Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

1 hour ago, Chris56057 said:

Aside from the National Power HKA wagons, is anybody able to advise on any other rakes that 59204 worked with please?

Photos on Flickr of the National Power 59s working MGR hoppers and RMC JGAs from Peak Forest, presumably once in EWS ownership 

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

From a current scene point of view,i think 59201 is still red but with no DB branding, so i guess the model of 206 could be cleaned off and the nameplate removed , the six taken to a one and your somewhere with it running today...........or is there other difference to contend with?

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

From a current scene point of view,i think 59201 is still red but with no DB branding, so i guess the model of 206 could be cleaned off and the nameplate removed , the six taken to a one and your somewhere with it running today...........or is there other difference to contend with?

201 and 205 both still red. Rust patches painted over and the DB Schenker branding becoming more visible through the patch painting by the week.

A rare breed

Jo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get my 59/1 out on the club layout for a run, modelling the Whatley - Fareham stone with 18 ARC JUAs. A club colleague brought his Yeoman 59 along too, which looked great on the Dapol JYAs

IMG_20230119_074147_705.jpg.27f35acad0909b35fea86f48ae91238a.jpg

I fitted an EM1 to my 59/1, which gives good bass, but the volume is not great even turned right up. It is paired in series with a standard 4ohm speaker from DC Kits/Biffo, just wondering what others have set theirs up with? Here's a vid:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Managed to get my 59/1 out on the club layout for a run, modelling the Whatley - Fareham stone with 18 ARC JUAs. A club colleague brought his Yeoman 59 along too, which looked great on the Dapol JYAs

IMG_20230119_074147_705.jpg.27f35acad0909b35fea86f48ae91238a.jpg

I fitted an EM1 to my 59/1, which gives good bass, but the volume is not great even turned right up. It is paired in series with a standard 4ohm speaker from DC Kits/Biffo, just wondering what others have set theirs up with? Here's a vid:

Rich,

I have the EM1 only in my 59’s wired straight to the v5 chip and really happy with the sound. Particularly in my railway room which due to its size can make things appear quiet when they are turned up max! I’m using the roads and rails sound:

Hope your well

Rhys

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I've set my 59 up the same and I agree with the overall volume level. I've set CV63 (the volume CV) at 120 and that seems to give the best volume setting. Although it's OK when running just the 59, if you run say a Hatton's 66, then the volume level difference really does show up. Not sure if there's another way of increasing the volume.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Rich,

I have the EM1 only in my 59’s wired straight to the v5 chip and really happy with the sound. Particularly in my railway room which due to its size can make things appear quiet when they are turned up max! I’m using the roads and rails sound:

Hope your well

Rhys

Roads and Rails sounds is not a 59 though, upcycled SD40 noises 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

2 minutes ago, LaGrange said:
23 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Rich,

Hope your well

Rhys

Expand  

With class 66 start up sequence and horns from what I can hear.

Jo

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

I've set my 59 up the same and I agree with the overall volume level. I've set CV63 (the volume CV) at 120 and that seems to give the best volume setting. Although it's OK when running just the 59, if you run say a Hatton's 66, then the volume level difference really does show up. Not sure if there's another way of increasing the volume.

I think it's something to do with the EM1's power output only being 0.5W, so you have to add a second speaker to 'boost' it. But I found the same thing with the Class 58, when I paired in parallel with a small 12ohm speaker at the suggestion of Roads and Rails, to give more power and better high frequencies. It worked great giving an output of 3ohms (ok on a V5) but it's almost like the purpose of the EM1 just becomes about bass, rather than volume as you get with th EM2. A better 4ohm speaker in series may improve things, but again is the capability of the EM1 just being masked by the loudness of the other 4ohm speaker. It's probably more for discussion in the DCC Sound forum but interesting topic nonetheless. 

PS @Rhysb interesting yours works just with the EM1, when I tried this the sound would cut out the moment you tried to move the loco, as if the speaker couldn't cope, probably because it's 0.5W. I had to turn it right down to get it to work, then installed the second speaker in series.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LaGrange said:

The CV63 Increases 'Every Sound' all you need is to increase the Engine Sounds, ALL these are listed on the DCKits-Legomanbiffo Website, along with every other seperate sound, so some like the horns, doors, Whistle can be reduced and say flange squeel increased.  BUT never have CV63 on Full and the others on Full. 

Re the comments on a Single EM1, its only 1/2Watt and the decoder pumps out 2 Watt's + so like your motor in the loco, it will run on 24V DC or 12V DC.  Which do you think will make the motor last longer ?????

PPS The Legomanbiffo was recorded at Merehead from a 'Real' Class 59, sadly most of the others out there are Free Files from the ESU Website of SD40 (Class 66)  or just a Class 66.   

SEE:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=261

Edited by charliepetty
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

PPS The Legomanbiffo was recorded at Merehead from a 'Real' Class 59, sadly most of the others out there are Free Files from the ESU Website of SD40 (Class 66)  or just a Class 66.   

SEE:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=261

Sorry Charlie but a SD40 isn’t a Class 66.  A SD40 is a 16 cylinder 645 lump whereas a Class 66 is a 12 cylinder 710.  Sound similar but put the two together, noticeable difference, as I found out at Union Pacific’s Roseville yard when there was a SD40-2 and SD60 parked next to each other, just ticking over.  As they say ‘all the same but different’ lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, charliepetty said:

See my post from last week for some details of the recording session with Biff and Revolution Trains at Merehead (link below).

I think the combo of a sugar cube and EM1 works really well to capture both low and high frequencies. Make sure that you fit an enclosure to your sugar cube though as the high frequencies are not as loud without it (details in my post).

The 'default' volume that Biff has set seems loud enough for me, but as Charlie says, if you want it louder, tinker with the (well-documented) CVs to increase the volume.

Guy

13 hours ago, Oulton TMD said:

Is road and rails and legoman biffos sound the same ? 

Goodness no - One is purpose recorded off the genuine loco, one is  'library recordings' recorded off the loco it was based upon (based on another continent) , but without the massive silencer and a few other things. Like saying every car with a Rover V8 engine sounds the same - they dont, even with standard exhausts....

20 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I paired in parallel with a small 12ohm speaker at the suggestion of Roads and Rails, to give more power and better high frequencies. It worked great giving an output of 3ohms (ok on a V5) but it's almost like the purpose of the EM1 just becomes about bass, rather than volume as you get with th EM2.

I wouldn't recommend that. 3 ohms is NOT fine for a Loksound V5. Read the spec: https://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-loksound-5-dcc/

4-32 ohms.

Guy

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, lyneux said:

I wouldn't recommend that. 3 ohms is NOT fine for a Loksound V5. Read the spec: https://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-loksound-5-dcc/

4-32 ohms.

Guy

I've installed it in several locos and not had issues as yet, other than the lower volume in the 58 and 59. It may just be the sound file, but the setup sounds particularly good with the Class 50, and here's a 37 where the recommendation came from:

Whether it's affecting the chip long term is unknown, but none have gone on me yet. I should really put a meter across the speaker outputs to see what the actual impedance is, but the video author suggests it's closer to 4ohm.

Unfortunately the 12ohm speakers aren't available anymore, so I've got to look at alternatives anyway.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Noticed these on e bay,might be of use to some wanting to start correct things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314304668679

Or you can just cut up and modify the original as I have done.😉 See my layout thread for 59003.

3C95E2C1-9AC4-4FAD-A4C2-A821E97B2AB4.jpeg.78e24d9464985f28064d043d5e70a627.jpeg

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just received my 4D-005-03 59 204 Vale of Glamorgan.

If it lives halfway up to my initial reaction on removing from the box for the 1st time, it'll be superb.

I hope Dapol have a better motor in this one - keep burning out the Class 68 motors ...

(I read the post - misaligned brushes to blame.)

Al.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2023 at 10:17, lyneux said:

I have finally got all the bits needed to install sound into my three Dapol 59s: Loksound v5 from DCKits with Legomanbiffo sounds, sugar cube speaker (plus the moulded ESU enclosure) and EM1™/Accurathrash™ speaker.

I was present at Merehead with Biff last year when he recorded the 59 with the Revolution Trains team on a foul and miserable rainy May morning. Despite the weather, it was quite special to be present at the recording of a locomotive and for it to happen at Merehead, the spiritual home of the 59s, made it extra special.

IMG_9666.jpg.f32f27c2f7925085260af15f7e36f788.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg.50f5014ed2933c43ace901865e2c2bd5.jpg

Having some personal attachment to the recording process meant there was only one choice when it came to sound equipping my 59s: Biff's new sound project.

I wanted to retain the high frequency whine and ying of the prototype alongside the bass of the engine so rather than just fitting an EM1, I decided to also fit a sugarcube speaker to provide the higher frequencies. Fitting the speakers was fairly straightforward. The EM1 had it's lugs removed on the trusty proxxon table saw and for the sugarcube I added the plastic ESU enclosure but without any of the spacer 'rings' as there isn't much space left once the EM1 is fitted. The sugarcube is 8ohms and the EM1 4 ohms. In series, this gives 12 ohms which is within the 4-32 ohm range for the Loksound V5. Be careful though, in parallel these are 2.57ohms combined which may damage your decoder! The sugarcube was fitted in a gap on the main circuit board (as circled in green). I was careful to use electrical tape to insulate the circuit board from any inadvertent shorts.

IMG_1061.jpg.0b15253da0c6e978c0ecafcfe8cc5d11.jpg

And here's the final result. Not too shabby!

Thanks to Biff as well as Mike and Ben from Revolution Trains.

I like that speaker combination: Accurathrash (4 Ohm, 0.5W) + Sugar Cube (8 Ohm, I assume 1.0W?)

I have the same decoder and Accurathrash but Just a "MINI BOX" Cube (8 Ohm, 0.5W).

Not wired it up yet, as I'm waiting for some micro connectors. Has anyone tried the the MINI BOX. Would it be worth using, compared to the Sugar Cube with a reduced baffle box?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by 70000 Britannia
  • Round of applause 1

Well I have “endeavoured” to improve one of my 59’s. Taking some of Ian’s (Temeraire) and Richard’s (Everard Junction) ideas to make 59001. Last thing I added as per the real thing was the bell!

4AF1BC24-0106-4808-BD58-18A2F862BE2F.jpeg.88f9dad86ccc5661c5bdc9c602338838.jpegF93DDD6E-DA01-4D20-838D-07D0FFDF96AD.jpeg.d17f0770ec59c6d3fc1b1655d25cb961.jpeg72CFC358-E6A7-416E-B220-2DA727C49108.jpeg.f77cdedd38a781b8f0f9dae5530002bf.jpeg

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 17