Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

I'd say that they're probably kicking themselves for choosing the Wickham Trolley instead of a wee Barclay. The Wickham may have a certain novelty value if you're that way inclined but unlike a Peckett or a Barclay it could never be described as a really useful engine.

I applaud them for having a  go at the Wickham, and getting a seemingly excellent result but I do wonder if many other folk think like me and would be happy to have one sat at the lineside as part of the scenery rather than have one whizzing around mixing it with the trains?

I doubt however they're kicking themselves for doing the Wickham instead of an industrial because they've cornered the market with it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'd say that they're probably kicking themselves for choosing the Wickham Trolley instead of a wee Barclay. The Wickham may have a certain novelty value if you're that way inclined but unlike a Peckett or a Barclay it could never be described as a really useful engine.

Unless Oxford / Heljan pull a rabbit from the hat, my guess is the Peckett is our only new industrial available in the next 2 years, even then it's only the [oops] Avonside [\end oops] Hudswell Clarke from DJ may join it... and J94s.

Edited by adb968008

Can;t see an Avonside reference, has it been announced in O gauge perhaps, or mistaken for the Hudswell Clarke 060, already done in O gauge, and I assume the DJ 00 Hudswell Clarke will be the same type model as the O gauge version, as there is no picture currently on the DJ website.

Stephen

I applaud them for having a  go at the Wickham, and getting a seemingly excellent result but I do wonder if many other folk think like me and would be happy to have one sat at the lineside as part of the scenery rather than have one whizzing around mixing it with the trains?

I doubt however they're kicking themselves for doing the Wickham instead of an industrial because they've cornered the market with it.

Yes, but the problem there is the market. As I said if you fancy having a Wickham whether sitting quietly or playing chicken with the big boys then Bachmann have made a sale. On the other hand, having had the nous to use my pass and nip down to York I'm in possession of a Peckett and still looking around hopefully for a couple more. If someone produces an equally decent Barclay I'll have at least a couple of them too. Simply put, the Peckett came out just before Christmas and to all intents and purposes has completely sold out by the first week in January.

The Wickham...?

• Like 2

Here's a wild thought. What if Bachmann agents are watching this thread and decided that they too should build an industrial? How cool would that be??

Cheers,

David

On current form, they'll only do one if it can be done in a NSE livery....

• RMweb Gold

I'd also say that butchering a Peckett in order to bodge up this particular sow's ear is the sort of thing that gets you crucified on barn doors. :butcher:

The Chief Inquisitor for the RSPP does read this thread - so I've been reliably informed.

Please don't give him ideas like that  :jester:  :jester:

I'm quite sure all suppliers read these threads, and no doubt the threads of their competitors. Its essentially free market research.

They'll take it all with several pinches of salt if they have any sense though.

Paul A, 

I think you're right, I saw this when I went past Margate the other day............

post-7393-0-92214800-1483953075.jpg

It is only my opinion, but Hornby in the situation they are in, they dearly need sales and look what has happened, a sell out that has left customers and above all, small model shops without supplies for a year.

It does not help the hobby to have this Glut and Famine sales technique ...

The first paragraph I can agree with but I cannot see how anybody could have foreseen the runaway demand there has been for the Pecketts. I've bought two of them myself!

The second paragraph I think is wrong, I don't think there is a Glut and Famine sales technique but as I said in my first sentence, I cannot see how anybody could have foreseen the runaway demand for this model.

The Chief Inquisitor for the RSPP does read this thread - so I've been reliably informed.

Please don't give him ideas like that  :jester:  :jester:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, at least it'll reduce the demand slightly and give those of us who prefer to stick with the original (plus a little industrial weathering, perhaps) a chance to secure the models we require!

:triniti:

The first paragraph I can agree with but I cannot see how anybody could have foreseen the runaway demand there has been for the Pecketts. I've bought two of them myself!

The second paragraph I think is wrong, I don't think there is a Glut and Famine sales technique but as I said in my first sentence, I cannot see how anybody could have foreseen the runaway demand for this model.

AAAAh! The power of the internet?

Perhaps this particular thread, on this particular forum, had an awful lot to do with the sales success?  :)

• RMweb Gold

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, at least it'll reduce the demand slightly and give those of us who prefer to stick with the original (plus a little industrial weathering, perhaps) a chance to secure the models we require!

:triniti:

The latest information I have, is he was having issues with Rats in the hot tin method (he'd been watching that episode of Game of Thrones again) and had to abandon it - due to one of his underlings assuming he meant Class 24's....

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

It's difficult to gauge demand, perhaps, but with the benefit of hindsight, at least, some of us aren't that surprised at how high the demand for these locos has been, when you consider that some of us have been saying for a while that there is a large, latent demand for a good RTR industrial steam loco:

- Large potential for many different liveries - so appeals to collectors

- Industrial premises on a layout are ideal material for a freelance or semi-freelance approach, thus 'releasing' the modeller and layout builder from the rather more onerous task of getting the prototype details right with regards to 'Big 4 or B.R. practice'. A case of Hornby 'creating it's own demand' for the product, eg. 'I never considered having an industrial-based layout before, but now I'm going to build something to run my Peckett on'

- Very good quality model with lots of detail

- W4 is a good choice for a first steam industrial - small enough to go almost anywhere and quite a few examples produced in real life

- The model looks absolutely gorgeous

- Most people report that they run very well

- Very good price for the quality that you're getting

- Very good early internet reviews/feedback have led to others buying them

- Early internet reports of shops running out have probably led to more people getting one 'sooner rather than later'

• Like 1

It's difficult to gauge demand, perhaps, but with the benefit of hindsight, at least, some of us aren't that surprised at how high the demand for these locos has been, when you consider that some of us have been saying for a while that there is a large, latent demand for a good RTR industrial steam loco:

- Large potential for many different liveries - so appeals to collectors

- Industrial premises on a layout are ideal material for a freelance or semi-freelance approach, thus 'releasing' the modeller and layout builder from the rather more onerous task of getting the prototype details right with regards to 'Big 4 or B.R. practice'. A case of Hornby 'creating it's own demand' for the product, eg. 'I never considered having an industrial-based layout before, but now I'm going to build something to run my Peckett on'

- Very good quality model with lots of detail

- W4 is a good choice for a first steam industrial - small enough to go almost anywhere and quite a few examples produced in real life

- The model looks absolutely gorgeous

- Most people report that they run very well

- Very good price for the quality that you're getting

- Very good early internet reviews/feedback have led to others buying them

- Early internet reports of shops running out have probably led to more people getting one 'sooner rather than later'

Again, very true. I've been planning a shunting layout for sometime (4' x 3', so it will fit on the dining room table), I've done the baseboards out of foamboard (my back won't handle weighty wood), the Templot(gnash, gnash) and some C&L trackwork and was intending to run shunting diesels because they're small. Then the W4s come along.

The rest is in the future!

• RMweb Gold

Unless Oxford / Heljan pull a rabbit from the hat, my guess is the Peckett is our only new industrial available in the next 2 years, even then it's only the [oops] Avonside [\end oops] Hudswell Clarke from DJ may join it... and J94s.

Oops yes Hudswell Clarke, my mistake I blame the book of the MSC, it has lots of hudswell Clarke in it... but they don't look like the DJ one ! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Arrived home today to my second peckett... thrown over the gate by My Hermes!

Box damaged and loco damaged, Thanks guys!

Make sure you put a claim in against My Hermes. It happened to me once with a Rebuilt Patriot that was destroyed by one of their couriers.

An extended running session with all three Pecketts moving a very long train of Bachmann 16 ton mineral wagons. These diminutive locomotives handle these with total ease; just two were actually enough to move this long train without slipping and a single Peckett can handle 30 on its own.

• Like 9

Arrived home today to my second peckett... thrown over the gate by My Hermes!

Box damaged and loco damaged, Thanks guys!

Yes, short of Yodel, Hermes are the most appalling failures in home deliveries.  The real problem is, of course, that the benighted drivers have schedules to meet, and have to take short cuts to enable them to meet their times.  Often 1 minute per delivery 'slot'.  

It's a problem, especially when it's a 'rare' item not easily replaced, but if it's only the brake column you should be able to reglue it in the correct place.  A 'faff' l know, but at least you have one of the best locos Hornby have ever (IMHO) made! 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, short of Yodel, Hermes are the most appalling failures in home deliveries.  The real problem is, of course, that the benighted drivers have schedules to meet, and have to take short cuts to enable them to meet their times.  Often 1 minute per delivery 'slot'.  

It's a problem, especially when it's a 'rare' item not easily replaced, but if it's only the brake column you should be able to reglue it in the correct place.  A 'faff' l know, but at least you have one of the best locos Hornby have ever (IMHO) made! 

Another big problem with Hermes is that the driver is under no obligation to leave you their contact details in the event of a missed delivery, thus making getting any clue of when the next delivery might be almost impossible.

Edited by Tim Hall