Can you identify these locations?

RRU

Looks like the South end of Crewe station to me, over the far side (platform 12 now and the oou platform behind). (But I'm not 100% convinced so I didn't comment earlier)

I think it might be Crewe Electric, not 100% certain mind...!

Was the second of these pics taken at the same time as the others, presumably around the late 50's pr early 60's? If so, that is the earliest use of pallisade security fencing I have ever seen. I did not think that came into use until the 1980's. in which case that would be a preserved run?

I agree with you.

The coaching stock in the second pic looks to be painted in either Network Southeast or Provincial livery whereas the cars and road coaches in the other pic say very early 60`s.

Exactly.

I think I have only seen two other photos of it in my lifetime. One is on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/32978671@N08/3170491370/in/dateposted/

And the other was in a 1960s ABC combined book

In fact, details of the workings of the 25kv 'B' loco(s) or anything about them really, are very hard to find.

That is a different loco. It has three side windows and the motif is low down whereas the loco in Andy`s pic has four windows and a high motif and is no. E3305. 

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the South end of Crewe station to me, over the far side (platform 12 now and the oou platform behind). (But I'm not 100% convinced so I didn't comment earlier)

It looks more like a depot to me with the concrete hard standing and bullhead rail.

• RMweb Gold

That is a different loco. It has three side windows and the motif is low down whereas the loco in Andy`s pic has four windows and a high motif and is no. E3305. 

Peter

Just the other side of the loco - equipment side has four vents, corridor side has three windows.

Was the second of these pics taken at the same time as the others, presumably around the late 50's pr early 60's? If so, that is the earliest use of pallisade security fencing I have ever seen. I did not think that came into use until the 1980's. in which case that would be a preserved run?

I presume you're referring to the fencing between the footpath and the tracks. I remember trying to climb over fences of that design, and I stopped trying things like that long before the 1980s!

I agree with you.

The coaching stock in the second pic looks to be painted in either Network Southeast or Provincial livery whereas the cars and road coaches in the other pic say very early 60`s.

The number of the pilot looks like 44967. That was an Eastfield engine from 1957 to 1963, and was scrapped in 1964, so a date of late 1950s/early 1960s fits.

Just the other side of the loco - equipment side has four vents, corridor side has three windows.

Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn`t noticed each side was different.

I stand corrected.

Peter

Phew! That's a relief.

I sat staring at the photo for many minutes and almost convinced myself the last figure was a '5', until I realised E3305 never saw the light of day in its originally conceived form, or at least I have never seen any evidence that it did.

However, (and apologies for temporarily hi-jacking this thread) after rummaging through my drawers I found the Summer 1962 ABC (red with Blue Pullman on the cover) and discovered the photo I remember, and that it was not of E3303, but E3304.

The photograph bottom left is at Polmont, there is a colour photograph here http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=600411&type=S&page=gallery of the second engine in line 62689 "Maid of Lorne"

Edit 69014 was also stored at Polmont so could be the same location.  Photo on the Railscot site - https://www.railscot.co.uk/slideshow/slideshow.php?loc=Polmont%20Shed

Jim

Peter - Do you mind if I post the first photo on this group on a couple of other forums?  It is driving me nuts as I feel I should know the answer.

Jim

Yes, go ahead Jim. Do whatever you need to do to get an answer, I don`t think Andy will mind.

Peter

I think 47161 is at Fleetwood unless someone knows another shed with that wall patterning and rebuilt roof style.

Simon

More pics at the same location if they help.

post-24330-0-21841500-1449062173.jpgpost-24330-0-93144800-1449062215.jpg

post-24330-0-25393300-1449062228.jpg

Peter

Yes, go ahead Jim. Do whatever you need to do to get an answer, I don`t think Andy will mind.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I posted it on the Scot-Rail forum and within seconds got a positive identification.  The loco is coming off the Inverness Harbour Branch at Rose Street Junction, probably hauling a railtour.  The photo was taken from the end of the "far-north" line platforms at Inverness Station.

Jim

I presume you're referring to the fencing between the footpath and the tracks. I remember trying to climb over fences of that design, and I stopped trying things like that long before the 1980s!

The number of the pilot looks like 44967. That was an Eastfield engine from 1957 to 1963, and was scrapped in 1964, so a date of late 1950s/early 1960s fits.

This had me intrigued. I have compared and contrasted the picture and this is not modern palisade fencing - there are no bolts and the footings are odd - it would appear to be a row of half-moon, heavy gauge steel, spiked uprights welded to horizontal rails, rather than the fabricated, galvanised and press-bolted light steel structures of today. It also appears to be somewhat shorter than modern rail side fencing. The only puzzle left then is why they bothered to provide this kind of secure barrier in the 1950's at a place as tranquil as FW? There was no legal requirement at that time to do so, the standards of the time only requiring post and rail, or post and wire, except when protecting high voltage equipment. You have said you tried to climb over many other fences of this type in that period, which was not my experience in the mid 1960's through to the 70's, all over the Eastern Region and around Derby. Was that mainly in Scotland? This shows there is certainly a prototype for almost anything!

Thanks Peter - I posted it on the Scot-Rail forum and within seconds got a positive identification.  The loco is coming off the Inverness Harbour Branch at Rose Street Junction, probably hauling a railtour.  The photo was taken from the end of the "far-north" line platforms at Inverness Station.

Jim

Thats another one sorted.

Thanks Jim for going to all that trouble to get to the truth.

Peter

I think 47161 is at Fleetwood unless someone knows another shed with that wall patterning and rebuilt roof style.

Simon

It could be Blackpool North shed, which seems to have had that pattern on the brickwork. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blackpool+north+shed&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzvtzztb3JAhUEqxoKHaRABDYQ_AUICSgD&biw=1216&bih=664#imgrc=xItRmeyZE91rVM%3A

Simon

47161 was a long time Fleetwood engine being listed there in 1950, 1959 and 1961.  I don't think there would have been much work for a 2F at Blackpool.  The Stanier 2-6-2T 40072`was, however listed as being allocated to Blackpool in 1959 and 1961 but moved to Blackburn towards the end of 1961. On p123 of Foxline #26 which covers Fleetwood there is a similar pic of 3F 43502 at the side of Fleetwood shed (with its distinctive brickwork) on 11/9/61 where it apparently lay for 2 1/2 yrs after withdrawal. I would say 40091 is on the same road used for locos in store - mostly ex Blackpool 2-6-2T's at the time.

Ray.

You have said you tried to climb over many other fences of this type in that period, which was not my experience in the mid 1960's through to the 70's, all over the Eastern Region and around Derby. Was that mainly in Scotland? This shows there is certainly a prototype for almost anything!

Mike, I didn't say 'many' - it was an effective form of fencing! But yes, it was in the west of Scotland. I actually tried looking in Streetview at some of the places where I thought I might have seen it. Quite depressing - most of them aren't there any more.

Archived