Can you identify these locations?

RRU

At roughly the halfway point, I thought I should give credit to the photographer.

All these photographs were taken by Andy Woodcock, seen here on the left.

post-24330-0-23097600-1448810659.jpg

Here is the rest of the gang and their transport.

post-24330-0-34085800-1448810674.jpg

Peter

The Royal Scot is carrying the shedplate 41A. Can I assume that is where it is photographed?

Darnall seems a strange allocation for a Scot.

Peter

A batch of ex-LMS express passenger engines ended up there. When Millhouses closed at the end of 1961, its express engines (Jubilees, Scots and a Patriot) went to Canklow. But they didn't stay there long. Many were transferred to various sheds during March 1962 and those that were left, including 46164, went to Darnall in June 1962. All of the engines transferred to Darnall were withdrawn at the end of 1962.

And thanks for drawing my attention to Roger Smith's pics.,which I hadn't come across previously. Some nice stuff there....though that J11 at Retford is a bit of an interloper,

I agree - a very nice collection of pictures, and I hadn't seen them before, either.

Don't now about the first one but number 2 is a train (probably a Ballachuilish one) climbing from Oban towards Glencruitten. Number three is in the yard next to the engine shed at Oban and number four is Connel Ferry

Paul

Edit - now that I think on it I believe number 1 is taken at the south end of Stirling shed, looking south. The locomotive is an ex-Caledonian 812 class 0-6-0.

Don't now about the first one but number 2 is a train (probably a Ballachuilish one) climbing from Oban towards Glencruitten. Number three is in the yard next to the engine shed at Oban and number four is Connel Ferry

Paul

Edit - now that I think on it I believe number 1 is taken at the south end of Stirling shed, looking south. The locomotive is an ex-Caledonian 812 class 0-6-0.

Paul, before you posted, I had got as far as identifying Connel Ferry and was starting to look around Oban for the others, so thanks for saving me some effort.

I don't think the first one is Stirling. Here's a picture taken off the bridge at the south end of Stirling shed yard. The track arrangement doesn't match. https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/8121174817/in/photolist-cunBj9-cmjGjS-dnD9kt/lightbox/

Edit - helps if I include the picture.

As the last pic is Connel Ferry then this should follow.

Does the bridge have a name?

Peter

To quote George Harrison - "Arthur".

There's an interesting phenomenon immediately under the bridge - the Falls of Lora, a tidal race which can be very strong, depending on the tides. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falls_of_Lora . From the bridge, I've seen a coaster 'shooting' these on an ebb tide, possibly the fastest it had ever travelled.

The first one must be a very rare photograph of  E3098 bearing its original number, don't think it carried that for long.

Jim

Exactly.

I think I have only seen two other photos of it in my lifetime. One is on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/32978671@N08/3170491370/in/dateposted/

And the other was in a 1960s ABC combined book

In fact, details of the workings of the 25kv 'B' loco(s) or anything about them really, are very hard to find.

Was the second of these pics taken at the same time as the others, presumably around the late 50's pr early 60's? If so, that is the earliest use of pallisade security fencing I have ever seen. I did not think that came into use until the 1980's. in which case that would be a preserved run?

• RMweb Gold

Which makes it Man Picc, Crewe or possibly Liverpool? Or somewhere in between?

Looks like the South end of Crewe station to me, over the far side (platform 12 now and the oou platform behind). (But I'm not 100% convinced so I didn't comment earlier)

Archived