Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

That's just a placeholder.

If you set up a page then it needs a value putting in the price section. So you just put in a price that no one would expect to pay.

All those books on Amazon aren't really £999.99. Just that they haven't got any current stock. But they are expecting some in the future.

Jason

The practice is more confined to Ebay commercial sellers, especially Hong Kong, who indicate  a quantity sold etc of a regular line, and use the trick to stop paying a new listing fee. It may be a real attempt to sell if it is a lone sale, as there is no saving on holding the listing involved.#

Stephen/

Edited by bertiedog

A = 05.85mm
B = 10.92mm
C = 18.60mm
D = 19.75mm
E = 22.00mm
F = 25.50mm

D+E+F = 67.25mm

All dimensions approximate as the wheelsets are out receiving attention at the moment.

P

(Phew! That posted. PC playing up at the moment.)

Cheers matey! Going to try a Manning Wardle H class body on there, knocking up a 3D print to test. 

• RMweb Gold

The sellers other stuff is expensive, but not extortionate. But it's all limited editions and hard to find stuff. So I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

At least he isn't charging you 50p to look. :jester:

Jason

Ebay fees are what pushes prices up. Now 10%, including postage charges. Some of the prices people complain about on here are actually pretty fair.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind selling a Peckett for £999. Might fund my next SLW purchases!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Describe correct wheels please. There are at least 2 types of spoke. one is close to an 'H' section, with a later style being a solid spoke. Cylinders? Parallel, or inclined?

Just a few teasers for you. Luckily, most of the AB drawings still exist, in Glasgow University Archive. Read the bundles books first......

Ian

Agreed. There was at least 3 patterns of 3'5'' wheels made by Barclays.  

The majority of those preserved have inclided cylinders, of course the parallel ones would a more interesting model, and would also be different from the popular DJH "starter kit" model. 

post-5089-0-68646300-1484068917_thumb.jpg

Paul A. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The practice is more confined to Ebay commercial sellers, especially Hong Kong, who indicate  a quantity sold etc of a regular line, and use the trick to stop paying a new listing fee. It may be a real attempt to sell if it is a lone sale, as there is no saving on holding the listing involved.#

Stephen/

Post deleted, someone else beat me to it.

John.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I only got my (pre-ordered) 'Dodo' by the skin of my teeth because my local dealer received enough to cover his pre-orders with none to spare.

Having followed the tales of rapidly disappearing Pecketts in this thread, I was somewhat amazed, this morning, to see that a H&P blue one had remained unsold long enough to make it into his shop window. 

My desire for one of these was only awakened rather late in the day and I had pretty much got used to the idea of going without. 

You would be correct in assuming that  this particular loco underwent a fairly swift change of ownership  :imsohappy: .

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Having followed the tales of rapidly disappearing Pecketts in this thread, I was somewhat amazed, this morning, to see that a H&P blue one had remained unsold long enough to make it into his shop window.

My desire for one of these was only awakened rather late in the day and I had pretty much got used to the idea of going without.

You would be correct in assuming that this particular loco underwent a fairly swift change of ownership :imsohappy: .

John

Why did that make me think of a little boy staring through the window of a pet shop looking at a little kitten?

Roy

• Like 4

That's just a placeholder.

If you set up a page then it needs a value putting in the price section. So you just put in a price that no one would expect to pay.

All those books on Amazon aren't really £999.99. Just that they haven't got any current stock. But they are expecting some in the future.

Jason

I think its just a great joke  and it makes you look at other  goodies he has for sale .If he has an ebay store it costs nothing to list new items .I think I will put mine up at £998 just to undercut .That will teach him a lesson.   Snort  snort .

Edited by alfsboy

• RMweb Gold

I was quite pleased to notice that this particular curmudgeonly old f4rt can still feel that way now and again. :jester:

It is nice that no matter our age we can still find that level of pleasure in "simple" things. Indeed, I often think it is these that bring the most enjoyment.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think its just a great joke  and it makes you look at other  goodies he has for sale .If he has an ebay store it costs nothing to list new items .I think I will put mine up at £998 just to undercut .That will teach him a lesson.   Snort  snort .

It takes time to make a new page every time you make a new entry though. This way he's already got the page and just needs to alter the price.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Ebay fees are what pushes prices up. Now 10%, including postage charges. Some of the prices people complain about on here are actually pretty fair.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind selling a Peckett for £999. Might fund my next SLW purchases!

Roy

12% and then there's 3% to PayPal, and £3.95 for 2nd sign for postage.

On a £100 sale expect to have £80 left.

On a £5 sale expect 30p left.

Somewhere in between expect postal damage, dodgy buyers and people who want to refund it at your postal cost both ways & leisure.

£999 for a Peckett, well I might consider selling one of mine for £998, but say please and don't ask me before breakfast and my first cup of tea.

Edited by adb968008

Further to any crabbing tendency on the Peckett, I have added shim washers to both axles, and it improves the running, but it is set off by out of level track, across the track, at a surprisingly  low level of less than a degree. It is the self steering action of coned wheels, as it moves sideways and forward it tends to go to the lower side and stays there, slightly crabbed over.

Any stalling at slow speed may just be the crabbing is causing the pickups not to bear hard enough on the tyre when it happens.

But rest assured the problem is very slight once the play is removed. Some examples may vary with the tension of the pickups being set higher in production, than others.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Out of curiosity I have just tried both a standard and the tightened Dodo on the new DCC bullhead track, which is a slightly tighter gauge and inclined rail, and  both run straight, but with a tiny wiggle from the standard chassis, any crabbing is minimal.

Stephen

I've just managed to buy a H & P one on EBay for £95, luckily the seller couldn't spell Peckett so it was kept away from everyone's hungry eyes whilst I did the deal. If there isn't an icon for jealous then just feel free to post abuse, I don't care 'cos I've got one now.

• RMweb Premium

Describe correct wheels please. There are at least 2 types of spoke. one is close to an 'H' section, with a later style being a solid spoke. Cylinders? Parallel, or inclined?

Just a few teasers for you. Luckily, most of the AB drawings still exist, in Glasgow University Archive. Read the bundles books first......

Ian

The correct wheels for whichever loco they model!  Not the Peckett or Pug ones.....

They could always go to Tanfield and measure the Grant, Ritchie 0-4-2ST.  That would be nice as a model.  With the correct wheels - it still has 4 of the 6.....

• RMweb Premium

**Sigh** Too good to be true. When Hattons came to pick it, it wasn't there. Quite disappointed.

There is a Huntley one on Osborn's models web site at the moment, if that is any use?.

MickD.