Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

18th July 1964 was another Dairycoates visit, with 26 steam & 14 diesel (mainly shunters) on shed.  That sounds quite a low number but checking back I see it was a Saturday so I expect a lot of the allocation would be out working.

As far as the steam was concerned there were only 4 different classes on view - Ivatt 2-6-0, B1, WD and B16.

There were 7 B16s which, from memory, were stored in a line in 7 section.  If I'd known then even a fraction of what I know now (ha!) I would have photographed them but  .  .  .  .

Being fair, though, I was a spotty youth, still at school, with little money, film & processing was expensive and I had photographed a few of them back in February.  How was I to know that spool of film would be irreparably damaged later that year?  Still, lots of other people would have taken much better pictures than mine could ever have been.

I did manage a few half-decent pictures, so here are a couple of WDs at the coaling tower.  First picture is 90265, second is 90351.

post-11812-0-21423700-1456274190_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-76317900-1456274207_thumb.jpg

Flying up to Glasgow later today with Mrs DS for a short break - what a coincidence that ModelRail Scotland is on this weekend  .  .  .  .   :)

She can do arty-farty things while I have a day at the show (I booked her on a Rennie Mackintosh guided tour as a surprise so that got me some brownie points!) & we can have a couple of days together "out & about" depending on the weather.

Will post the others from this visit early next week.

Take care.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Thank you Graham and Mick. Those are splendid photo's of WD's at Diarycoates and Hessle Haven. Thank you for posting them, and Graham, I look forward to seeing more of yours early next week.

With best regards,

Rob.

The photo of Esso B tanks at Hessle Haven reminds me to ask about what other rail tanks would be working to and from Saltend prior to 1963. I have a marvellous book on the history of that site, called "Molasses to Acid", part of my collection since the early nineties when Mike's Illustrated History of Hull's Railways convinced me my new loft layout must be based there! The Distillers Company Limited (DCL) is featured in the Saltend book but all I can see with a magnifier from a distant view of rail tanks on their site is 'No.203' on the end of the nearest one. A better rail picture is this one, captioned 'Shell-Mex 'B' site: incoming rail yards', and the presence of silver A tanks here surprised me.

post-14054-0-66514400-1456404492_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Some years ago I bought a cd of over 500 photos of early postwar Hull, and a handful have glimpses of railway  - this one actually features a K3 and is one of three showing this particular level crossing from different angles. No doubt someone will know exactly where in Hull it is!

post-14054-0-68568400-1456572310_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for your contributions. 

Tonight it is time to have a look a Cave box, near to Broomfleet. The photo's were taken earlier today. And, of course, this is one of the boxes that will go with the forthcoming modernisation of the signalling of the line between Hull and Selby.

post-22631-0-67176600-1456697120_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-88572000-1456697135_thumb.jpg

More tomorrow.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick for the information about when Cave, and also Broomfleet boxes were opened. Well tonight I have two photo's of Broomfleet box which I took on my bike ride yesterday. The LC end of the box seems to have some subsidence problems, unless I am looking at things wrongly. It does seem to be supported at that end of the box.

post-22631-0-94178000-1456784672_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-47372500-1456784688_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That is right, Steve. It is not a very happy looking box, and just look at the gap between the window on the non-railway side of the box and the door! More strapping may have to be added in due course.

Best regards,

Rob.

"Memories of Hull" is a nostalgic book full of photos showing life in Hull during the first two decades after WW2. Apart from some dock scenes, railways dont feature too much, but this charming picture links them with a local cinema and provided inspiration for redecorating a Classix NCB electric van!

post-14054-0-43588700-1456858874_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Safely back from the frozen north courtesy of Flybe, having spent an enjoyable day at Model Rail Scotland while Mrs DS found herself the only person booked onto her surprise Charles Rennie McKintosh tour at the Glasgow School of Art.  Well, you've got to pick up Brownie points wherever you can, haven't you?

Equally safely back from a trip over the border into Zummerzet this evening to see the Phil Beer Band in Taunton.  Another enjoyable time had by all, so a few more points in the bank!

Anyway, enough of the off-topic stuff ('cos most of you probably won't have heard of Phil Beer in any case!) and back to the Dairycoates visit on 18th July '64.

The loco classes I will always associate with Dairycoates were B1, Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 & WD 2-8-0, along with EE type 3 (later to become class 37) & various 0-6-0 diesel shunters.  Yes, I know there were many others, but over the short time that I made visits there, these were always the most numerous types.

This time I didn't photograph any of the EE3s and the couple of WD photos I took were in the last post.  Here are the other 3 types.

B1  61289

post-11812-0-61521400-1456964529_thumb.jpg

Ivatt 2-6-0 43077

post-11812-0-06999200-1456964539_thumb.jpg

D3675 with a rather nice view of the "stem" of a NER swan-neck water column

post-11812-0-62276400-1456964561_thumb.jpg

A glass of neck-oil beckons, followed by a    l - o - n - g    sleep if Network Rail allow  -  there's some overnight maintenance work going on in & around the remains of Seaton Junction, just a few hundred yards away, and they've apologised in advance for possible noise  .  .  .  .

Edited by devonseasider
  • Like 10