Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I acquired 'Yeadon's Register of LNER Locomotives Volume 7 B12 Class' a few days ago.

For those who are interested in which one's acquired Late Crest (forward facing both-sides of tender), 8 of the class acquired them between 31/8/57 & 22/3/58.

Of that 8, I've identified 5 (with photographic evidence to confirm that they did)

I hope other's will be able to fill in the missing 3..

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

61558. In P Swinger's 'LNER 4-6-0's' pub. Ian Allan. 'Departing Cambridge shortly before withdrawal in April 1959'. Photographer D Penney,

Interesting picture, that.  I've often wondered whether it was actually on station pilot duties!  If it was departing towards London, I'm pretty sure it would be on one of the lines nearer the photographer (see p73 of same book, for example).  It seems a bit late in the day for a B12 to be heading to London with Express Passenger lamps up, and the coaches look like a King's Cross Outer Suburban non-gangwayed set!

• 1 month later...

Minor observation, but I notice having already delivered R3546 (61576 in E/C) that Hornby have delayed R3545 (61556 in BR with Gill Sans lettering) to August 2019 which seems strange. Production issues, or are they being pragmatic and spreading them out so they can sell the previous releases? Has the B12 been a slow seller? Just curious. 

In a word yes they have been slow to shift, both of the first releases are available at around the £110 Mark.

The B12 is a lovely model without doubt, worthy of being up there with their best production locos. Even the latest E/C version can be had for £120 !

In a word yes they have been slow to shift, both of the first releases are available at around the £110 Mark.

The B12 is a lovely model without doubt, worthy of being up there with their best production locos. Even the latest E/C version can be had for £120 !

I wonder how many are holding out for a new generation 61572, for sentimental reasons?

The Nim.

Hi all

I'm looking for a photo of a B12 in post war black, anyone point me in the right direction please?

Ian

Do you need a colour photograph or monochrome? I've had a look at the 'Big Four in Colour 1925-50', Jenkinson, Edgington & Smart, together with 'LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936-1948', White & Johnston and none have a B12 in the plain unlined black livery applied during WW2. The only photograph in RCTS 'Greenie' Part 2B (fig. 116) is small and slightly out of focus, so probably your best sources are Locomotives Illustrated 117 (4 photographs in the section  titled 'Postwar Liveries') and Yeadon's Register volume 7.

If you are looking for black and white photographs, someone on a Facebook group I follow posted this link last week. There are lots, mostly of ones transferred to Scotland.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNERSteam/1908/Holden-Tender-Engines/The-SD-Holden-B12-GER-Class-S69-1500s-4-6-0s-in-Scotland/i-3z5vndD

I would be interested to hear what anyone can offer regarding the guide irons at the front of the loco. Many in the above set of pictures have had the original big irons removed and replaced with ones similar to many other locos of the period. Was this a purely Scottish Region modification?

I ask because I bought a Hornby one second hand and it is missing one of the big irons, but if I could just fashion a pair like the ones in many of these photos it would be better and one of those tiny alterations that make the loco personalised. I am running a midlands/Yorkshire layout which would have got the odd B12 going between Doncaster and East Anglia in the late 50s.

I hope the photos are of some interest anyway.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

Nice monochrome of 61572 being lined out by Top shed's Frank Rayner, p86  of 'Top Shed' by Peter Townend pub. Ian Allan. (Below is the priceless picture of J15 65479 dwarfed by A3 60075 St Frusquin alongside at Top shed.) 

Colour, 61572 again, p19 of Eastern Steam in Colour' Hugh Ballantyne, pub Janes.

If you are looking for black and white photographs, someone on a Facebook group I follow posted this link last week. There are lots, mostly of ones transferred to Scotland.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNERSteam/1908/Holden-Tender-Engines/The-SD-Holden-B12-GER-Class-S69-1500s-4-6-0s-in-Scotland/i-3z5vndD

I would be interested to hear what anyone can offer regarding the guide irons at the front of the loco. Many in the above set of pictures have had the original big irons removed and replaced with ones similar to many other locos of the period. Was this a purely Scottish Region modification?

I ask because I bought a Hornby one second hand and it is missing one of the big irons, but if I could just fashion a pair like the ones in many of these photos it would be better and one of those tiny alterations that make the loco personalised. I am running a midlands/Yorkshire layout which would have got the odd B12 going between Doncaster and East Anglia in the late 50s.

I hope the photos are of some interest anyway.

Jamie

Ah but are these of the LNER post-war black livery or early BR? As is often the case blanket answers are provided without being clear on the question. E.g. if 61572 is being lined is it with red lining only or with the BR white and red? There are plenty of photographs in the BR period whilst it needs to be remembered that the Scottish-based locomotive liveries were locally specific, not representative.

Given that these locos have the Hornby type 7 motor that was used in their class 58 when they were introduced, I would probably be trying to repower the loco with a better more serviceable motor, possibly an X04 motor with the correct worm gear or a motor and gearbox as used in a kitbuilt version of a B12 and plenty of weight.

These are the new ones, I don't know what motor they have, but it's certainly not from a Class 58.

Jason

Given that these locos have the Hornby type 7 motor ...

The new B12/3 has one of Hornby's neat black can motors (that looks very similar to what was first used on the Castle when that was upgraded) driving a two stage gear train and weighs about 300g. Smooth, quiet and plentiful traction for a class 4 rating. Seviceability, who cares? My oldest can motors are now nudging thirty years in regular operation (some of this outdoors) and I have yet to have one fail, they just go on and on with no fuss.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

1. Rub old number gently with cotton bud dipped in tcut/brasso
  2. Clean
  3. Apply new number transfers
  4. Weather heavily to disguise heavy-handedness with step 1....

:sungum:

Why all my stuff runs pristine/numbered as delivered...

No wonder you do - using t-cut & brasso. You only have to remove 2 numbers and Fox Transfers do a perfect size/colour match for the numbering on a B12 - I use Micro Sol ;)

• Informative/Useful 1

No wonder you do - using t-cut & brasso. You only have to remove 2 numbers and Fox Transfers do a perfect size/colour match for the numbering on a B12 - I use Micro Sol ;)

I am admitting total ignorance here but have bought a GWR King to which someone added what I suspect are waterslide transfers with 'Great Western' on either side of the central emblem, and they got the position of one 'Western' word wrong,  can such transfers be removed without damaging the excellent Hornby green paint?

Will put up photos someday soon, to try to show the transfers. edit, done, they look worse in the photos than to the naked eye, but they look like they might just peel off?   With water?

post-7929-0-38272500-1538774114_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-05551700-1538773872_thumb.jpg

As you can see, quite annoying once you look at it!    :)     Cheap engine though at £78.  And like English weather, 'otherwise fine'.

Perhaps I'll add a stray wisp of steam...

p.s. sorry to put this in a B12 thread, but they are both 4-6-0s.

Edited by robmcg

1. Rub old number gently with cotton bud dipped in tcut/brasso
  2. Clean
  3. Apply new number transfers
  4. Weather heavily to disguise heavy-handedness with step 1....

:sungum:

Why all my stuff runs pristine/numbered as delivered...

.... so, instead of giving it up as a bad job, go a little less heavy-handed next time.

That's how we all learned to do it - we weren't born with the necessary skill !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am admitting total ignorance here but have bought a GWR King to which someone added what I suspect are waterslide transfers with 'Great Western' on either side of the central emblem, and they got the position of one 'Western' word wrong,  can such transfers be removed without damaging the excellent Hornby green paint?

Will put up photos someday soon, to try to show the transfers. edit, done, they look worse in the photos than to the naked eye, but they look like they might just peel off?   With water?...

The visible carrier suggests waterslide is possible. Apply some hand hot water as first attempt.

That failing, dry thoroughly and move on to methylated spirit (as 'Methfix' transfers).

• Thanks 1