Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

A couple of pictures of a Huntley and Palmers Peckett on Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout on the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage. The locomotive ran well and took 5 maroon coaches in its stride. It did not like our insulfrog points. The minimum radius on our layout is 2' 6" but I wonder if it will take first radius curves. Perhaps someone will make some Huntley and Palmers biscuit vans to go with it.

post-17621-0-22506900-1484297768_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-91198400-1484297827_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I hear that the level of pre orders for the next release, Lilleshall Co No 10 in black is extremely high as I suspect that lots of people want a plain black one to re do In lots of different liveries. So I would suggest that anyone thinking about getting one should pre order one now. I don't know but perhaps Hornby set the number of models to be produced by the level of pre orders?

I took my Manchester Ship Canal version to my local S4 meeting last night and the response was generally " bloody hell thats good". If Hornbys new Duchess due later this year is of similar quality it will be outstanding.

As mentioned before perhaps the sales success of the W4 will encourage the manufacture of other common industrials.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's what happens when manufacturers don't supply review samples. I received my Peckett in the post on December 23 (from a retailer) by which time we'd already closed for the Christmas break and the February-dated issue was with the printer. (CJL)

But from Hornbys point of view they've sold them all anyway, so what value would they have had supplying models to magazines. I still subscribe to the view that magazines need reviews to sell copies more than Hornby does to sell models.

While it won't get around timing issue if magazines really need locos to review I don't see why they can't buy them as normal then sell them on second hand through a model shop they have an arrangement with. In that way the cost of the models would not be horrendous. In the case of the Peckett you might actually make money as it's appreciating in value!

In my case it was S&DJR88s review on here, which he posted very quickly, that made me want the Huntley and Palmers blue version. Again information on here said that Hereford Model Centre had them in stock. So really it's showing that in the days of limited production runs etc you have to be fast. This is where the internet and forums such as RMWeb and the wider community in YouTube come into there own. Because of these circumstances , low production runs, sell outs etc, I do wonder if the days of the mag review are over.

It's still a beautiful little model. I think it's the most joy of ownership I've got from a model in some time. Just love seeing it trundling round the freight sidings at low speed. This has got to be model of the year and Hornby manufacturer of the year

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hear that the level of pre orders for the next release, Lilleshall Co No 10 in black is extremely high as I suspect that lots of people want a plain black one to re do In lots of different liveries. So I would suggest that anyone thinking about getting one should pre order one now. I don't know but perhaps Hornby set the number of models to be produced by the level of pre orders?

I took my Manchester Ship Canal version to my local S4 meeting last night and the response was generally " bloody hell thats good". If Hornbys new Duchess due later this year is of similar quality it will be outstanding.

As mentioned before perhaps the sales success of the W4 will encourage the manufacture of other common industrials.I

David

To give credit where it is due, I would think Hornby's decision to make the Peckett owed much to the popularity of the Sentinel diesel. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps someone will make some Huntley and Palmers biscuit vans to go with it.

These would be a work of fiction - though that hasn't stopped Hornby before. Coal into the factory in Huntley & Palmers PO wagons, yes, but biscuits out in railway company vans - see the Spillers v Great Western saga.

[Edited for link to Spillers case]

Edited by Compound2632

A couple of pictures of a Huntley and Palmers Peckett on Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout on the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage. The locomotive ran well and took 5 maroon coaches in its stride. It did not like our insulfrog points. The minimum radius on our layout is 2' 6" but I wonder if it will take first radius curves. Perhaps someone will make some Huntley and Palmers biscuit vans to go with it.

With respect to the points, we tested one on out test circuit at club, which has both Peco Setrack and newish Hornby points and absolutely no problem. Problems people have are usually down to something wrong on their layouts. All too often this mis-information is passed on and people therefore opt for somethingwhich causes them even more ptroblems. I can also see no reason why 1st radius would be a problem, and again there are often more problems caused by poor fixing down of track.

I could have pre-ordered one , but chose no to as I would prefer to wait  to see if there are any technical problems and at the moment I am not needing such a loco. It makes good business sence to get a new model out for Christmas, but it does no good for the hobby long term if all it does is feed the collectors not the modellers, so hopefully more of these same models will be released, ie a second batch. They are not advertised as limited editions and any business depending on collectors will soon hit the buffers, as happened with some of the road vehicle manufacturers. Anyone buying at inflated prices will not be happy when more models are released. Even if there is no second batch, the desire for these models will reduce with  more liveries being produced, so impactin on collectability.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Insulfrog points are inherently unsuited to locos as short as this - if you want to run 0-4-0s regularly, you need to get rid of them.

As for 1st Radius curves, I'd be very surprised if a loco with a 22mm wheelbase would have any trouble at all getting round them!

Huntley and Palmers didn't have their own vans - they used railway company ones.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

That didn't stop Mainline making some, though!

They didn't, Airfix did (cat no 54313 made 1980-81) . It was one a of batch  of PO vans they did that were primarily made up ones rather than authentic and were resprays done in the Charlton factory of BR Bauxite ones http://www.hattons.co.uk/144626/Airfix_GMR_Great_Model_Railways_54313_LN_02_BR_12T_Single_Vent_Van_Huntley_Palmer_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by Butler Henderson

I knew it was inauthentic. I'm pretty sure the one I have (which I will get back from Reading Museum on Monday) was in a Mainline box, but as I bought it secondhand, maybe the previous owner swapped the boxes. Or maybe Mainline carried on selling them after they bought out Airfix.

<abuse>I am amazed at the number of people who cannot spell things even when they are written down in front of them. Not just Peckett, but Kadee is another one that springs to mind.</abuse>There. That's got that off my chest. As you will see, it is not directed at you. Congratulations on getting hold of one. Enjoy it.

For anyone who can be bothered to search there's another one hiding away out there.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of foresight?

My (fictitious) H&P van came from the hand of the late Michael Martin, founder of West Wales Wagons, a few years ago at an exhibition.  I was hoping to represent some of the factories along the GWR as an alternative to modelling any of the factories.  Maybe I should have bought more although I have a feeling there might have been just the one and, at the time, I only had one in mind.  Still, one (make believe) van and a Toad will be sufficient for my purposes! 

A bit of foresight?

My (fictitious) H&P van came from the hand of the late Michael Martin, founder of West Wales Wagons, a few years ago at an exhibition.  I was hoping to represent some of the factories along the GWR as an alternative to modelling any of the factories.  Maybe I should have bought more although I have a feeling there might have been just the one and, at the time, I only had one in mind.  Still, one (make believe) van and a Toad will be sufficient for my purposes! 

I didn't think he'd done a van. I know he did some open wagons a few years ago which were probably semi-authentic in that H&P did have open wagons but not necessarily to the exact same design - though the livery would have been correct. I've got most of the wagons he did for Thames Valley industries apart from that one! (I also scanned a number of them in and made them available for Microsoft Train Simulator/Open Rails via UKTrainSim.com ).

• Like 1

RJS1977, it could well be a wagon, then.  I'll have to dig it out and have a look!  Funny how questionalbe the memory is...

There is the old airfix/Gmr van in green and Michael Martin reproduced it in weathered and non weathered strangely unable find a decent picture on the web of either. He also produced some plank wagons in both oo, o and N gauge

post-269-0-51897500-1484393431.jpeg

post-269-0-26962800-1484393446.jpeg

• Like 1

But from Hornbys point of view they've sold them all anyway, so what value would they have had supplying models to magazines. I still subscribe to the view that magazines need reviews to sell copies more than Hornby does to sell models.

While it won't get around timing issue if magazines really need locos to review I don't see why they can't buy them as normal then sell them on second hand through a model shop they have an arrangement with. In that way the cost of the models would not be horrendous. In the case of the Peckett you might actually make money as it's appreciating in value!

That, alas, is the blinkered attitude which almost drove Hornby to the wall.

Most magazines and not just railway modelling ones make their money from advertising rather than sales.

I don't know what the current advertising rates are but I do know that as the list price of the Peckett is/was a penny shy of £80,[and worth every penny spent says I], although quite clearly the wholesale cost is rather less. Stick with the £80 though. Hornby Magazine reviewed the Peckett in the January issue, which came out in December just ahead of the retail release and removed any last lingering doubt that skint or not I wanted to pick one up - and did.

That review featured both Dodo and MSC 11; two locos = £160 retail cost. The review filled four pages and then there were another four pages covering the history, making eight in all. Is there any way that you can get a whole eight full pages of advertising space for £160? Add to which of course there's the quality of the advertising. In the same issue, for example, Bachmann had a full page advert for the Wickham trolley. The advert was a perfectly good one which did what it was supposed to; it featured good quality photies of the product and alerted potential customers to the two different liveries, and no doubt if there were other variations it would have done that too, but compare and contrast that single page with the 4-8 pages of in-depth coverage of the Peckett. I don't know the source of the two Pecketts reviewed but for £160 it was an absolute bargain in terms of product exposure.

Edited by Caledonian

• RMweb Premium

There is the old airfix/Gmr van in green and Michael Martin reproduced it in weathered and non weathered strangely unable find a decent picture on the web of either. He also produced some plank wagons in both oo, o and N gauge

See my previous posts on Huntley & Palmers wagons way back in this thread... Despite what it says on the box, the Dapol wagon is not "authentic" - it does not resemble any real Huntley & Palmers wagon (or any real wagon for that matter) - neither the Gloucester 6-plank 10T wagon No. 21 nor the real Huntley & Palmers No. 3 which was a 4-plank dumb-buffered wagon - with the lettering arranged differently too.

My real point here is as modellers we are very alert to the slightest inaccuracy in locomotives but seem to have a blind spot when it comes to goods wagons: here we've a beautiful representation of one of Huntley & Palmers' Pecketts but folk seem happy to contemplate putting it alongside these 1980s toys. But chacun a son gout. Also, I suppose I'm painting myself into a corner - but I have plans for some authentic H&P wagons.