Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

The last super pic also shows how much the railway needed investment in 1953. It was a living museum.

Even the late fifties/early sixties and with the introduction of Mk 1 coaches, BR standards, diesel traction, etc. the railways were still operated largely as they had been since Victorian times.

But I'd venture to suggest that this wonderfully anachronistic environment was the reason why so very many of us loved the railways and why millions of us visit the heritage lines, every year.

The modern railway may be more efficient but it is soulless and austere with very little concession to the aesthetics of what it installs.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Hi Rob

Unfortunately i don't nor what the working was, if anyone out there might know I'd love to know.

Rob

It looks like the Carlisle, 628 appeared a couple of times at BG on this job in mid 86. The light looks about right for the Carlisle in May/June . Can you remember if it stopped at Hessle.

Al Taylor.

I will stand corrected, but my only recolection of the Carlisle train was two "Brush Type 2's".

Mick,

45s and 47s often turned up on the Carlisle. When it first started it was booked for a GD 47, it then became a 31 with 5 mk1s during the week, 31x2 and 10 mk1s, however it soon became obvious that the 3s could not always keep time so it became a 47 job when load 10 (11 on the outward trip from Hull to Leeds with the addition of the empty newspaper GUV).

Carlisle would often pinch the locos that went north in the morning a substitute something they wanted rid of, quite often a western 47 would turn and at least 5 shove duffs turned up.

Regards

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for all of your contributions recently. They have all been read with interest, and I think that they all make valuable contributions to this thread.

Tonight I have found a photo' of the remains of a level crossing gate at Winestead which I took in August, 2009. I haven't been along that road since, and that gate may well have gone by now. Maybe someone knows if it is still there or not.

post-22631-0-56059700-1461361742_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick. If correct, and I am sure it is, then it is sad that the last remnant of the crossing at Winestead has now gone. And thank you, as well, for posting the S&T note from 1993.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Wish I'd got to Springhead. About 20 miles from me as the crow flies, but as a 12 year old, it might as well have been 1000. And the Humber in between.

Wish I'd got to Springhead. About 20 miles from me as the crow flies, but as a 12 year old, it might as well have been 1000. And the Humber in between.

Jeff, a bit of earlier Springhrad activity for you.

post-702-0-93462700-1461494201_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

A quick post to say that this Sunday May 1st is the start of the 2016 operating season for the Yorkshire Wolds Railway at Fimber near Driffield. The site is open every Sunday and bank holiday until the end of October 11am -5pm with our locomotive giving cab rides 1pm until 5pm.

As well as the loco operating our mk1 BG coach will be open with displays showing the history of the Malton -Driffield railway and the work done so far by the YWR.

We are a small group and on site facilities are basic but everyone will be made very welcome and there's always a good cup of tea to be had.

Rob

post-20087-0-40716900-1461698818_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-50287000-1461698831_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-79198700-1461698845_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-35737700-1461698861_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I would love to see this project suceed . I used to pass over the adjacent road about twice a week in the early 90s and it took me a while to realise where the railway used to be.

Its a very ambitious project, there is actually more remaining trackbed on the Rosedale branch, but it would be great to see Driffield to Fimber ,or even better further on through Burdale tunnel. That would be the longest by far in presavation

Hi Russ

Burdale tunnel has collapsed in 3 places so unfortunately that's a no go, it would also involve making 2 level crossings over B roads to get there and that is a lot of planning and money.

Our aim in the short term is to get track laid to Green Lane crossing towards Wetwang which will give us a mile of running line.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Wetwang would be nice as one of the best fish and chip shops in the world is there!

Is Burdale actually passable now? Believe it or not this has actually changed over the years as there is a massive void in places over the brick lining.

I know it would be nice but I suppose it would be a bit of a lottery regarding safety. Mind it managed about seventy years of safe running.

Hi Russ

Yes the chippy in Wetwang is well recommended has provided dinner several times while at Fimber working.

I believe Burdale tunnel is still passable but with difficulty, the British Bat Society has access into it twice a year to monitor the local bat population and a few of our members joined so they could have a look in.

Getting to Wetwang station is the ultimate aim of the YWR which should give us around 3 miles of track but that's a long way off yet.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Firstly I wish to thank you Rob and Russ for the information about the YWR. I will be going a little later this year. It is a fabulous project, which deserves to succeed.

Tonight I have a photo' of Beverley station from 25th June, 1976. It shows one of the 'turn around' services from Hull that terminated at Beverley, before going back to Hull. It is a 3-car class 101 DMU, unrefurbished condition.

post-22631-0-76748400-1461965413.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7