Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Hopefully they are and are installed at another station on the line at some point in the future.

I think that would be unlikely as the NYMR stations all had the NER style square lamp, or the cast ones bracketed off the walls at Pickering.

I remember them although they didn't have the overhead power feed at Levisham

Indeed, they were fed either up the back of the post or up the inside of the post.  I always liked them, I felt they looked better than the standard square lamps even though they were wrong for the station, it was the shape of them that was unusual.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few years later and a EE Type 1 heads back to Priory Yards with an evening trip working. For those who know the area, the bridge is over the filled in Cottingham drain, houses in the background on Ella Street.post-79-0-50698500-1457881236.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mick. Thank you for all of the photo's you have been posting. They are all very enjoyable and there is much which can be learned from them. Please keep them coming.

I see in that photo' of the WD at Little Weighton, that it is one which had been fitted with the NE type of firebox - the joggled handrail is the big identifying feature.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Superb photo that Dave, the location is a 10 minute walk from me, the foot bridge your dad took the photo from is still there as is the row of cottages behind the train, however everything to the right of it is now the main A63 duel carriage way.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thank you for posting that lovely photo' over here on this thread. It is one which I really like from the photo's you posted earlier this evening on your photo' thread.

It is such a classic shot of a WD, and at Hessle which, for those new to the area, is on the line from Hull to Selby.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Classic Hull traffic flow in Dave's photo, empty 241/2 ton hoppers en route from Earles Cement at Wilmington back to Hessle Quarry.

Ran every day year in year out, but we never gave it a second glance, for ever greatful for photos like this one.

Fantastic picture of Hessle Haven, at the time I worked at Mr Duggleby's shop, directly opposite Botanic crossing, and almost certainly, I would have watched the same train pass. Little did I know then, that seventeen years later, I would be the signalman, who worked the last ever shift at 'Haven.

• Like 2

Superb photo that Dave, the location is a 10 minute walk from me, the foot bridge your dad took the photo from is still there as is the row of cottages behind the train, however everything to the right of it is now the main A63 duel carriage way.

Rob

Well almost. The footbridge is a relatively recent structure, occupying approximately the same location as an earlier road bridge which was one of the standard North Eastern plate girder bridges. The 1966 photo of the Austerity, which is simply wonderful, was taken from the old road bridge which stood there. Myself and many of my youthful mates spent many many hours at this same place between 1958 and 1963.

This photo, albeit of a model of a North Eastern plate girder bridge, might show what once stood there for it is a model of exactly this location - Hessle Haven - though set in 1950 and showing the other side of the bridge. And the view shown in that 1966 photo is now the subject of the next section of the railway to be constructed, though again as it was in 1950 with the gas works siding, McKenzie & Holland signal gantries and bridges, NER slotted posts and lower quadrants et al.

Apologies for the subject not being the real thing.

Regards

Mike

post-3150-0-36920400-1458224089_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 9