Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

On 24/10/2022 at 11:44, LaGrange said:

You wont, look up videos of the ESU Euro66 on youtube. Like something off the classic 80's Thomas series........

Looks faintly ridiculous , hope the Dapol one is a bit more realistic 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

So it would appear the wait is almost over. I received an email from Dapol this afternoon about some preorders I had with them. They now suggest stock would arrive at Dapol sometime next week. Though sound fitted examples will follow on in due course. Will be waiting/watching with interest till my order arrives. 🙏

Regards Peter

Edited by Pedro32
Clarifying
  • Like 2

On 17/11/2022 at 21:38, SouthernMafia said:

My preorder with a certain Sheffield based retailer has increased by around £11, despite preordering before 1st November when Dapol said the price increase would take effect and orders placed beforehand would be subject to the original price. Have asked for a response but still waiting. Maybe because the 59 was announced sooo long ago it had to have a price increase? 

To their credit Rails are now honouring my original pre-order price.

22 hours ago, Pedro32 said:

Hi,

So it would appear the wait is almost over. I received an email this afternoon that suggested stock would arrive at Dapol sometime next week. Though sound fitted examples will follow on in due course. Will be waiting/watching with interest till my order arrives. 🙏

Regards Peter

Who from may I ask... Last people who will say it are Dapol 😀

• RMweb Premium

Yeoman logo is too small, a mistake also made by Lima and Hornby over the years. I can only assume there was an official livery diagram somewhere with this smaller version that keeps being trotted out and referred to.

32 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Yeoman logo is too small, a mistake also made by Lima and Hornby over the years. I can only assume there was an official livery diagram somewhere with this smaller version that keeps being trotted out and referred to.

Looks like the blue stripe is too shallow, so the Yeoman lettering is too small to fit the stripe. The photo also brings another error to light on the model, the removable panels above the side cooler group grill is only present on one side.

Compare to this from 1990, linked from Flickr 

59001 "Yeoman Endeavour", Tinsley Open Day, Sheffield. 29.09.1990.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Agree 1

Are the ones on show at Warley pre-production models or production models shipped over in advance of the main shipment?

Im not overly impressed in what im seeing at the moment, not helped by the fact i can't see past those incorrect NRN pods on the roof.

My friend has an ARC one on order than i'll be having a good look at when it arrives, but at the moment im looking like giving this first batch a wide berth and seeing if Dapol do better with later releases.

Hi All,

I was at Warley yesterday at the NEC.

Took the opportunity to visit the Dapol stand to get an update on their class 59’s.

The chap I spoke to advised that these are due into the Country next week & then will be checked & sent out to their retailers shortly after this.

personally, I am looking forward to these & with the announcement of the P & D JHA hoppers an impressive rake could be created.

ED049D26-0CEF-4606-9F3F-5C26454200A0.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Production samples of the 59 at Warley

Just look at those horn grills, the cab steps… a definite improvement on the Hattons 66.

This looks a very crisp model, delivery is imminent.

19F453A6-9FDC-448A-BAB1-A23CDF11C115.jpeg

E9AE20E8-EE03-4D69-9DB8-AB9E3C9531DF.jpeg

1A61FD86-69FB-4901-A34D-20FDEA0F68F5.jpeg

245999B3-B5BE-4874-9B5A-61F5DC5A3217.jpeg

A664722A-9E8D-477E-AA3B-9A415825A1BB.jpeg

Now that's more like it!  Regardless of the [understandable] perfect expectations by some, those images are very pleasing. Nothing is ever perfect in this world but those locos will do for me.

Looking forward to my Hattons, September, pre-order arriving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, njee20 said:

Is the grey roof on the ARC one darker than the cab sides/bogies/underframe? Should all be the same, shouldn’t it…?

Have a look at CBRail's post, after yours.  That shows a lighter roof shade.  Think you'll find It's purely down to the lighting angles from different positions.

• RMweb Gold

A bit more time looking at these today.

So this was yesterday..

A97C6F74-5090-4E31-8677-3E408BC8144E.jpeg.4a3cb439a311559ab01febae0d0855ad.jpeg

This was Ally Pally in April..

5C03E44D-4A9E-42AA-B30F-1CE38DBD5BBF.jpeg.127964363c011446e2a456f78fff7cee.jpeg

(The one without a chassis was the latest)

This was Warley 2018… (yes 4 years ago).

6EF2517B-D49A-4FC6-9B44-4327E664AE8D.jpeg.63ffd4a522eb0b078a7aac1ab38e6875.jpeg

The common theme here is the 59’s occupy the bottom shelf or nearly bottom shelf of the cabinet.

Either little people buy 59’s or someone higher up doesn't seem to want to shout about them… even when they are apparently knocking on the front door….

in the 2018 picture, you can see the 21/29 EP isn't even painted yet.. but everything in the picture, except the 59, including 2 batches of 21/29’s and those images of 73’s have been released and gone..

Looking at them closely, the cab line, nrn pod stands out.

Little things like the lamp iron are chunkier than the Hattons 66.

The paint job has definitely improved over time.

Whilst the side grill isnt an etch, it looks nice

The 59 tooling is quite old… the painted EPs were about before the Hattons 66 was announced. Who knows why its taken so long, but it feels like time has moved on, and sadly I dont feel the enthusiasm from Dapol about it..  I couldnt find an evangelist this weekend for this model.. I know Dapol has them ive had great conversations about the Manor, 63xx, 29, n gauge 50’s ( and I dont even do n).. 

I didnt see the 59’s out of the cabinet, and you had to ask to know more.

It isnt like a 2022 latest and greatest tooling model.. but its not bad, its heavy, Ive seen a working one many years ago and suspect it will entertain., but it feels like this isnt the highest priority…

Not long to wait now to find out why.

C7FA22D2-6FB4-46C5-BE20-A058371644A3.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, 70000 Britannia said:

Have a look at CBRail's post, after yours.  That shows a lighter roof shade.  Think you'll find It's purely down to the lighting angles from different positions.

It’s a little hard to tell because the cant rail stripe interrupts it, but I’m pretty certain it’s two shades of grey. I was looking at it yesterday. It looks wrong, certainly!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2022 at 10:47, njee20 said:

Is the grey roof on the ARC one darker than the cab sides/bogies/underframe? Should all be the same, shouldn’t it…?

The cab sides and roof are the same.

The cantrail is printed over the top of it.

it was hard to photograph the 59 as it was on the lower levels and at the back.

But I was for checking that !

i’m interested to see how the NP 59/2 matches livery to Bachmanns NP wagons. Its much improved on the purple blue of 2018 but i’m still not quite convinced… (i’m not buying the NP 59/2 myself as I couldnt get the wagons, so will have to rely on others for pictures).

The rest however, the liveries are looking good.

I feel its probably underrated and a swan is to emerge with these 59’s… I think its not bad at all, put AI / G&W on it a lot more heads will turn.

i’m looking forwards to mine arriving.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

On 26/11/2022 at 10:14, adb968008 said:

Production samples of the 59 at Warley

Just look at those horn grills, the cab steps… a definite improvement on the Hattons 66.

This looks a very crisp model, delivery is imminent.

19F453A6-9FDC-448A-BAB1-A23CDF11C115.jpeg

Thanks for posting the pics from Warley. The other thing that is very noticeable from this pic is the detail around the coupling.

It looks like Dapol have replicated the holes for the air pipes on both sides (incorrect). Also there should be 4 holes in a vertical line either side coupling. Dapol have only two for some reason.

I guess both of these errors are fixable with a bit of drilling and filling.

The screw link coupling also needs a bit of work too. Most obviously, the rebate is no where near deep enough.

Prototype pic of 59/1 front end to compare with below.

Good to hear that they will be delivered to stockists this week though. Finally!!!

Guy

IMG_4335.jpg

• Like 1

I'm wondering if they'll have the weight and power of a Hattons H66 (plenty of weight, LOADS of power) or the weight and power of a Dapol 68 (plenty of weight, not much else ...).

I've kept my National Power order and eagerly anticipate its arrival as agreed with the supplier.

Al.

image.png.3089b549fc8b90906d2c8d0e3eda851d.png

Asked Joel nicely could I have a closer look at this one in the dying moments of Warley on Sunday and he was happy to oblige. They were wrapping up, and I'd to help dismantle a stand  myself, so only poked it for a minute (ooh cheeky)

My observations - stuff like the silencer, lampirons and couplings has already been covered so no need to repeat here

The printing of the name plate is nice, but the font on the number plate and the repeater numbers is not right. Cast plates will be provided too, but didn't see these. Guessing they will be number, name, data panel and worksplates, their version of 59005 doesnt have the extra Megatrain plate applied so my guess is that this wont be included. Obviously that ARC logo will be going, to be replaced with a FOX decal. Jury is out on the shades of yellow. More concerned about the warning panel (hopefully not lemon again!!)  than the mustard custard, which got certain people a little bit flustered

The Yeoman one was running on the little display layout they had too on Sunday, literally a little roundey roundey layout, so obviously didnt have 18+ JHA's in tow

Its not as heavy as I was expecting, but given my benchmark for 'heavy' is now an Accurascale Deltic this is not surprising

The cab glazing looks amazing and flush, so that interior will need a lick of green paint. I didnt get to look closely to see if it has the American style control pedestal rather than a generic 'cab' but I'm sure that a 3D print of the proper 59 interior will be done if this model is lacking one. Might need to revert to some of the forbidden 'Modelling'

Also saw the box it will come in, not quite Accurascale Deltic sized but sufficient, approx the same size as a Dapol Western box. Strong Cardboard outer, foam inside with the model sitting in a plastic tray - same as most models these days

There will be 5 variants of each

Standard (Analogue)

DCC

DCC with sound

DCC with smoke - 2 versions of smoke, smoke oil and the water version

DCC with smoke and sound

Its also noticeable that Andy (of DCC Supplies) is not longer working for Dapol, who had been the project manager, so it needed to be pushed over the line. Tooling does not come cheap, so recoup on investments is needed

This is looking like a repeat of the Dapol 73 here - so close, yet so far - Improvements are possible and making it your own model that bit more is a part of it for many, which is satisfying to those but some want it bang on immediately. Its amazing that the latter are the loudest online and on social media, they might make a nice video, but the mere mention of an airbrush, blade, transfers or detailing parts instills fear or just 'I want it perfect, but dont want to pay lots'. Only 1 youtuber I've seen is happy to roll up his sleeves and get on with it

Probably a bit biased myself as I'm a big fan of Mendip Stone stuff, and I'm happy to get my hands (and the models) dirty. Just means there will be quite a few 'returns' like there were with 73's. Given the announced ARC JHA I'll be needing 3 59's now... 1 FY and 2 ARC. 

Still - could be worse. Remember Convict Jones and his aspirations......

Edited by LaGrange
  • Like 5