER Push Pull services. Its an article that covers all the operating areas though my interest is Scotland.  

It mentions that in late 40's one of the ex GCR 12w 60ft composite saloons was rostered to work between Selby and Goole with LNER brake 3rd. If so it was a transfer in and likely either 51905 or 51906.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, everyone. Tonight, here's two photo's from 27th August, 1985. They show the unique SYPTE liveried (brown and cream) class 114 and also a class 108 leaving Beverley for Bridlington. This class 114 unit was rarely seen on this line, and I remember running to take these photo's, for it was most unlikely that an opportunity to photograph it would come along again. So it was, there was no further chances of taking it's photo' on the Hull to Scarborough line.

attachicon.gifimg052 - Copy.jpg

attachicon.gifimg052 - Copy - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob, thanks to yourself (and the other contributors) for the fascinating pictures in this thread.  Your pictures of the SYPTE liveried Class 114 it reminded me that I took a picture of the same unit in Cambridge, probably around the same time and probably on a GN & GE Joint Line working to Lincoln or Doncaster.  Slightly off topic I know, but just goes to show how widely travelled the first generation DMUs could be, although I suspect it was just as rare in Cambridge as it was in Beverley!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, 31A. I remember being most surprised at the appearance of the 114, and I was a bit breathless by the time I was in position to take those rather rushed photo's.

For it to appear on the GN &GE Joint will have been equally surprising!

I also remember seeing a 2-car Gloucester class 100 on a service to Bridlington about 1980! They were interesting times. Indeed very well travelled,as you said, going by the appearance of that class 100!

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before I really do forget myself,there was regular use made of one of the Gloucester class 122 driver training single car units. I remember one in green running along the embankment in Bridlington about 1972.Then and I have no idea if this would count as some kind of record,but I recall clearly, a 10-car class 114. It was, of course, five 2-car sets. The date was 26thJuly, 1987. Sadly I have no photo' of it.

The other remarkable unit seen at Beverley station, was a 12-car mixed formation, in 1969. It was coming from Bridlington, and had to draw up four times at Beverley!

It is not quite like that these days!

With regards,

Rob.

PS. I don't think I have overlooked anything else at the moment, but there will be a further DMU story tonight.

• Like 1

In August 1977 I got a bus to near Lowthorpe village and walked to the station in sizzling heat. I well remember that one of the cottages had a platform oil lamp from the station hanging outside. Closed for 7 years it was about as charming a rural station as you could hope to find.

21757867.30451ab5.800.jpg

On this day the Zenith-E was working well. The main building, with wooden extensions pulled down.

21757861.331ac713.800.jpg

A 6 car Met Camm DMU hurtles south, full of returning holidaymakers. There were few things more impressive than a long DMU with all the exhausts going.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you PinzaC55 for those photos of Lowthorpe. The DMU is a two car 101, and a quad 104. Pity it was not that twelve car set!

Lowthorpe was apparently haunted by black monks and grey ladies according to a signalman who worked there a year later in 1978.

One night, according to him, he could swear that he could feel a presence, other than him, in the box. He turned to look at the fire, and saw a grey lady. She was quite transparent, and immediately disappeared through one of the windows. He was petrified. He knew about nearby Harpham and the things that had happened there many centuries ago.

He requested an immediate transfer to another box, and refused to carry on working at Lowthorpe. His transfer was granted.

Other signalmen, apparently, also have reported some unearthly things going on in and around that box.

What can be made of all this is extremely difficult to say, but when I've been through on my bike I haven't really felt anything, nor seen anything.

With spooky regards,

From a dark room,

Rob.

Before I really do forget myself,there was regular use made of one of the Gloucester class 122 driver training single car units. I remember one in green running along the embankment in Bridlington about 1972.Then and I have no idea if this would count as some kind of record,but I recall clearly, a 10-car class 114. It was, of course, five 2-car sets. The date was 26thJuly, 1987. Sadly I have no photo' of it.

The other remarkable unit seen at Beverley station, was a 12-car mixed formation, in 1969. It was coming from Bridlington, and had to draw up four times at Beverley!

It is not quite like that these days!

With regards,

Rob.

PS. I don't think I have overlooked anything else at the moment, but there will be a further DMU story tonight.

The Gloucester would have been the York route learner, TDB975310. This was a regular visitor to the area in the spring when Leeds men would refresh the route.

Regards

Al Taylor.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimg052 - Copy.jpg

attachicon.gifimg052 - Copy - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

The Lincoln heavyweights were very frequent visitors to the area and the Brid line. It was a Lincoln heavyweight and a Cravens that was involved at Lockington.

regards

Al Taylor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Lincoln heavyweights were very frequent visitors to the area and the Brid line. It was a Lincoln heavyweight and a Cravens that was involved at Lockington.

regards

Al Taylor

Thank you Al. I think, if I remember correctly, that the Cravens DTSL was the leading car, and that questions were asked about having lightweight trailer cars leading on all  types of passenger trains.  The new Pacers were supposed to have been one of the answers - i.e. have all cars powered, and therefore heavier.

With regards,

Rob.