RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

The light grey was a post war livery (clearly, as it was applied to the Austeritirs). I don't know how widely applied it was, most of the locos I recall were either black or a very dark grey.

Here's one of the preserved Hudswell Clarke long tanks wearing the light grey

http://madannie.smugmug.com/Trains/Middleton-Railway/i-6TMKv8F

Now I managed to go into Melbourne city Australia today, I dropped into what are almost the last 2 shops left. One had had the Peckett in the last week and the comment was "we could have sold a heap and their allocation had been cut". I then dropped into the other who told me that they had not received any. They were also not impressed that I had told them that some retailers had received some!

So I would suggest that every one may be disappointed that the allocations may be cut to spread the stock further! I have not checked the other 2 shops that are relatively close to see if they had any stock. So yes some made it to Australia but not in large volumes!

Edited by DougN

If I ordered mine correctly should be with me tomorrow. According to a email I have just received. Either that or I'm getting a surprise! :-)

What version and where did you order it from? I have just phoned the shop where my Dodo is ordered and have just been told that they were told by Hornby, only yesterday, that they wouldn't be delivered until some unspecified date in January.

It puzzles me how every year there are models supposedly being released in time for Christmas which are down to the wires or even miss Christmas all together. Do manufacturers get caught unawares by Christmas? Does it creep up on them deceitfully hiding until it's too late to plan getting a product to this country in time to sell it to people who want it for Christmas presents? This isn't the first time; I remember the farce that was the release of the Bachmann class 37 where it to all intents and purposes missed Christmas, turning up only on Christmas eve long after sane people buying Christmas presents made other arrangements.

• RMweb Premium

It puzzles me how every year there are models supposedly being released in time for Christmas which are down to the wires or even miss Christmas all together. Do manufacturers get caught unawares by Christmas? Does it creep up on them deceitfully hiding until it's too late to plan getting a product to this country in time to sell it to people who want it for Christmas presents? This isn't the first time; I remember the farce that was the release of the Bachmann class 37 where it to all intents and purposes missed Christmas, turning up only on Christmas eve long after sane people buying Christmas presents made other arrangements.

You can bet your last penny that Hornby / Bachmann, etc., planned to have the models in question available well in time for Christmas - they'd have to be mad / suicidal not to have done so.

That said, if the product is made in China, then it is delivered to a timetable dictated by the Chinese - and there's little that Hornby / Bachmann, etc. can do about it.

We now learn that delivery programmes are not even within the control of the Chinese factory managers - if most of your workforce decides to depart early on the annual mass migration that is the Chinese New Year, there's little that can be done. In an ecomomy where demand for skilled labour exceeds supply, the factories cannot even be certain that their workforce will return in its entirity after the holiday.

We surely all know this by now, so why does the late delivery of products exercise us so? Rather, let's chill out, enjoy Christmas / New Year, and look forward to the arrival of our belated goodies to brighten the anti-claimax that is the early months of the New Year.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

... turning up only on Christmas eve long after sane people buying Christmas presents made other arrangements.

Forgive me, but I think you have that wrong. Surely no sane person does any Christmas shopping until Christmas Eve? Isn't that what Christmas Eve is for?    :)

Paul

We surely all know this by now, so why does the late delivery of products exercise us so?

Maybe wishful thinking, in that all that exercise will burn off those additional Christmas calories?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

ad infinitum  (or ad nauseam if you prefer).

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Well I never

When it comes to haulage, this little Peckett takes the biscuit, and the dinner table too !!!

I think today I am looking at model of the year, but that's a tough collection to pick from given this years releases, but for looks, weight, pickups & haulage this is a good one.

I reckon it might take 9, but after that it's a struggle.. but hey 8 is easy !

Found it stops on a double slip at slow speed but it takes my insulfrogs just fine.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it wouldn't be out of place on a Mountain Railway :)

It's climbing 25cm / 10inch climb in 180cm / 6ft .. the domain of diesels and European stuff only.

The peckett took 2 from a standing start... by comparison most Hornby / Bachmann steam locos of any size (A1/Brit/Jubilee/Black5 etc can take 3 max 4, Brawa pt31 2-8-2 will take 8 though ;-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

It's climbing 25cm / 10inch climb in 180cm / 6ft .. the domain of diesels and European stuff only.

The peckett took 2 from a standing start... by comparison most Hornby / Bachmann steam locos of any size (A1/Brit/Jubilee/Black5 etc can take 3 max 4).

Has it been tested for performance or recreational drugs? :jester:  :jester:  

I get the impression that a small number of H&P unexpectedly arrived in the shipment of B12s so Hornby have used them to fulfil some of their own pre-orders.

Up until last night on Hornby's website all 3 Pecketts were showing Pre-Order and an expected date of 16/12/16 (i.e. today). Today they are still showing as Pre-Order but with no date. So either they have arrived and are just about to be unpacked and shipping started, or the container hasn't arrived and thus Hornby now have no idea where it is or when it will arrive. Only time will tell..

Edit 16:21 - According to today's published Engine Shed, the Pecketts have arrived.

Edited by NickC

Today's entry in Hornby's Engine Shed blog has a section headed, "The B12 and Pecketts have arrived!" that goes on to say, "the much loved Pecketts have just arrived in time for Christmas." Which suggests all have arrived. They only have a photo of the H&P one though.

Edited by Orange Cat