Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

• RMweb Gold

Well,  cheaper at Rails on preorder!   And Derails just says "due imminently".

Alan

Correct, but only 25p less when I looked.  This was just in case you or anyone else had yet to order.  (Whilst typing this, it looks like Pint of Adnams has found somewhere cheaper.)

I'm guessing Dan has yet to update the Derails website.  He called me this morning to say mine was in the post.

Edit: Derails website now updated to show LNER and late BR in stock with more early BR on order.

Edited by teaky
  • Like 1

Correct, but only 25p less when I looked.  This was just in case you or anyone else had yet to order.  (Whilst typing this, it looks like Pint of Adnams has found somewhere cheaper.)

I'm guessing Dan has yet to update the Derails website.  He called me this morning to say mine was in the post.

Same here, It should arrive on Monday. Exciting stuff!!!

Tod

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been into town, and on my return a message on the answerphone to say the local model shop have got one reserved for me.  Oh well, I'm sure I can wait until tomorrow!  :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

Correct, it's been in updated the past hour, however we have sold out of BR early until later in the week! Unfortunately we were one member of staff down today - usually the other two pack and I do order admin - so today was especially hectic, hence our website not being updated until recently. Most of the orders that could be shipped have been, the few remaining BR versions that missed the courier today (typical - had to come early on a busy day...) will be leaving first thing on Monday morning.

• RMweb Gold

Well here are the photo's I've taken of the LNER liveried B12/3. I took with my iPad. I hope you will find them of interest. The video is to follow, it just takes a while to upload to YouTube.

post-22631-0-30600000-1481920716_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-42910300-1481920828_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-26422700-1481920862_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-47469600-1481920887_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-80843900-1481920931_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-70411700-1481920961_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-62150900-1481920987_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-43706000-1481921012_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-08124400-1481921054_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. I know about the 'gap' between the bottom of the boiler and the top of it, and I will try to close it up, or disguise it, at a later date.

post-22631-0-30051000-1481920784_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well my B12 from Derails won't be arriving on Monday now as it has just been delivered!  :locomotive:

Nice to see a little note in the box indicating that it had been tested before dispatch too.

What a beauty.  Well done Hornby.

As per Market65's post above, the joint underneath the boiler needs a little attention to disguise it better.  The photographs make it more obvious than in real life though.

When did Hornby stop providing front couplings?  I don't meant the hook and bar but a screw link one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Picked up mine from Monk Bar Models this morning; they had all three versions in stock.  What a beauty, and smooth virtually silent running straight from the box!  Interesting to see that several details which were moulded on on the D16 are separate items on this model, such as the vertical pipe on the smokebox side.  Suspect the 'joint' on the underside of the boiler may be more apparent on the green version - I didn't particularly notice it on my black one.  Will have a closer look later.

When did Hornby stop providing front couplings?  I don't meant the hook and bar but a screw link one.

I don't think either of my D16s included screw couplings for the front buffer beam - I had to 'find' some!

• RMweb Gold

A very attractive model and well done Hornby. To put the icing on the cake, I would fit a set of Markits bogie wheels with a large boss, which would markedly improve the look of the front end.  

Do you happen to know the reference number for them Larry?

• RMweb Premium

Excellent service from Hereford. I ordered two from them yesterday around 2pm, posted within the hour they arrived here before 9 this morning.

I dug out one of the Chinese made models of the previous version for comparison, and took some photos which I'm sure you are all eager to see. It should be obvious which is the new one!

post-6821-0-20302300-1481986932_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-87480000-1481986933_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-38411800-1481986935_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-36505200-1481986937_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-31404500-1481986941_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-80289000-1481986942_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-64994600-1481986945_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-03997500-1481986947_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-81384400-1481986948_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Well here are the photo's I've taken of the LNER liveried B12/3. ... I hope you will find them of interest. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0296 - Copy.JPG

... I know about the 'gap' between the bottom of the boiler and the top of it, and I will try to close it up, or disguise it, at a later date.

Very handy that underside view. I suspect I will be making a new drawbar to space off loco and tender at scale separation, since the supplied one looks like it will saw through the wires whichever way around it is used, if operation is attempted at the scale option. It may well be possible to go one better and re-jig it all so the drawbar goes into the drag boxes; with the overall appearance so good, this sort of fiddling around  icing the cake is well justifiable.

I expect that the slight 'reveal' of the inset bottom of the boiler will be 'disappearable' by slight adjustment of the contacting surfaces where the body interior rests on the mechanism. This worked easily on the J15, and would have been equally possible on the D16/3 but was not required on my specimen.

And are those splashers behind the rear bogie wheels? Don't recall that detail in any previous RTR model of any class.

Now Hornby, about the B16...

• RMweb Premium

Very handy that underside view. I suspect I will be making a new drawbar to space off loco and tender at scale separation, since the supplied one looks like it will saw through the wires whichever way around it is used, if operation is attempted at the scale option. It may well be possible to go one better and re-jig it all so the drawbar goes into the drag boxes; with the overall appearance so good, this sort of fiddling around  icing the cake is well justifiable.

I expect that the slight 'reveal' of the inset bottom of the boiler will be 'disappearable' by slight adjustment of the contacting surfaces where the body interior rests on the mechanism. This worked easily on the J15, and would have been equally possible on the D16/3 but was not required on my specimen.

And are those splashers behind the rear bogie wheels? Don't recall that detail in any previous RTR model of any class.

Now Hornby, about the B16...

I've set the drawbar at the 'close' position on mine and it traverses all the curves on my layout without further alteration; I think the end of the drawbar just clears the wires (unlike on the J15 where I cut off the unnecessary bit at the end).  I reminded myself that I didn't cut the ends off on either of my D16s, and so far the wiring has survived!  I might however think about making a new drawbar altogether as I think the gap could be closed up a bit more than even the 'short' position allows for, but will have to look up what the 'gap' actually was on the real locos.

Yes, they are the bogie wheel splashers.  First reaction is they look a bit 'outboard' but it may be that they are set to scale distance so the 16.5mm wheels are well shy of them.  Nice to see this detail though, along with many others!

By the way, if you don't want a coupling pocket on the front of the bogie, it will just spin round so that the pocket faces backwards!

Shown on LNER outline diagrams, as seven and a half inches between frame ends, or alternatively 8'3"  7'9" between trailing coupled axle and leading tender axle centres, or 48'3" total wheelbase of loco and tender.

ERROR corrected. For some inexplicable reason ability to perform basic arithmetic apparently departed me at time of original posting...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D