Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

• RMweb Gold

Got round to adding most of the detailing to my B12, it's one classy loco.

post-7000-0-76581000-1482345304_thumb.jpg

Worth noting that the location holes for the front guard irons need opening up and unlike the D16/3 the running plate lining is all there ;)

Only niggle is the very narrow bogie pivot pin, which has been mention by another member.

• Like 9

Guest Midland Mole

Got into work this morning, and see some B12s (and a couple of Claud Hamilton's) waiting to be put out in the shop and on the web. :)

- Alex

Has anyone done a photo showing the old Triang based one next to the new please?

Be interesting to see how much they differ. (The tender I believe is the same as the D16/3 whereby the old Triang version size wise is not bad, light years behind on detail).

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone done a photo showing the old Triang based one next to the new please?

Be interesting to see how much they differ. (The tender I believe is the same as the D16/3 whereby the old Triang version size wise is not bad, light years behind on detail).

Look at Post #348.....

Keith

Look at Post #348.....

Keith

Thanks, did not realize we had been through 3 pages since someone got hold of one! Size wise, the triang one stands up well, if somewhat too tall. I was expecting to find the thing 6 ft too short or something (as the D16 is not much shorter).

Got round to adding most of the detailing to my B12, it's one classy loco.

attachicon.gifIMG_4141.jpg

Worth noting that the location holes for the front guard irons need opening up and unlike the D16/3 the running plate lining is all there ;)

Only niggle is the very narrow bogie pivot pin, which has been mention by another member.

One solution for the B12 narrow bogie pin I have found is to get some of these:

post-25546-0-27315400-1482432957.jpg

The problem is that the special bolt has been threaded part of the way down (it's not BA threaded) and then there is a reduced shank right up to the slotted cheesehead. I presumed when I mentioned this earlier that this had been reduced to fit a collar to act as a bearing but this is absent from both the bolt and the Service Sheet. As a result there is noticeable fore-aft movement of the bogie in motion and particularly pulling away from a standstill.

I toyed with the idea of making a brass collar but unless split longitudinally it needs to pass over the greater diameter threaded section of the bolt... and then it would be impractically thin to its outside diameter to fit with ease in the bogie pivot bracket slot.

So... one can take a cotton bud stick, of the hollow plastic variety and severe it, pushing the end over the threaded part of the bolt and right up to the cheesehead. Then all that needs to be done is sever it again above the threaded section. I found that this fitted snuggly in the bracket slot and once lubricated with a general light engine oil it moves very freely and the problem is solved with the added bonus of removing wear from the bolt itself. If the collar ever wears out... well there's 200 in that packet from Wilkos...

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, did not realize we had been through 3 pages since someone got hold of one! Size wise, the triang one stands up well, if somewhat too tall. I was expecting to find the thing 6 ft too short or something (as the D16 is not much shorter).

I make the difference in length a scale 1 foot. I assume Triang made theirs taller for the motor.

One solution for the B12 narrow bogie pin I have found is to get some of these:

attachicon.gifB12_bogie_solution.jpg

So... one can take a cotton bud stick, of the hollow plastic variety and severe it, pushing the end over the threaded part of the bolt and right up to the cheesehead. Then all that needs to be done is sever it again above the threaded section. I found that this fitted snuggly in the bracket slot and once lubricated with a general light engine oil it moves very freely and the problem is solved with the added bonus of removing wear from the bolt itself. If the collar ever wears out... well there's 200 in that packet from Wilkos...

Regards,

Nick

Cotton bud sticks are so versatile!

Chimney pots, bits of misc piping, now bushings for bogies.

Amazing!

...I assume Triang made theirs taller for the motor.

Not a bit of it, they made it taller because that was the way all their product was made back then, so that the bufferbeam would clear the jumbo coupler hook on a  transition from level track to 1 in 15, as produced by the 'inclined piers' of their system. 

It was quite possible to drop the loco body relative to the mechanism and thus put the footplate and buffers at scale height, or to go a step further and fit scale 26mm dia drivers and still achieve scale height, although that did need slight recesses cutting within the boiler shell to clear the top corners of the motor.

The tender was even better, slice the excess 2mm of height out of the frames above the spring trunnions, cement a new footplate on top of the frames and about 1mm of plasticard packing to the tender body underside carefully blended to the sides, for a near dead scale tender body. Of everything in the Triang-Hornby steam loco selection back in the day, easily the best starting point for making a scale tender. The well executed flared out sides were much appreciated by many.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Well, an unexpected Christmas bonus lead me to picking one up, I could praise it until the cows come home, Love It!

I didn't get the cheapest deal but I still think its worth what I paid. I have bought the late crest version with the intention of modelling 61572 as it was for the Wandering 1500 tours. I'm not 100% its correct but if not I could happily have 61580 unchanged, as it is I'm not sure I can bring myself to weather that beautifully applied livery!

• Like 1

Finally got my new Hornby B12/3 this morning, after more than a few arguments with the Post Office who originally delivered it to completely the wrong address.

The DCC and sound is now in and working noisily and it's already starting to look a little different to when it arrived 9 hours ago - bits added, re-numbered and re-liveried to suit my very early BR period. Unfortunately something called Christmas now intervenes, so coaling and weathering is going to have to wait for a week or so.

But I'm impressed with it so far.

post-14917-0-70702800-1482610613_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Merry Xmas a happy 2017 everyone.

I hope this edited pic is permitted. I regularly read here, but conversation is impeded by the wait to have things approved.

Graceful and strong engines, LNER B12 8573 with an East Anglian express, late 1930s.

Bravo Hornby. A golden age for quality RTR methinks.

attachicon.gif8573_B12_Image1_4abc1a_r1200.jpg

Cheers.

And it makes the best of Christmas cards.Thank you Rob for posting once again.I have missed my morning piccies..Best wishes for a very happy Christmas......Ian.

• Like 1

Merry Xmas a happy 2017 everyone.

I hope this edited pic is permitted. I regularly read here, but conversation is impeded by the wait to have things approved.

Graceful and strong engines, LNER B12 8573 with an East Anglian express, late 1930s.

Bravo Hornby. A golden age for quality RTR methinks.

attachicon.gif8573_B12_Image1_4abc1a_r1200.jpg

Cheers.

Great pic, Rob. Happy Christmas to you in NZ from the UK. 

And to all other rm'ers as well!

Bill.

• RMweb Gold

This may have been mentioned before, but I have just discovered that the boiler and splashers are metal castings. The new B12/3 should pull a house brick! I haven't given mine a haulage test as yet, but I expect to not be dissappointed!

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

... I am pleased with the performance and detail. I have no doubt however that the occupants of Pedants Corner are cooking up a long list of defects to regale us with.

Once it pleases the owner, that's the job done from a commercial perspective.

I seriously doubt there will be much criticism, as this is a speciality subject; and as the photos already posted here show, the model looks remarkably like photos of the prototype. Just a couple of small adjustments to eliminate compromises necessary for set track curve capability to further polish the jewel, and the addition of a little 'running dirt' here and there will ice this cake.

Guest Midland Mole

Having looked over mine at quite some length (there I go fondling again) after opening it yesterday, I have to congratulate Hornby on a stunning piece of work. Also the boiler 'gap' seems near non-existent on mine, so that is a plus. :)

- Alex

• Like 1